Stage 1 Calorie Questions

Options
newmari12
newmari12 Posts: 29 Member
I just started NROLFW on Monday and I am wondering about calorie intake. I know there are numerous posts on this but I can't seem to find any (maybe I'm blind) on people's experiences with eating at the suggested non-workout and workout numbers.

I calculated my own and on workout days I need to eat 2200 calories and 1956 calories on non-workout days. Has anyone started off the program without making any adjustments to the calculations suggested in the book? If so, at the end of Stage 1 what sorts of changes did you see in your body? Did you make adjustments to your calorie intake following the suggested 'trial month'? If so, what did you do - did you lower your calorie intake by 300 calories as suggested?

One more question - Tuesday was a non-workout day and because of a business meeting I had I accidentally went over the 1956 calories required for non-workout days but I managed to stay under the 2200 calories. Will this hamper my progress? I don't plan on doing this again but I can be so number oriented it's sort of bugging me today.

Replies

• kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Welcome! When I started I tried for 250-300 less than the maintenance number with 200 more on workout days. I am close to goal weight (about 10 lbs to go). I have lost about 3-5lbs during the program but I see much more definition in my arms, legs, back and even in my abs. I upped my calories to the maintenance number about a month ago so I am waiting to see how that plays out. I actually wish I had stuck with the book's recommendations earlier and I would have a better sense of it. After I was i doing the program for a little while I was ravenous so that was my cue to start eating more. In my experience this has not been a weight loss program so much as a fat loss/lean muscle mass gain program. I am thrilled with my results and my experience. I think my only regret is not eating at maintenance from the beginning. I think try the book's numbers but you may want to stay off the scale because you will likely experience a gain related to the heavy lifting that has to do with muscle repair/fluid retention. Take measurements and photos and reassess if you can wait at least 4-6 weeks to make changes.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've just started also, and I'm having trouble eating as much as they recommend, especially protein. I'm thinking I need to do more protein shakes. But I'm just not hungry after about 1600-1800 calories, rather than the 1800-2200 range I figured using the book's equasions (depending on the workout level that day). I figure I'll stick around 1600-1800 and see how that goes for a month or so.

But yesterday for example, I ate like normal, worked out after dinner, then went to MFP and tallied everything, and it was only 1,456 calories-- after my post-workout shake! I was totally not hungry and didn't want to eat any more, except some fresh chips from the corner diner, because those are delicious. Because I am not going on this fitness plan to starve OR overeat, right? :)

Anyways my point is, my advice is, eat at a level you feel comfortable, but aim to hit the macronutrient percentages in the book, 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. You can set those levels in MFP under My Home, goals, custom. I think that might be more important than the calories number. Then be aware of your feelings/hunger/muscle tiredness, and re-evaluate after a nice test period.

To your second question, I don't think one day of overeating is going to hamper your progress. The human body is a sort of machine, but not one that needs "9 volts, no more, no less", you know what I mean? Besides, you're intending to undereat for awhile, right?

Track your progress, then evaluate your data. It's like you're a science experiment! ...That makes it fun for me, anyways.
  • newmari12
    newmari12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think I'll stick to the recommendations of the book and see where I am in one month. I've taken measurments and pictures so I am hoping I'll see a difference. I'm not at all worried about the scale (I'm about 10lbs away from where I would like to be) because my main goal is losing body fat (I'm at 27% and I'd like to be closer to 20%) and leaning out.

Dangerflakes, I think I'm going to start thinking of it as a science experiment!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on not worrying about the scale. I used to lift wights, but that was years ago, and I've technically lost weight since then-- down to 130 from 145-- but I have been wearing the same clothes! So I realize I'm going to gain weight as I put the muscles back on. That's what I want.

That's why I'm really starting to think the idea of my weight defining what I eat is flawed. I mean they are related, but the direct correlation of weight--calories has got to be missing a lot of factors. I'm a little uncertain about eating 2200 calories in one day, but I'm sure I'll change my mind when the workouts start getting tougher and I'm lifting 50 pounds above body weight (which is where I started).
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've also upped my calories and I'm really struggling to eat enough. I feel like I'm eating almost all day long at the moment!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last week of stage 1. I upped calories right away. However, although I am pleased with my strength gains and the definition I am seeing in my arms and upper back, my waist measurement has increased. I am NOT happy. what gives?

I started at 27.5, and I'm about 28.25 now. This is really frustrating. My weight is up just a bit; less than a pound, but the waist measurement is exactly the opposite of what I had hoped. Anyone else?

I do non-dairy protein shakes and bars, because whey protein kills me, however I have added in cheeses and some yogurt that, while they are not causing pain, I am often finding myself bloated. (When I took the measurement, I didn't feel bloated though; stomach still flat).

grrrrrrrr.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump

I didn't up my cals until stage 2 because I was STARVING. I start phase 3 tom and take measurements on sat, so I'll post update. Good luck!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I still am super confused on my calories.

I am like the sample woman in the book (140 pounds, BMI below 25)

so according to him, i should be eating 2000 calories every day! 2257 on workout days and 2,500 on super strenuous work and workout days. He says that if you must cut calories,dont go more than 300, so im still supposed to eat 1700 on non-workout days and 2000 on workout days? That just seems like way too much...or am I reading wrong?

I've been at 1240 and upped it today to 1300, changing the macros to 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs as well. I actually havent started the program yet but was planning to monday......I'm 140 lbs and would like to be about 10 less than that - I am trying to be one of the girls that doesnt pay as much attention to the number on the scale and more to how things fit/I look but I honestly dont know if I am at this point. So I suppose I am trying to eat at a bit less than maintenance to try to lose a bit more as well.

If anyone can help me out and make sure I'm on the right track I'd really appreciate it I know this is probably extremely redundant and been asked a million times but I still feel lost!
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I still am super confused on my calories.

I am like the sample woman in the book (140 pounds, BMI below 25)

so according to him, i should be eating 2000 calories every day! 2257 on workout days and 2,500 on super strenuous work and workout days. He says that if you must cut calories,dont go more than 300, so im still supposed to eat 1700 on non-workout days and 2000 on workout days? That just seems like way too much...or am I reading wrong?

I've been at 1240 and upped it today to 1300, changing the macros to 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs as well. I actually havent started the program yet but was planning to monday......I'm 140 lbs and would like to be about 10 less than that - I am trying to be one of the girls that doesnt pay as much attention to the number on the scale and more to how things fit/I look but I honestly dont know if I am at this point. So I suppose I am trying to eat at a bit less than maintenance to try to lose a bit more as well.

If anyone can help me out and make sure I'm on the right track I'd really appreciate it I know this is probably extremely redundant and been asked a million times but I still feel lost!

You have it exactly right, that is how I read it to.
  • eugenia1073
    eugenia1073 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Soccerela, I think 1,300 calories is way too low! I would increase it to at least 1600 calories on non workout days. See how you do...
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1300 sounds very low - I was eating below that before I started NROL. I'm now supposed to be eating 2111!! I'm aiming for 1990 at the moment and struggling, but will up again in a week or so I guess. I have more weight to lose than you too. What is your BMR? You should never eat below that. :)

Sleepytexan: Maybe your maintenance calories are lower than the book suggests? Frustrating =/