'DID YOU KNOW?"

Options
savedchild8
savedchild8 Posts: 148 Member
I think I'm an information junkie...:laugh: . Just love sharing, and having some fun! Hope you enjoy!!!

1) Wanna burn? LOL.....Your body temperature is incredibly hot at approximately 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, and ice water is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. In order to maintain homeostasis (a constant internal temperature), your body has to bring that ice water up by about 60 degrees, and, by definition, it takes 1 calorie to raise the temperature of 1 liter of water by approximately 2 degrees Fahrenheit. That means that to raise the temperature of 1 liter of ice water by 60 degrees Fahrenheit, your body would burn about 30 calories. Two liters, which is about eight glasses of water, would burn 60 calories

2) A study conducted at Vanderbilt University found that 10 to 15 minutes of sustained giggling burned 50 calories Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/293257-how-many-calories-are-burned-laughing/#ixzz1sE2v46YK Time for lunch....continue to be encouraged.....lots of love!!

3) How special you are? Just thought I'd throw this in....YES YOU ARE!! :flowerforyou:

4) As we get older, the amount of muscle tends to decrease and fat accounts for more of your weight, slowing down calorie burning. .... So I guess I'll just have to act younger......:laugh:

5) Researchers at Vanderbilt University found adults burn an average of 1.3 calories per minute while laughing with their friends. That’s about the same number of calories you burn while taking notes in a classroom or standing and talking on the phone. But laughter has other benefits besides burning calories, including relief of emotional stress and a workout for the muscles of the diaphragm, abdomen, back, and shoulders. Read about the benefits of laughter from the Guide to Stress Management at About.com. ..... LAUGH, LOVE, AND LIVE!! :bigsmile:

6) If you...“Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you.” :heart:

7) GET PLENTY OF REST: “There is some evidence that sleep deprivation could lead to pre-diabetic state,” says Mark Mahowald, MD, director of the Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center in Hennepin County. According to Mahowald, the body's reaction to sleep loss can resemble insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. Insulin’s job is to help the body use glucose for energy. In insulin resistance, cells fail to use the hormone efficiently, resulting in high blood sugar. Diabetes occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin or the cells do not properly use the insulin. When insulin is not doing its job, high blood sugar levels build in the body to the point where they can harm the eyes, kidneys, nerves, or heart.

8) OH LORD DO WE HAVE TO THROW AWAY OUR YELLOW DRESSES....SHIRTS IF YOU ARE A GUY? :) Of course I'm just having a little fun....This was interesting!

"Think twice before you paint your kitchen walls sunshine yellow. Not only could yellow walls spark more family quarrels, they could also cause you to eat more and gain weight. That's because psychologically and physiologically, yellow is a stimulating color, causing tempers--and appetites--to flare. Warm colors like red and yellow stimulate the appetite"

Read more: http://voices.yahoo.com/color-psychology-dieting-different-colors-4973404.html

9) PATIENCE BREEDS ENDURANCE: : Why do I want to lose overnight what took a lifetime to gain? LOL....Well we all know the answer! Lets remember...it does take time. Each one of us has a different metabolism, so some may lose a lot easier, and quicker. If we just stick with it, we will be happy with the results. If we quit then we are guaranteed to fail. We're ALL different, so let's not make the mistake of comparing ourselves to another. Don't be discouraged.....sometimes we have to encourage ourselves. Be happy with every ounce that is lost.....REJOICE.....and again I say....REJOICE!! ((hugs))

Thanks for this contribution Jadedone ..... :flowerforyou: 10) I don't use the word fat for sure. I think that overweight and obese are states, not adjectives. Kinda like being hungry. At some times during the day you are hungry or thirsty. But it isn't a permanent phenomenon, just a temporary state. :)

There are a lot of assumptions about what "obese," "heavy" and "overweight" people are like. The way I see it, being healthy isn't a clothing size or number on the scale. It is all about adopting healthy behaviors and being consistent about it.
1. Eating well (and eating you produce)
2. Staying active
3. Setting goals and surpassing them
4. And don't forget about your mental state. This is important too.

So fat? I don't use it a descriptor for anyone. It is meaningless.

Replies

• savedchild8
    Options
    Do you have some interesting fitness, and health facts to share. Something you've personally discovered while on your journey? We need P.U.M.P.E.D. Your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • savedchild8
    Options
    Where are my PUMPS?

How are you?

