Chronic illness due to diabetes

Options
newmein2013
newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
Does anyone else find that they get frequent colds or urinary tract infections due to diabetes? I'm so sick of getting colds. Pun intended. :laugh: I take cranberry supplements to prevent the uti's and it works quite well but they still decide to torture me every once in a while. However, not nearly as painful as before. I also take Vitamin C and zinc every day to help prevent colds. It just seems as though my immune system is so vulnerable. :sad:

Replies

• HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm on anti-rejection drugs that suppress my immune system (heart transplant). I've actually been so healthy this winter, I was worried they didn't work. :) There is a product from AZO that is to prevent UTI. Can find at Walmart usually over by feminine products for yeast infections. AZO products are homeopathic and work great for me.

The other option for help with the colds is a netti pot. Dr Oz talks about them or google it. Easy and non-medical intervention.

Can the problem be allergies and not a cold?
  • newmein2013
    Options
    @Kkey: I'm glad you're having such a healthy year! Thank you for the info. I've always thought AZO was just like the regular cranberry supplements that I take but I'll look into it. I love Dr. Oz. I do have allergies but this is definitely a cold. I used to get them almost every month when I was working at a college b/c there were so many germs floating around that place. The past year or so, I've only had one maybe every three months or so and the duration and intensity has greatly improved from what it was in the past. So the vitamins are definitely helping.

I did some research and found the following link regarding Autonomic Neuropathy so I'm posting it in case anyone else is interested. My docs have told me the frequent colds and uti's are b/c of the diabetes but I don't know anyone in my personal life that experiences this. I thought I'd bring it up here b/c this group is sooo much larger than my circle of friends, lol. I guess I just want to know I'm not the only one. :(

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/autonomic-neuropathy.html
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't heal as well as a non-diabetics. And when you get sick, it just doesn't get better. I have been lucky that UTIs haven't been a problem for me but I know other who have had problems. The closer to normal that you BG is the less likely these things will be a problem.

Also, take good care of yourself by getting enough rest since like anyone else, a worn out body gets stuff.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    Thanks Sharon. That is hopeful news. My A1C is now 6.3 but I'm working hard to get it a whole point lower. I hope this is what will make the difference.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    6.3 is good but maybe you are just more susceptible to UTIs. I'm a 6.4 and haven't had problems. As far as colds it just might be your year to catch them and not be so much your diabetes.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    You're sooo lucky you don't get uti's. Nope, no such luck with the colds. This is actually one of the better years I'm having b/c of the vitamins. I guess maybe it just comes down to the individual's immune system I also have Hashimotos' disease and I believe that weakens the immune system b/c it's an autoimmune disease. I'll just keep popping my daily vitamins and stick to clean eating and strict exercise. It seems to be the only answer.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Before I was diagnosed I got sick all the time, I mean ALL the time. Strep throat 2 or 3 times a winter, the flu, colds, etc. Little did I realize that my crazy sugar was causing it, however, since I've been diagnosed and gotten my sugar under control I rarely get sick now, but I do eat A LOT healthier and my A1C is 5.8.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I used to get sick every winter frequently. It may sound silly but I swear by ginger tea. I buy the root, cut off an inch, cut into small peices and boil in the microware. I usually add a green tea bag too and sprinkle cinnamon. The ginger has antibiotic and antifungal properties. The green tea is just plain good for you and the cinnamon is supposed to rev metabolism. You can add lemon and stevia if you wish. I love the tea and I have not been sick at all since drinking it. may be coincidence...but I sure like the idea that it is helping. I honestly think it improved my immune system.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    This past year, I have had more colds and issues than normal, but as long as I keep my blood glucose under control (Recent A1c 5.6. UTI love to feed on glucose so make sure you're glucose is under control. Also the type of underwear (material used) and how tight or loose your clothes are is a BIG factor. From the University of Maryland, http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/urinary-tract-000169.htm
  • newmein2013
    Options
    Great info & tips everyone. Thanks for sharing your info and suggestions. I look forward to lowering my A1C back into the 5.'s soon, hopefully with the next set of labs! And I'll be drinking ginger tea. :smile:
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My mom (82) was recently hospitalized for a UTI. It played havoc with her BS. She is type2 and on insulin. Just an FYI that you are NOT alone. ♥ ♥ ♥
  • newmein2013
    Options
    My mom (82) was recently hospitalized for a UTI. It played havoc with her BS. She is type2 and on insulin. Just an FYI that you are NOT alone. ♥ ♥ ♥

Thanks for sharing. I do hope your mom is doing well now.
  • LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When my sugar was High I was constantly getting the UTI among other things AZO is a suppliment that works really well. I find it at Walmart.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Newman be very careful with ginger tea, candy, etc. In some people ginger can raise blood pressure and cause headaches.
  • misizzg
    misizzg Posts: 3
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes in Sep '11 and wasn't aware that it could cause UTI's and things of that nature. Thanks to you for this post and to everyone who has offered advice. Now I know some things to look out for. I'm happy to say that my most recent A1C was 6.6. :) Gonna go to Walmart and look for those AZO tabs too.
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Wow, you have lost 56 lbs since last OCT! You are doing great. I used to get colds a lot, not so much since I have lost some weight/gotten the Glucose under control. Would like to get rid of more meds, especially reduce Metformin because of the side effects.:smile: