Ravenous the morning after

Options
k0nfyo0zed
k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
I've noticed lately that when I have worked out hard enough in the gym that I'm slightly sore the next day... I'm so hungry in the morning that the hunger pangs wake me up. I usually go to the gym about an hour and a half after dinner (that's when we have time to go), and then have a protein shake and a banana, and occasionally yogurt or string cheese. My net calories for the day are almost always BMR+100. Typically including 200-250g protein.

This doesn't happen on mornings after rest days, or lighter workouts (I wake up hungry, but not feeling like my stomach is trying to claw it's way out of my abdomen to get to the fridge). And I never go to bed hungry. Anybody else deal with this? I'm wondering if I need to eat more after my more intense workouts.

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I just started this way of eating 2 days ago, and I can tell you that after yesterdays workout, and eating 3k calories....I woke up effin starving!!! It was rediculous.....I could have seriously rolled over and eaten my pitbull, i was that hungry.
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    I've noticed lately that when I have worked out hard enough in the gym that I'm slightly sore the next day... I'm so hungry in the morning that the hunger pangs wake me up. I usually go to the gym about an hour and a half after dinner (that's when we have time to go), and then have a protein shake and a banana, and occasionally yogurt or string cheese. My net calories for the day are almost always BMR+100. Typically including 200-250g protein.

This doesn't happen on mornings after rest days, or lighter workouts (I wake up hungry, but not feeling like my stomach is trying to claw it's way out of my abdomen to get to the fridge). And I never go to bed hungry. Anybody else deal with this? I'm wondering if I need to eat more after my more intense workouts.

I notice the same thing! I just recently started lifting heavy and the day after I'm sore and could eat a water buffalo. The body needs more protein to repair and make new muscle, so I think our bodies are just sending big time signals for us to feed them after we've shredded our muscles up. I don't necessarily think you need to feed more after an intense workout as long as you are eating a good dose of protein right after. But I think you'll need to be up and at em' the next morning with food ready to go first thing! Our crazy bodies.....its amazing how adaptable they are!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

LOL @ stomach clawing it's way out...

What I do after I workout is, immediately afterward have my protein shake, and then within an hour, have another "real" meal. Then resume my regular eating schedule....

So that other meal could be the determining factor, because technically, the meal immediately following the workout, didn't happen, lol. Your body devours it instantly.

Try that and see if it helps some?
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about the possibility of changing my day from 3 meals/3 snacks to 4 meals, and 2 snacks... and just separate my dinner into 2 smaller meals (one before the gym, and one after) thus turning my "evening snack" into a post-workout meal, with the protein shake as soon as I get home.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about the possibility of changing my day from 3 meals/3 snacks to 4 meals, and 2 snacks... and just separate my dinner into 2 smaller meals (one before the gym, and one after) thus turning my "evening snack" into a post-workout meal, with the protein shake as soon as I get home.

Good idea about the splitting up dinner. The faster digesting of the two, should be the one immediately following the workout (probably the shake). Then eat the other half of dinner.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm not lifting yet (I know I know - I'm working on it - lol), but I run three days a week and on days after runs I tend to wake up super hungry. I'm sure it's the same reason - my body trying to repair itself. It's crazy how I feel hunger now more than I ever used to when I ate less!