Tell Me how to Start !!

Options
Hi There , I am Janelle . SAHM to 3 kids and I am so glad I found this group ! This is what I am struggling with !! I don't know where to start and how to start . I am 33 , 175 Lbs, 5 Foot 7 , I have been logging on here for 3 months as well as working out 4-5 times a week at the gym , My Workout Consists of a 30 Minute Run ( usually a 5K ) Followed by a 30 Minute incline walk ( usually another 3k ) and then 30 Minutes of Weights. Doing this I have only lost 3 lbs in 3 Months ! Not the Results I was looking for ! I upped my Calories from 1200-1500 and I am still not getting anywhere or losing anything . Its Frustraing, I had hoped to see changes by now :( How do I figure out my TDEE and how much I REALLY Should be eating ?

Hoping someone can help !

janelle

Replies

• Mustangsally33
    Options
    My TDEE is 2440 , so is that what I should be eating or 15% less than that É
  • christianadivine
    christianadivine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello! :)

I ran your numbers really quick and you're definitely eating too little especially for your activity level.

A good intro thread on how to calculate TDEE and everything is this one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr

I calculated your TDEE - 15% cut to 2300 calories/day. I used a heavy exercise multiplier for you since you're doing tons of cardio AND lifting weights with a frequency of 4-5 days/week.

Also keep in mind that since you're lifting weights it's not all about the scale. Inches over weight is much more important.
  • Mustangsally33
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you So much for the Reply . I am definatly going to up my calories and see how that works !!
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello,

You definitely need to be eating more. Im also 5'6 and did weigh 189, I am currently down to 155 and it didnt happen overnight...I lost inches first then I lost on the scale eventually (but I tend not to weight that often, true measure is your clothes and how they fit).

I am currently eating 2156 (my TDEE includes exercise) cals per day and ensuring that I am NETTING above my BMR (1470) so I aim for about 1600 max. If you burn alot of calories exercising, you may need to eat enough to NET above your BMR. Its all about eating for the weight you want to be...it's actually the reverse of what a lot of people are lead to believe. My only eating 1200 etc (most likely below your BMR), you are infact allow your body to feed of your muscles making losing Fat (weight) even harder to achieve.

I would suggest your read this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

This will give you all the information you need to know to get that Fat moving. Feel free to add me as a friend for support and motivation for each other :)) Hope this has helped a little.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hello,

You definitely need to be eating more. Im also 5'6 and did weigh 189, I am currently down to 155 and it didnt happen overnight...I lost inches first then I lost on the scale eventually (but I tend not to weight that often, true measure is your clothes and how they fit).

I am currently eating 2156 (my TDEE includes exercise) cals per day and ensuring that I am NETTING above my BMR (1470) so I aim for about 1600 max. If you burn alot of calories exercising, you may need to eat enough to NET above your BMR. Its all about eating for the weight you want to be...it's actually the reverse of what a lot of people are lead to believe. My only eating 1200 etc (most likely below your BMR), you are infact allow your body to feed of your muscles making losing Fat (weight) even harder to achieve.

I would suggest your read this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

This will give you all the information you need to know to get that Fat moving. Feel free to add me as a friend for support and motivation for each other :)) Hope this has helped a little.

By some crazy stroke of luck I stumbled onto that thread and I'm so glad I did. That's where this started for me! I highly recommend reading through his info. I think he does a great job of explaining eating more and his links are good. The only thing that I've been told differently from his info. thus far is that the military body fat calculator is not super accurate for women. So it could cause you to get a lower BMR number than other calculators. Once I used a different method to figure body fat the BMR that I got from the fat 2 fit site (the one he recommends) was more consistent with other calculators. The fat 2 fit site has some good information and inspiration!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    ^what method did you use to figure out body fat more accurately?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I used the Covert Bailey method that's on the fat 2 fit site. It's still not going to be as accurate as calipers or the other methods that I don't really have access to right now. But from what I've been told, this method is better for women than the military fat calculator.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm so relieved to hear what some of you have written about the Military Body Fat method not being very accurate for women. That's what was throwing me off because using that method my BMR was so much lower than it was on other sites. But using another method, I finally got an actual BMR number that lines up with what the other sites are telling me.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    ^what are you using to calculate bf%?