Still sore after every work out

Options
nic2561
nic2561 Posts: 21 Member
I am currently wrapping up Stage 1, I lift on MWF and then do some cardio over the weekend. I still get sore every time I lift. Does this happen to anyone else?? It's good in a way because for the most part I avoid the scale when I'm sore, knowing that I'm most likely retaining water and I mentally don't deal well with seeing the scale go up. I have been increasing weight almost every time I work out but I'm still kind of surprised at this constant state of soreness. I'm nervous about adding new movements in Stage 2, I won't be able to move!!!

Replies

• eugenia1073
    eugenia1073 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Did you just started lifting with NROL? Or were you doing it before?
    I began doing weights about a year ago, and i think probably the first 3 or 4 months I was sore after each workout too. I had not exercised at all for 15 years!!
    i've done 2 NROL workouts and so far I have not been sore at all. Tired yes, but not sore. i wanted to.

If it's really bad you might want to stay in stage 1 for a couple of weeks... And check how you feel.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    my butt stay sore. I have to take extra days off sometimes
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I was consistently sore through all of stage 1 and I would think it was just a result of consistently increasing my weights and challenging myself, like you said you were doing. I don't think that's anything to worry about, just take extra rest days if you feel you need them.

I took a week off lifting before starting stage 2 to give my body some recovery time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my hamstrings and glutes are on permasore. i just consider it a part of my body now
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Occasional soreness is expected, especially when starting a new stage. However, if you're doing a proper general warm-up (see pages 129-132), exercise specific warm-ups (see page 133), and a proper cool-down (stretching ALL muscles) then severe or prolonged soreness will not be an issue. NEVER skip the cool-down. A good stretch lasts for 30-60 seconds per muscle.
  • nic2561
    nic2561 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is pretty much new territory for me. The only weights I did in the past were a few machines and then some total body conditioning classes here and there. I'm starting Stage 2 next week so I'm giving myself the week off from weights. I did run a few miles on Monday after not running for months so now I'm sore from that. Probably not the best idea! Yoga tonight though.

I am guilty of always skipping the cool down so I will start incorporating that into my workout. Thanks for the replies!!!