Men with cats

Options
bruintamer
bruintamer Posts: 183 Member
So, I met this guy online that was really good looking and seemed intelligent, articulate, fun, etc., etc. Was even thinking about meeting in person then I showed my girl friend one of his photos that I thought he looked really attractive in. She freaked out because he was cuddling his cat in the photo...and then had several more shots on his FB of his cat dressed up in weird outfits. I hadn't even thought anything negative about it but then she went on and on about how REAL men don't have a cat or cats as pets (talking about the common housecat here, if you own a liger or something then that's a diff story! lol) and that unless it's his mom's cat or a leftover from an ex-gf then a man having a cat is unacceptable because he'd, in essence, be a p*ssy himself. :-/ Thoughts?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    cats are finicky and fussy. i figure if anyone can have a cat and that cat hasnt scratched them to pieces or ran away then they have to be cool.

i dont mind guys with cats (i have one myself) but i'd draw the line at multiple cats.

and what type of weird outfits are we talking about? french maid uniforms? ss soldier?
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    ok the fact that he has a ton of pics of him and his cat AND pics of his cats dressed up in outfits is weird.

HOWEVER: I don't think there is anything wrong with a guy in general owning a cat. I actually like guys that have cats. The guys I have dated that had cats tend to be the ones that were the most caring, cool, and awesome guys I've known, come to think of it!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I had a b/f with 2 cats. One for each of his children when they visited him. I thought that was really cute.

My LTEx had a cat when I first met him.

They were both very real and manly guys.

I dont see the problem. I'm not a pet lover, but I understand that a lot of people are. Cats or dogs, doesnt mean anything, apart from they like pets. And women dress their animals in coats and stuff all the time. Why can't a man? :flowerforyou:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Hmm, what's wrong with cats as pets? Although I would never dress them up in clothes, that'd be kinda silly but I just like animals in general. I like dogs too. I'd understand if the guy seemed uber-creepy but simply owning a cat is a strange reason to turn someone down unless you're allergic to them.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a guy with cats as pets as I love all animals. What I wouldn't be able to get past is a guy that dresses up his pet, cat or dog.

edited to say: I would never dress my pet up so I prefer a guy that wouldn't either.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    ok the fact that he has a ton of pics of him and his cat AND pics of his cats dressed up in outfits is weird.

HOWEVER: I don't think there is anything wrong with a guy in general owning a cat. I actually like guys that have cats. The guys I have dated that had cats tend to be the ones that were the most caring, cool, and awesome guys I've known, come to think of it!

This. Maybe he did the outfit thing as a joke, lol. You never know? Why not ask him?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a guy with cats as pets as I love all animals. What I wouldn't be able to get past is a guy that dresses up his pet, cat or dog.

edited to say: I would never dress my pet up so I prefer a guy that wouldn't either.
    but cats just ask for it with their snootiness :laugh:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

but cats just ask for it with their snootiness :laugh:

Cats are easy. If someone is a traveler and an animal lover cats are the perfect pet. I could go away for a week and just leave enough food and an extra litter box and the cat would be fine.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    So you've talked to him and your gut told you he was okay to see in person. Then someone who only saw a few pictures and judged him with no personal contact whatsoever gave her opinion. Now you want the opinion of a whole bunch of people who have neither communicated with him nor seen pictures of him. Does that sum it up?

I suggest you trust your instincts.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The dressing up is weird, however, there may be some sort of explanation. One of my best friends and her husband have three cats and have been known to dress them up just to be silly. If he hasn't even mentioned the cats, I would think you're okay. It's the guys that can't stop talking about their cat(s) that are really weird to me.
  • bruintamer
    Options
    So you've talked to him and your gut told you he was okay to see in person. Then someone who only saw a few pictures and judged him with no personal contact whatsoever gave her opinion. Now you want the opinion of a whole bunch of people who have neither communicated with him nor seen pictures of him. Does that sum it up?

I suggest you trust your instincts.

Naw, not asking for opinions on this guy specifically or if I should meet him or not. Just asking opinions on what people think of men with cats in general. There are all those "serious" studies and silly cosmo articles out there on what certain breeds of dogs say about their owners so just seeing what ppl think of guys with cats...
  • bruintamer
    Options
    Well I'm not much of a cat person myself and prefer big dogs....but this guy was talking about his cats a lot, I just didn't think anything of it at the time. Not sure if my guy friends are just being stupid or for reals but they've all said guys that have cats are weird. I did date for a month, this guy that had 3 chihuahuas...I think I'd rather take a cat over 3 lap dogs!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    To me it's not even about the cats, it is that he dressed them up!
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cats, each one is from a past LTR. It's just that I kept the house and ended up keeping them because my exes moved in to places with no pets allowed. The girl I have been seeing the past couple weeks actually said she messaged me because she saw that I had cats and figured I must be a nice guy (I am, of course).

However, the dressing them up in costumes is pretty weird......but maybe he thought it was funny or was trying to impress a SO?
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Men with cats... LOL
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    and what type of weird outfits are we talking about? french maid uniforms? ss soldier?
    LOL :laugh:
    I can so imagine this.

I find it slightly weird and cats annoy the fnck out of me since the lolcat thingy - but I don't really want to own an animal anyway.

I'd be wary of adding this person to Facebook or giving them my email address in fear of receiving keyboard cat/nyan cat/catz haz burgerz sh!tty stuff all the time (which would get on my nerves).

This one is good though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CggsoJzg5iw

(Original Nyan cat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

OMG! That really annoyed me!! :laugh:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a guy having a cat. My former neighbor, to this day this sexiest man I've ever met, had a cat. He found her after someone ran over her and decided to keep her. I like what that says about him.

Dressing your cat up in weird outfits, however, is pretty much unacceptable..
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I have a small herd of animals. When I was married my ex-wife and I did volunteer work at animal shelters. She felt the need to save all of them, and her parents felt the need to randomly bring us pets to save and nurture because they didn't want to have anything but purebred pedigree pets in their homes (2 german shepherds 2 dauschunds they got rid of 3 of them total because they couldn't train them or deal with them not being housebroken). So I ended up with the majority of the animals in the split because the house was mine. I still have all of them. I take good care of them, they want for nothing, and I promise you I'm a real man. I will not however dress them up. That's just weird. :-P
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm a single woman and I have a dog. Does that make me seem strange to potential dates?
    Although, I will say that having a pet and dressing them up are two very different things...