Question re: menopause and general mood change

Options
sunnyrunner77
sunnyrunner77 Posts: 47 Member
Hello there - question for all the ladies with experience with this menopause thing. Brief back story - had a total hysterectomy and last ovary removed in February. Been taking 1mg/day of Estradiol, and I have no compliants about hot flashes, and have been losing weight (SLOWLY) but steadily. But over the past few weeks, I'm noticing a subtle but annoying change in my mood. I have decreased desire to do much of anything, find myself getting upset at things that I used to take in stride, and am easily frustrated by minor things. I'm also quieter, and just not as much fun as I used to be. I know this is likely due to the changes in my hormones sorting themselves out post-surgery, but any thoughts for easy fixes? I already take a daily time-released B-12 vitamin to help out with energy. Should I increase my hormones? Talk to my doc about anti-depressants? Is there a natural and/or cheap fix? Appreciate everyone's input!

Replies

• MeliciousGibson
    Options
    Hey, Sunny!

First, let me tell you that I had a hysterectomy 5-1/2 years ago, and just had my last remaining ovary out last October. I wason the 1mg oral estrogen for a couple of months (2 different kinds), but I switched to the Estradiol patch, because I was still having hot-flashes like a MUTHA, as well as the "bummer" or "funk" moods. The patch has helped a TON as far as the energy and moods go. I have a lot fewer depressed episodes than ever before, and the ones I do are so much shorter. The only downside is that with all of my working out/sweating, I have to use medical tape to keep it on after 4-5 days.
    One thing that has also helped me is progesterone cream. Talk to your doctor about it before running out and trying it, he/she may recommend a test to see how your hormones are now. But without ovaries, you're just not producing the same hormones naturally as you would with them.
    Both of these things have helped me be more "myself" than I've been in YEARS! Best of luck to you!