Food and Meal Ideas

Options
jchrisman717
jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
I am in need of some ideas for getting my calories up without eating a ton of processed foods. I have to cook for my husband to at night and he is not good at new things, but he is going to try! Anyone have any ideas or recipies that they have tried and are good?

Replies

• konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was just about to start a similar post!!! I am in need of good lunch ideas. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    I have a few ideas and will post them as I try them. But my hardest challenge is planning ahead and trying to find something that I can fix hubby and I can either eat too or at least modify a little to eat with him.

I know we are all trying to get our protein up so I thought I would share my afternoon coffee. If you put a litte coffee in the cup - add 1 scoop of (I do chocolate whey) protein and stir it up really good until its thick and smooth, then pour the rest of the coffee in and stir - its a great afternoon pick me up and it ups your protein for the day.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary and let me know if you want any of the recipes I've made.

I'm also trying to steer clear mostly of processed foods and eat more clean! It's a little more time consuming but well worth it!

And my family has actually discovered some new favorites, like quinoa and barley!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I always make sure I double recipes I make for dinner that way I have leftovers for the next day's lunch and am not temped by my co-workers to "go across the street" ie get fast food.

What kind of recipes are you looking for? specific meat or vegetable? Do you have a crockpot? I love the year of slow cooking site http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ you will be amazed at all the things you can make in a crockpot!

Happy cooking!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I know we are all trying to get our protein up so I thought I would share my afternoon coffee. If you put a litte coffee in the cup - add 1 scoop of (I do chocolate whey) protein and stir it up really good until its thick and smooth, then pour the rest of the coffee in and stir - its a great afternoon pick me up and it ups your protein for the day.

I was just thinking of trying this this morning, but was in a rush...now that I now it works I'll definitely try it tomorrow! :smile:
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Twinmom - thanks - I will take a look later and see if I find anything I'd like to try. Yes, I do have a crockpot and I love using it! It just seems everything I find for the crock is heavier in sauces but maybe I just need to look harder and try some new things. My husband doesn't do fish - which I love salmon and before we met I was buying the salmon from Schwans and I would pop one of those in the oven and had a great dinner. Maybe I will just have to start doing that again for me and let him eat something else. I'm going to look for some recipies today when I have a break here at work and print some off - any other website suggestions?
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    if you haven't checked out www.skinnytaste definitely do. a ton of great recipes and she puts all the nutrition info on there. everything I have tried I love.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    My diary is public and I try to make recipes that anyone can make. The names might be a little odd because my boyfriend likes to names my dishes and I could care less what they're called. But 99% of what you see in my diary is home made.
  • msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options
    kcfaber - Thank you for the Skinnytaste website idea. It looks like a great site!

Shelley
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    I found a recipie for a crockpot chicken which is a whole chicken and some spices cooked in the crockpot. I'm thinking pretty good meal - high protein and lower calorie as it didn't have any veggies. But it said it served 4 and was 732 calories a serving. Can that be right?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I found a recipie for a crockpot chicken which is a whole chicken and some spices cooked in the crockpot. I'm thinking pretty good meal - high protein and lower calorie as it didn't have any veggies. But it said it served 4 and was 732 calories a serving. Can that be right?

Usually what I do with a whole chicken is just weigh the meat portion that I'm going to eat. Like an entire breast or an entire thigh. I find the calorie information is a little more accurate that way.

Another crockpot dish that my family loves and is pretty healthy is Pulled BBQ Chicken. Just take 4-5 chicken breasts (or less depending how many you're cooking for) and put them in your crockpot. Dice up a yellow onion and throw it in there too. Take your favorite BBQ sauce (or you can make one yourself if you want to keep it SUPER healthy without all the extra sugar and crud that's in the store-bought stuff) and pour it the crockpot.

Set it to low for about 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4). About 30 minutes before you're reading to serve it, take off the lid and set it to high. This will help thicken the BBQ sauce.

I serve it on hamburger buns for my family. But I'm happy to eat it by itself with a green salad on the side!
  • lvondy
    lvondy Posts: 76 Member
    Options

With a whole chicken, it was probably taking into account the skin and fat. That is my guess, anyway. =)
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Yes it was the whole chicken and wow I didn't realize how much fat and calories the skin added. I think I will do the chicken breast recipie - that sounds awesome!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I did a variation of the bbq chicken using chicken breasts and instead of bbq I used fresh salsa (look for it in the refrigerator section or make your own) and a pack of low-sodium taco seasoning. We used ours on whole wheat tortillas with taco fixings.

The Year of Slow cooking website, does have a light section and she has lots of broth based soups.