:smile:
  • savedchild8
    Options
    DID YOU KNOW:

To Improve Blood Pressure:
    The potassium in spinach can help to reduce your blood pressure. A 1-cup serving of cooked spinach contains 839 mg of potassium. The American Heart Association recommends you aim for 4,700 mg of potassium from natural foods per day to improve heart health. Potassium is a mineral that helps you to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance and it counteracts the effects of sodium on your blood pressure. A high potassium diet is not appropriate for everyone. Certain illnesses, such as kidney disease, require a potassium-restricted diet. Talk to your doctor about your daily potassium needs.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/402977-spinach-health-benefits/#ixzz1uCpZsBA4

Studies show that spinach contains goitrogens which interfere with the functioning of the thyroid gland.
    Therefore, people with thyroid problems may need to AVOID spinach.

** ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    I dont have any facts like that but thank you for sharing these. Very interesting!!! :happy:
  • fdixie
    fdixie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Weight-loss goals: 10 tips for success from the Mayo Clinic

Weight-loss goals — How do you set successful weight-loss goals? These 10 tips can help.
    Weight-loss goals can mean the difference between success and failure. Realistic, well-planned weight-loss goals keep you focused and motivated. They provide a plan for change as you think about and transition into your healthy lifestyle.

But not all weight-loss goals are helpful. Unrealistic and overly aggressive weight-loss goals — for example, losing 10 pounds each week or fitting into your high school jeans from 20 years back — can undermine your efforts. They're difficult, if not impossible, to meet. And if your weight-loss goals are beyond reach, you're more likely to feel frustrated and discouraged and give up on your dieting plans.

10 weight-loss tips
    It's OK to dream big. Just use these 10 tips for creating weight-loss goals that will help you achieve your big dreams.

1. Personalize your goals. Set goals that are within your capabilities and that take into account your limitations. Also, consider your personal fitness level, health concerns, available time and motivation. Tailoring your expectations to your personal situation helps you set achievable goals.

2. Aim for realistic weight loss. Healthy weight loss usually occurs slowly and steadily. In general, plan to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week (0.5 to 1 kilogram) — even if your initial weight loss is a little faster in the first week or two. To do this, you need to burn 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume each day. Also, don't expect to lose more of your body weight than is realistic. For instance, set a goal of losing 10 percent of your current weight, rather than 30 percent.

3. Focus on the process. Make most of your goals process goals, rather than outcome goals. "Exercise regularly" is an example of a process goal, while "weigh 145 pounds" is an example of an outcome goal. It's changing your processes — your daily behaviors and habits — that's key to weight loss, not necessarily focusing on a specific number on the scale. Just make sure that your process goals are specific, measurable and realistic, too.

4. Think short term and long term. Short-term goals keep you engaged on a daily basis, but long-term goals motivate you over the long haul. Your short-term goals can become stepping stones to reaching long-term goals. Because healthy, permanent weight loss can be a long process, your goals need to be feasible for the long term.

5. Write it down. When planning your goals, write down everything and go through all the details. When and where will you do it? How will you fit a walk into your schedule? What do you need to get started? What snacks can you cut out each day? Then track your progress to see if you're meeting your goals.

6. Pick a date. Timing is crucial, often making the difference between success and failure. Choose a definite start date for your weight-loss program and don't put that date off for anything. Be sure to account for life circumstances that might hamper your efforts, such as work or school demands, vacations or relationship problems. You may need to resolve some issues before starting.

7. Start small. It's helpful to plan a series of small goals that build on each other instead of one big, all-encompassing goal. Remember that you're in this for the long haul. Anything you undertake too intensely or too vigorously will quickly become uncomfortable, and you're more likely to give it up.

8. Plan for setbacks. Setbacks are a natural part of behavior change. Everyone who successfully makes changes in his or her life has experienced setbacks. Identifying potential roadblocks — a big holiday meal or office party, for example — and brainstorming specific strategies to overcome them can help you stay on course or get back on course.

9. Evaluate your progress. Review your goals each week. Were you able to successfully meet your goals last week? Think about what worked and what didn't. Make plans for how you will reach your goals both today and during the course of the week.

10. Reassess and adjust your goals as needed. Be willing to change your goals as you make progress in your weight-loss plan. If you started small, you might be ready to take on larger challenges. Or, you might find that you need to adjust your goals to better fit your new lifestyle. If you find that you have to make frequent adjustments downward or constantly scale back, you may not be setting realistic weight-loss goals in the first place — head back to tip No. 1.
  • savedchild8
    Options
    :flowerforyou: WOW!!!!

WHAT AN AWESOME POST!!

Thank you sooooooo much fdixie!!

Please keep them coming!!

So much appreciated!!!!

That's what I'm talking about!!

YOU ARE A P.U.M.P!
  • savedchild8