Yes, another BMR question

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
Every single calculator I've used has my BMR over 1550.

But Fat2FitRadio has it set at 1322, using the Katch-McArdle formula (I went with the military body fat calculator to get my BF). Now, on that same site if I go with the Covert-Bailey BF calculator, the Katch-McArdle BMR formula is 1558.

Since I'm seeing more of the higher BMR number on most of the other site, should I just stick with 1550 as my BMR.

I'm just wondering honestly what's the difference between the BF calculators? Which is more accurate....the military one or the Covert-Bailey?

Once I get this final number squared away, I'm good!!! Thanks for any feedback you have!

Replies

• beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Great question!!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to get an accurate bf% number using online calculators. I'd recommend getting tested by a professional if possible. Then have that same person do the reading everytime.

You could also purchase handheld devices and try to do the readings yourself, but you'd need to gather readings from multiple locations (on your body), multiple times, and then gather the average of those readings

It's pretty hit and miss, otherwise.. :-/
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback! Hmmmm, okay. I'll have to look into having it tested somehow or maybe buying my own device.

In the meantime, still confused about which BMR to go with. The higher or lower number?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stick with 1550 for now, until you get your calipers or what have you ;)

Or

You may find that you can get tested for relatively cheap at your local YMCA, etc.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Stick with 1550 for now, until you get your calipers or what have you ;)

Or

You may find that you can get tested for relatively cheap at your local YMCA, etc.

Sounds good! Thanks for your quick response!!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm getting some calipers, I have scales that measure body fat but i don't think they are that accurate & always give me a different reading to the fat2fit military calculator.

Now just to choose the right calipers...
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I found the hand held device my ymca uses on amazon for 30. It is by Omron. The comments says its pretty accurate if you follow the instructions. I wil let ya'll know.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I know for sure the bathroom scale is totally unreliable for body fat. I jump on the scale every morning to weigh myself (for trending/graphing) and my body fat % continues to go up even though my clothes are getting looser and looser.

If you find something that for sure works and is affordable, I'd love to know!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I found the hand held device my ymca uses on amazon for 30. It is by Omron. The comments says its pretty accurate if you follow the instructions. I wil let ya'll know.

Definitely interested to hear what you think of it!

It turns out my husband does have a handheld device. He forgot he had it but he says he's not sure how accurate it is. I'm going to put some new batteries in it today and test it out!
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    When I was doing a bootcamp, the instructor used an Omron handheld, then the gym I joined used one, too. They seem to be fairly accurate. My advice would be to just do it consistently, and using the same scale at the same time for the weight. Also, I was told to do the BF measurement on an empty stomach, not even water, because food/fluid will affect the measurement.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Okay, I replaced the batteries in my husband's BF Analyzer. It's an Omron HBF 301. But I just ate breakfast and drank a cup of green tea and 2 glasses of water so I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to test my BF!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    When I was doing a bootcamp, the instructor used an Omron handheld, then the gym I joined used one, too. They seem to be fairly accurate. My advice would be to just do it consistently, and using the same scale at the same time for the weight. Also, I was told to do the BF measurement on an empty stomach, not even water, because food/fluid will affect the measurement.

LOL, I was just reading the manual and it said the same exact thing! Measure on an empty stomach, preferably at the same time of day each time you did a measurement so it'll be more accurate.

I'm gonna go with measuring upon first waking each time I do it!

Next question - how often do you test your BF? I would think once a month? More or less?
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. My BMR is around 1500 on some sites and then on the Fat2Fit it says 1300ish. I am sticking with 1500 for now. Also, my BF% is HIGH! Which of course I expected, it is actually very sad how high it is....dang twins, I blame them. haha
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps you decide.

I am 5' 9", and 24% body fat according to Bod Pod. It also indicates that my BMR is 1452. My BMF calculates my TDEE at 3100ish on workout days (6 days/week) and about 2300 on rest days. I try to eat around 2200 to lose.

That said, I would choose the higher number. Your TDEE is the number that determines your caloric requirements. I doubt that it is lower than the higher of those two numbers.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I am right there with you. My BMR is around 1500 on some sites and then on the Fat2Fit it says 1300ish. I am sticking with 1500 for now. Also, my BF% is HIGH! Which of course I expected, it is actually very sad how high it is....dang twins, I blame them. haha

Hahahaha, I feel the same way! I was going through some really old pictures a few months ago and found one of me in a bikini on our honeymoon. My kids were shocked when I showed them the pic and they were all, "What happened to your body?". I said, "Go look in a mirror. YOU GUYS are what happened to my body!!!!"

My BF% is high too. Higher than I thought...but at least we're both doing something about it!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I hope this helps you decide.

I am 5' 9", and 24% body fat according to Bod Pod. It also indicates that my BMR is 1452. My BMF calculates my TDEE at 3100ish on workout days (6 days/week) and about 2300 on rest days. I try to eat around 2200 to lose.

That said, I would choose the higher number. Your TDEE is the number that determines your caloric requirements. I doubt that it is lower than the higher of those two numbers.

That makes sense!! And I'm sticking with the 1550 BMR for now! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't netting below the wrong number...LOL!