A Helpful Tool

Options
Deltafliers
Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
I was talking with someone earlier, and we started talking about PMDD (fun topic in the school yard, hehe). Anyway, the conversation brought to my attention that not many people know they can add a period tracker to their smart phone! I find this highly useful in that my periods may not be regular, but I can use this countdown tool to estimate when my "insane asylum" time will start. It is also highly helpful to have on my phone when I go to the doctor and have to fill out when my last period started.

Benefits to know, would be to prepare your spouse (if applicable), and mentally start preparing yourself, even if that sometimes means allowing yourself to accept you won't be super-mom/woman during that particular week. Maybe even prepare freezer meals ahead of time for that week so it can be one less stressor to start with.

There are some OTC medicines which actually helps relieve some of PMS (it has been so long, I don't remember which brand). Also, there are herbal remedies which help alleviate anxiety: I know of St. John's Wort, and herbalife has a "relax now" for women. By using the period tracker you can prepare yourself by taking such supplements/OTC medicines at the 7-10 day mark until your menses starts. I will be using this 10-day marker to try and eat organic food (no hormonal additives), and see if it makes a difference.

Another thing I am noticing is worrying when a weight gain occurs during those 7-10 days; use the tracker and mentally prepare yourself for a weight gain that week. I have been noticing a trend, in which weight is gained, and then the following week it is lost (and if they are following a plan usually further loss). During this week, I listen to my body, and I either eat like crazy or don't eat; as long as you eat healthy and stay away from the junk food, your body knows best! At least this is what I have done, and I have not seen any lasting repercussions. :o) And yes, I keep weigh myself during this period of time (besides it is neat for me to see a weight gain (usually ~2lbs), and then a dramatic drop!). Also, during this week, try to eat your BMR! It takes estrogen longer to dissipate from fat (which is where it likes to be from what I am reading). I have also read PMDD sufferers need carbs; use the settings button to track your carb intake during the 7-10 week.

Now one last thing to leave you with: I am not a doctor, and not all the sites I have retrieved this information are medically backed sites. I have taken into account "majority rules" mentality, but that does not mean information is necessarily accurate. I will note, I have checked with my doctor (on most of this stuff) before I begin testing these theories, so if you are bale to I would recommend the same to you. Some situations, like the pamprin/midol scenario, I used before YAZ was on the market and before PMDD was relatively known to the general public.

:flowerforyou: I hope your day is amazing!

Replies

• stitchinhippie
    Options
    Thanks, Delta! Some great info!
    I also use a period tracker on my smart phone. I use "My Days" which is great because it lets you make "notes". I use progesterone cream and it lets me keep track of when I have used it and what area of the body I applied it (because you have to rotate the spots). Like you said, the period tracker is great for when you go to the doc, because you can just take out your phone and let them know all of this info.
  • beachnik00
    Options
    I second that, a period tracker has helped me realise that the rage isn't me - it's my hormones. It has been such a relief for me and my partner to know it's not just a character flaw!