easy way to increase calories?

Options
mandy_lynn
mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
I'm having a hard time reaching an acceptable amount of net calories. I am a runner and usually have pretty high calorie burns.
What kind of quick things can I add to increase them? My only problem is that I am a bit of a picky eater. Do you add protein drinks? or protein bars? I have 2 little kids and am often eating on the go. Feel free to browse my diary, I think it's open.
I have increased my amount of food for breakfast and that's helped me a ton, keeps me full longer and helps me get closer to my goal.

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I like to have protein shakes...or i dip a banana into 30 grams of tahini or peanut butter. Make protein serves with meals larger....boiled eggs for snacks...nuts....avocado...add cheese to salads and sandwiches....i also have a protein mix its like almonds, seeds, buckwheat, quinoa etc that i sprinkle over my cereal.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Most people seek out more calorie dense foods at first, so that you're kinda eating the same amount of food, just more cals. A fave of many is adding some good fats to the diet. Fats are very calorie dense and good fats are good for your hair, skin, nails, and even tummy fat. So some nut butters, nuts, avocado, flaxseeds, etc. I also like adding good fats like flax/fish/coconut oil to my smoothies. They give the smoothie great texture, and make it easy to get it in. There are lots of yummy flavored fish oils out there, that add good flavor to the smoothie, as unrefined coconut oil will do the same thing. Also using oil based salad dressings can help, like oil/vinegar, etc..

Complex carbs are pretty cal dense as well, so seek out some good carbs w/lots of fiber, and that should help as well.

Although it's not essential, some people really benefit from setting a timer at the beginning. Try 3 hour intervals, and making yourself just eat something. After a few days of that, your body will adapt to those intervals and ask for food every few hours, when you are actually hungrier, it helps to be able to get it in. Once you are hungry enough to eat all the cals, you can adjust the eating schedule to whatever works best for your lifestyle..

~Kiki