NROL4W and weight loss?

Options
karensoxfan
karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
I hope this isn't a dumb newbie question (or one that's already answered somewhere else), but all the results posts/threads I've seen here since I joined seem like women are losing inches, but not usually losing weight, which worries me because I medically NEED to lose weight.

I WANT to be stronger & smaller, too, which is what led me to NROL4W, and I understand that losing fat & gaining muscle will benefit my metabolism in the long term, but I'm curious about whether some of the more experienced women using this plan have lost weight WHILE using it, or only lost inches?

I also understand that any weight loss might not be immediate, but if you have lost weight while following NROL4W, how long did it take?

Replies

• JustACaJen
    JustACaJen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump.... good question!
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I haven't lost and I haven't gained (unless I eat a bunch, then it's only temporary!) So, I think my body is just replacing some fat with some muscles (at a very slow rate!). I know I've got more muscles, because I can see them, and I can pick up/lift heavier things. Are you eating at a deficit as the book recommends for losing weight? Because I am eating at a small deficit, but I am not really looking to lose pounds.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I had hoped I'd be able to use WW for my food plan (with a focus on getting enough protein), and eat back my activity points, considering my daily points are the same as what I calculate for the book's recommendations, because I prefer counting points to calories right now, but maybe I need to reconsider that? I had re-set my MFP target to 1430/day (book advises 1404/day for me on non-lifting days at a 300 calorie deficit), which means I my target protein is 107 g. or more, which is challenging.

But if I'm not losing doing WW & NROL4W together (eating more on lifting days, including a protein recovery shake), I'll probably go back to tracking calories & macro-nutrients here, too.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Depending on your medical issues, increasing your body's functional mass could be just as effective as dropping the pounds. I know the physiatrist I see for back issues specifies that either losing weight or getting stronger would do the trick as far as relieving the stress of weight from my joints.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    The medical reason I need to lose weight is my cholesterol & HDL/LDL. I do NOT want to go on meds for them, but having increased my total chol. by 30 points when I gained this weight I'm trying to lose, my Dr. advised nutrition, exercise AND weight-loss to bring it back down.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. I also need to lose poundage. Lots of it! I stalled on mainly cardio, so I'm hoping this will kickstart it again.
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Wish I had a different answer to this question. I really haven't had a noticeable weight change either up or down. Was eating at a deficit then recently increased to maintenance. Close to goal (about 10lbs) but seems pretty stubborn. That being said I feel confident that I have increased my lean muscle mass and decreased body fat as clothes are looser, a lot more visible muscle definition and increases in strength so that has all been great. Finished this program and really loved it. Now doing P90X in hopes of losing these last 10lbs. In any case, hopefullyyou will see an increase in your HDL (good chol) and decrease in your LDL (bad cholesterol).
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    If you are worried about cholesterol from protein foods like beef/chicken, just skip that and supplement with shakes. I use protein shakes from a brand called Syntrax and it's pure whey protein, so no cholesterol. It's only 100 calories and 23 grams of protein, so no extra junk in them either. I think they that pretty yummy too (chocolate and cappuccino are my favs).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm looking to lose weight as well as inches. my belief is that my joints aren't going to differentiate if it's 200 pounds of 34% body fat pounding on them or 20% body fat pounding on it.

the scale is moving in the right direction for me but it can be slow going. some weeks it's a pound, others 2, others nothing. i figure as long as i'm eating at a deficit then eventually pounds will come off
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I did about 8 weeks of NROLW last year and found that I did not lose weight, but did lose inches. I think my diet wasn't good enough. I am restarting NROLW right now, but I have a different attitude about it. I decided that since I am obese, my #1 job is to drop fat. I will do that through calorie deficit created by nutrition. The NROLW is to help me be stronger and feel better - and perhaps hold on to some of the muscle I have (although I don't need all of it - you get a lot of muscle dragging a lard *kitten* all over the place). I also am better with nutrition when I exercise regularly, and I just plain LIKE lifting weights so I'm doing it for all those reasons. But not for weight loss. But I don't even think cardio is very effective for weight loss - I mean, what's easier, burning 500 calories through exercise, or cutting it out of your food intake? For me it's much more practical to think of exercise as a way to stay fit and healthy, but to focus on the food intake for weight loss.
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    But I don't even think cardio is very effective for weight loss - I mean, what's easier, burning 500 calories through exercise, or cutting it out of your food intake? For me it's much more practical to think of exercise as a way to stay fit and healthy, but to focus on the food intake for weight loss.

Wise words.