Sore Feet (Achilles)

Options
I am just starting week 5 day 1 of the couch to 5 k program. For the last week my achilles tendons are very sorry. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong and is there some way to relieve this pain so I can continue my program?

Replies

• mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you warm up your achillies before running and stretch afterwards? Are you running in properly fitted running shoes, as advised by a running shop / gait analysis ?
  • debbiemallen
    Options
    I have started stretching them before and after my runs. I mostly feel the soreness when I get up on the morning. Go go down the stairs is a real chore until they loosen up after a couple of minutes. I think I will take your advice on going to a running shop that can do the gait analysis. My shoes seem to be fine but possibly could be the problem. I thought they were good shoes Sauconys. Thanks
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sauconys are a good running shoe but maybe not for your feet, as it turns out i have Nike feet - The running shop guru had me in Mizunos, Asics, Saucys and 2 pairs of Nike - One of which fitted perfectly. As I understand it the gait analysis and getting the right fitting shoe is a major factor in minimising risk of injury.

Good luck!
  • ProjectTina
    Options
    For achilles pain you should also watch the kind of surface you're running one. Try to vary the surface and softer is better. Running up hill can also be extra strenuous on the achilles.
    Good luck, and hope you find the right shoes :)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Don't stretch right after a run. It's best to stretch when warm, not hot or cold. Maybe after a 10-20 minute cool down
  • debbiemallen
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and knowledge. Very much appreciated!
  • ErikaKBee
    ErikaKBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use to have achilles problems. I ended up needing more supportive shoes and I started using a foam roller to stretch.