little over a month in and now seeing weight inceasing

Options
giag09
giag09 Posts: 203 Member
i know its not much i usually fluctuate up and down 2lbs but i was mainting for this whole month a 2 lb lost and i have noticed over the past 4 days the weight creeping up .... is this normal even though i have been increasing over the past 1 1/2 months or is it time to decrease my calories? please anyone check my diary and see if you can make sense of it! THANKS ! :)

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

I find it very helpful to track my sodium and I notice that you aren't tracking it. While you may think eating the salad spritzers and already-prepared chicken breasts are healthy (and they are), they may be very high in sodium. And that could be why the scale is creeping up there if you're taking in too much....major water retention.

Also, you'd probably benefit from increasing your protein to at least your minimum amount. You seem to eat a lot of fruit so it would be good if you could maybe sub one of those fruits for a veggie, like maybe some raw carrots with a cheese stick or a tomato/cucumber salad.

It sounds like you're doing really well overall, though! Keep it up! If it's any consolation, I keep gaining and losing the SAME 2 pounds!!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    i know its not much i usually fluctuate up and down 2lbs but i was mainting for this whole month a 2 lb lost and i have noticed over the past 4 days the weight creeping up .... is this normal even though i have been increasing over the past 1 1/2 months or is it time to decrease my calories? please anyone check my diary and see if you can make sense of it! THANKS ! :)

Ok, I think your cals are still low, your protein is too low, and as twinmom mentioned...I bet your sodium is quite high due to the prepackaged foods on your list. They are so full of sodium, if I go over 2500, KNOW I will be 2-4lbs heavier on the scale the next day...that is how my body lets me know to back off the sodium. I would advise as TwinMom to start tracking your sodium, but also, fiber too.

Now, please calc your tdee for me with your BMR...use the activity level MODERATE:-) Ok?
  • giag09
    Options
    thanks on my ipod i track my sodium and fiber my sodium i have seen it go up to 600 over so i will pay attention to that my fiber i know is always over which is a good thing i believe.? whenever i see the numbers go up i get nervous my bmr is 1388 and my tdee with a 15% deficit is 1828 so maybe i need to eat more calories?

how much nuts/ peanut butter is ok to eat in a day? i tend to eat 2tbs pb and 100 cal pack of almonds.... peanut butter is good for you right?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    thanks on my ipod i track my sodium and fiber my sodium i have seen it go up to 600 over so i will pay attention to that my fiber i know is always over which is a good thing i believe.? whenever i see the numbers go up i get nervous my bmr is 1388 and my tdee with a 15% deficit is 1828 so maybe i need to eat more calories?

how much nuts/ peanut butter is ok to eat in a day? i tend to eat 2tbs pb and 100 cal pack of almonds.... peanut butter is good for you right?

Ok, you aren't hitting your numbers...I went back 3 days or so and you haven't hit a total of 1800 yet...YES, GO UP hun....I know it seems like it just doesn't make sense, that if you are not losing with what you are eating, how will you lose hitting 1820...BUT I am hear to tell you...I did not lose fat until I started eating at least 20% of my TDEE, then I HAD to go up because I sure did plateau there....I think you are still bouncing..not trending up...the last few days sodium is why you are up a bit...please give 1820 a go and eat every bit of it...eat 1820 on your workout days, on days off, every day:-)
  • giag09
    Options
    thanks lucia i needed that encouragment! I am going to try this is so mental i was so stuck and that mindset and have gone through such obsessions that you could even consider it eating disorders that its hard to fathom but i am going to try my best!
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am so right there with you giag09!! This is my 5th week and as of this morning I have gained > 3 lbs since starting to eat more...eeeek! But, I'm going to stick it out because even though the scale story is confusing, I'm seeing positive changes: #1 this week I have been starving, even while eating my TDEE - 15% everyday, and I think my body is finally figuring out that I am going to give it what it needs, #2 my muscle tone is improving, and #3 In the past 2 weeks, I've lost an 1/2 inch on my waist (aka the place that fat doesn't ever budge from) DESPITE gaining 3 lbs!

Hang in there, we just gotta keep doing what we are doing - it will turn around!!! :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I am so right there with you giag09!! This is my 5th week and as of this morning I have gained > 3 lbs since starting to eat more...eeeek! But, I'm going to stick it out because even though the scale story is confusing, I'm seeing positive changes: #1 this week I have been starving, even while eating my TDEE - 15% everyday, and I think my body is finally figuring out that I am going to give it what it needs, #2 my muscle tone is improving, and #3 In the past 2 weeks, I've lost an 1/2 inch on my waist (aka the place that fat doesn't ever budge from) DESPITE gaining 3 lbs!

Hang in there, we just gotta keep doing what we are doing - it will turn around!!! :)

That is awesome...muscle weighs more and takes up less space.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    thanks lucia i needed that encouragment! I am going to try this is so mental i was so stuck and that mindset and have gone through such obsessions that you could even consider it eating disorders that its hard to fathom but i am going to try my best!

Oh my I so understand completely... I was you... I went through so much battling in my mind... stalled my weight loss dropping back down, netting less than I should...finally I just really ignored what my mind was saying and watched myself lean out...the inches to me is sooooo much more important than the scale. Right now I am wearing pants I could not get my thigh in at this same weight...because of more muscle and less fat.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Someone on the fitness board made this analogy and I thought it was so much easier to picture:

Imagine 60 lbs of fat being the size of a bowling ball

Now imagine 60 lbs of muscle being the size of a baseball

Same weight but much different in size!!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options

Oh my I so understand completely... I was you... I went through so much battling in my mind... stalled my weight loss dropping back down, netting less than I should...finally I just really ignored what my mind was saying and watched myself lean out...the inches to me is sooooo much more important than the scale. Right now I am wearing pants I could not get my thigh in at this same weight...because of more muscle and less fat.

Lucia, I can't help but smile every time I read one of your posts. You are so encouraging and inspirational!!!
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Someone on the fitness board made this analogy and I thought it was so much easier to picture:

Imagine 60 lbs of fat being the size of a bowling ball

Now imagine 60 lbs of muscle being the size of a baseball

Same weight but much different in size!!!

Love this - so true!!! Thanks for the perspective! :)
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Lucia, I can't help but smile every time I read one of your posts. You are so encouraging and inspirational!!!"
    [/quote]

I agree! I read these threads looking for advice and encouragement and always find it in your posts! You are truly a blessing to so many.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Aww...thanks:-)

I just remember being in the same place with the doubts, fears, etc...so I want to help anyway I can....