Water Retention Question...

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
Ok, is it seriously possible to gain 1 pound per day of water if the only thing I've changed about my diet since eating more is eating more?! I haven't changed my salt intake or anything (and since I don't eat a lot of prepackaged foods or add salt to my food it can't have gone up that much with the additional food calories). I'm pretty sure the pound is water since I know I didn't up my calories by 3500/day and the huge indents in my ankles when I take my socks off my otherwise lean ankles is a total give away.

I know others have said they had some water retention but how did you combat it? This is getting annoying...3 pounds in 3 days! When does it stop!??? Feel free to view my diary...maybe you will see something I can't. (oh and if you see the quick add calories...those are usually a homemade meal with normal ingredients I didn't have time to input a recipe for)

(oh, I do P90X so I am lifting but I'm at the end of phase 2 and never had this much water retention for repair ... this is just new since I finally starting hitting my tdee-15% for calories this past week)

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Water weight is GOOD. There, I said it and I'll say it again ;D

Water is put into your muscles to cushion the newly-forming Muscles of Awesome that are growing. Water weight from working out is a good thing and I personally have recorded up to eight pounds of it in two days.

If you're not hiding a salt lick somewhere in your purse- you're most likely fine.

Now- if you're retaining water to where you can push in on your skin and it stays dented- then yes, go talk to a doc if it keeps up. Same goes for if you stop urinating. If you're peeing and don't dimple- then expect to have some awesome things start happening when your body repairs from your rest days :D
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Water weight is GOOD. There, I said it and I'll say it again ;D

Water is put into your muscles to cushion the newly-forming Muscles of Awesome that are growing. Water weight from working out is a good thing and I personally have recorded up to eight pounds of it in two days.

If you're not hiding a salt lick somewhere in your purse- you're most likely fine.

Now- if you're retaining water to where you can push in on your skin and it stays dented- then yes, go talk to a doc if it keeps up. Same goes for if you stop urinating. If you're peeing and don't dimple- then expect to have some awesome things start happening when your body repairs from your rest days :D

Love this answer. Water weight comes with the weight training territory, it's necessary. The body will fluctuate for sure.

As usual, Gemiwing has put it so well, nothing more needs to be said ;)

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    ok...water - good.... Sure is annoying though feeling so 'puffy'! I've had some water retention in the past but this is more than I normally get. I guess maybe the eating more calories makes the strength training water retention worse because now I have enough nutrition to actually build on the muscle....yep....I'll just go with that... hehe.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ok...water - good.... Sure is annoying though feeling so 'puffy'! I've had some water retention in the past but this is more than I normally get. I guess maybe the eating more calories makes the strength training water retention worse because now I have enough nutrition to actually build on the muscle....yep....I'll just go with that... hehe.

I would go with it because I think you summed it up perfectly!!! :D
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I fell like I'm going to pop from the water weight...ok...I'll tell myself it's a good thing