some thoughts on "it's just math"

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
:smile: While I was out for my morning run (I burned 400 calories) and again while walking to work (200 calories), I was ruminating on the "it's just math" crowd. Here, and in real life.

Don't get me wrong. It IS math. But there's more to the story than that. And I'm often bemused (yeah, let's go with that) when 20somethings women and MEN tell me (ME! in the throes of menopause) that "it's just math". I always want to ask: You've done this, have you? :bigsmile: You've been through menopause?

I'm not over weight. My husband asks me daily why I'm working so damned hard. My answer: I want to stay healthy.

For the last 10 or so years I've weighed 130 pounds (I'm 5'6"). I've used a fitness calculator similar to MFP for about 10 years (prior to this I slowly crept up to 156 and decided I needed to learn to eat before I did become overweight, so I did). I know how to eat.

As I said, I've been using a fitness calculator. Off and on, when I felt I needed to.
Eight years ago, my doctor convinced me to try Mirena. I'd used hormonal BC before, so I was armed and ready with fitday.com I calculated my calories and workouts before the mirena and in the days after I got it. I kept things steady. And BAM 5lbs. No math there. Hormones, water, stress, cortisol...

I had the mirena removed (for various reasons) and slowly (with the same numbers, the same math) the 5LBS came off.
4 years ago I had an allergic reaction to a black widow bite and had to have a series of steroid shots. No worries, I was gearing up for summer and had been reviewing my calories/workouts. Steroids? No problem! BAM 5LBS. This time it was harder to knock that off. But hey, I'm getting older. Same math, but it was harder going.

These days, I've been using either "Lose it" or MFP for about 3 years. Pretty consistently. I eat well. I eat food, not too much, mostly plants. I do cardio and weights 5 times a week. I’m fit.

Still, as we know, the weight creeps on. The metabolism slows down… I used the tried and true MATH and the pounds wouldn’t budge. I know how to lose 5 LBS! Last fall I asked my doc for bio identical progesterone cream. I was bloated, my fingers felt fat, I had hot flashes. All the usual symptoms. Immediately, the bloating went away. And now, a few months later, the 5LBS are coming off. The math didn’t change. My hormonal situation did.

It is math. It’s also other things. *WE* know this. The (sometimes caring, sometimes snarky) “it’s just math” comments don’t take what we know into consideration.

It’s funny. “It’s math!” but when it’s the last ten pounds, the answer from the "it's just math" crowd seems to change! How come it’s not just “math” any more then, but it’s "just math" when it’s our situation?

It all reminds me of that poster we used to see that sorta picked on teens: Teenagers, Tired Of Being Harassed By Your Parents? Act Now!! Move Out, Get A Job, Pay Your Own Way While You Still Know Everything!

20somethings, female and male, don’t know everything about menopause. :smile:

My point: thanks for having this group! :drinker:

Replies

• Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well said! :happy:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Well said! :happy:
    Thanks!
  • sweatymary
    Options
    Fantastic blog :-D

I'm compiling a not for profit book of 'menopause stories' and I would love to include this!

Please let me know if you would agree?

Very many thanks
    Alison :-D x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Fantastic blog :-D

I'm compiling a not for profit book of 'menopause stories' and I would love to include this!

Please let me know if you would agree?

Very many thanks
    Alison :-D x
    Sure! If you think anyone would want to read it. :-)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Amen, Sister!
  • Annec0911
    Annec0911 Posts: 48
    Options
    Sooo true Sabine!!

I never was much good at math anyway!! :huh:
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Such a great point!! It's definitely not math...I think of it as chemistry LOL! But really, you need to find what formula works and since our chemistry (women of a certain age) is always changing, it makes it that much harder to figure out the formula!
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when someone our age is not losing and the first thing everyone says is you are not eating enough...bump up your calories. The said truth is at my age and current hormonal situation I would gain.

It is not all in the "math" there are to many variables that vary from person to person....age...current weight....hormones...medication. There is no one size fits all.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Remember even in math, there are different kinds of functions. I like to compare the post-menopause life to an exponential function. Things progress at a great curve the more you age. I would love to be my 27 year old weight, but because of math, I am 15 pounds heavier at age 55. It's okay, math is physics; physics, is science; science is life, and I am enjoying living.
  • Annec0911
    Annec0911 Posts: 48
    Options
    Love the exponential function analogy. Very accurate :laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Love the exponential function analogy. Very accurate :laugh:
    Me too!:drinker:
  • fibrogirl
    fibrogirl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I totally agree,at 50 I´m still trying to lose the extra weight I gained thanks to a Mirena and now having undergone a hysterectomy it´s even worse despite the math!! :blushing:
  • Mstubbs26
    Mstubbs26 Posts: 11
    Options
    agree totally!!!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I totally agree,at 50 I´m still trying to lose the extra weight I gained thanks to a Mirena and now having undergone a hysterectomy it´s even worse despite the math!! :blushing:
    Oh so sorry you had Mirena weight gain. Did your doc tell you it wouldn't have any "systemic effects"? Mine did. After 2 weeks I'd gained weight, gone up a bra size, was cranky and, well, it was great birth control because I didn't want sex!
    I was so glad when I had it removed (except I had quite a stunning hormone crash).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    just had this conversation again with someone (in his 20s) and thought of this post. BUMP lol.
  • lemony57
    lemony57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yea, it's not just math. I've always eaten well and exercised, could drop 5 pounds by exercising a little more and being a little more careful with the food intake. I am post menopause now and 55, it's a struggle to accept that my body has changed and acquired 10 extra pounds, mostly around the middle.
    I continue to do yoga, cardio, weights, and am conscious of what I am putting into my body.
    I hope by joining this group I will be able to learn from others who have gone thru this.

In the meantime, I am trying to stay positive and focus on the plusses in my life. Yea, i can do math, this defies logic :)
  • lbbcvt
    lbbcvt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    love this thread.........so funny. It is so not just math. It's attitude, hormones, stress,it's having kids and senior parents in your life, its having a job, a home, a marriage/relationship all at the same time
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I am working out harder and eating better than I've ever eaten in my ENTIRE LIFE!!!!

I do more consistent workouts (I'm a Zumba instructor 4-6 hours/week). My vitals are all in the perfect range. Using conventional "math" I haven't lost a single stinking pound in MONTHS. What's changed - the hormone I'm now on.

The one I was on previously made me pop up about 25 lbs. I changed to a different kind and I dropped 15 lbs. in 2 months! I've since gained back about 5lbs. of that and have seen NO movement at all either in the scale or tape measure in months.

I'm more confused now than ever - because I've been trying "their" math, and I have to tell you - IT ISN'T WORKING FOR ME!

So - I'm just telling myself that I am going to listen to my body. When I'm thirsty I drink. When I'm hungry I eat. As long as I keep the eating in moderation and healthy foods I should be good.

After all, I'm in menopause - do I really need to look "perfect" or do I want to be "healthy"?
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Amen, Sister!