Working on upping cals, but tired ALL the time

Options
So for the first couple of months I was on MFP, I was consistently eating between 1800-2100 calories. Then I discovered this group and Fat2Fit radio and realized I needed to up my calories in all likelihood to avoid screwing up my metabolism (with a missing thyroid due to cancer in my teens, I don't need any help in the funky metabolism category). For the past three weeks or so I've been eating around 2300 calories, and I have to say I am tired ALL the stinking time. On the lower calories, my energy levels were more than sufficient to get me through the day with my workouts (~30 minutes of either strength training or moderate cardio depending on day) and my job (I'm a nanny three days a week). Eating 2300 calories a day, though, I'm fighting falling asleep with the kiddos at work and I'm wanting to go to bed early and sleep in on the weekends. On the flip side, since upping my calories, I've continued to lose on the scale (though at a slightly slower pace that before) and my husband insists that I've been losing inches faster than I was on the lower calorie count.

What gives? Based on the formulas here, and F2F's numbers, I should be aiming for 2600 calories a day (moderately active lifestyle), so I'm wondering if the tiredness I've been experiencing is my body's way of trying to demand more energy now that it's gotten a taste of it at the 2300 calories, or if my BMR is actually lower due to thyroid or fat % (Katch-McArdle gives me a BMR about 400 cal/day lower than the formulas in this group) and I need to go back down to around 1900-2000? I don't know if I should just bite the bullet and get up to 2600 as quickly as my system can handle it or if I should stay at 2300 for a few more weeks or if I should go back down. Help!!

(Note: I just had all of my numbers checked last week at a regular checkup and everything is normal on that front, so I'm not concerned that my thyroid levels are what is making me tired.)

Replies

• sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear the response. I've been tired too. But I'm also at the TOM and had a busy week at work after being off last week, so not sure it's related. But was kinda wondering. ???
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Must be something in the air because I've just been exhausted all week. Normally I feel great but this week I've just been blah about everything. I could blame it on ToM... but that seems too simple when I've read about soo many people feeling the same way.
  • lvondy
    lvondy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm chalking it up to the pollen--I've been exhausted for the last two weeks and I've only been on the calorie upping program for a week. :)
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the pollen here has been killing everybody for the last couple of weeks.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you are lethargic it may be your thyroid level. I too had my thyroid irradiated and am very in tune with how my meds are working for me. Have you hada full thyroid panel lately?

I didn't find this out for years:

Med to be taken on an empty stomach w glass of water
    Nothing to eat for 30 min
    No dairy within 4hrs of pill
    No walnuts within I think a couple hours

Too much soy and peanuts will block uptake.

One more thing...there is a normal range. Well after one of my babies I felt sluggish all the time. Dr told me I as in range, the called me back and saidi was on the lower end and maybe I needed to be on the higher end...well that sure wasthe ticket!

Sounds like you had more before but still not great, not eating more boy is working harder to metabolize the food, so more tired...get your thyroid checked and asked where you fall in the range...if at lower end ask to go up a bit in med and recheck in 6wk...

Ok ladies, it could be that your body is getting used to all the extra food. It takes work. When I have had 3000 cal days I felt like that..once I felt like I would zonk right in the restaurant.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    If you are lethargic it may be your thyroid level. I too had my thyroid irradiated and am very in tune with how my meds are working for me. Have you hada full thyroid panel lately?

One more thing...there is a normal range. Well after one of my babies I felt sluggish all the time. Dr told me I as in range, the called me back and saidi was on the lower end and maybe I needed to be on the higher end...well that sure wasthe ticket!

Sounds like you had more before but still not great, not eating more boy is working harder to metabolize the food, so more tired...get your thyroid checked and asked where you fall in the range...if at lower end ask to go up a bit in med and recheck in 6wk...

Ok ladies, it could be that your body is getting used to all the extra food. It takes work. When I have had 3000 cal days I felt like that..once I felt like I would zonk right in the restaurant.

I so missed the last line regarding being cked last wek. Call him and see if your on the low end.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I so missed the last line regarding being cked last wek. Call him and see if your on the low end.

Whew so sorry I'm missing questions left and rigt...I'm a bit tired...long day.

Anyway I say stick w the 2300 for now since you are losing. When you plateau...bounce up an down same couple lbs for 4 wks...then bump your cals up again.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Already on thyroid meds here. Guess I'll have to look at other things. Maybe my food intake is throwing me off.