Fake it till you make it...

Options
So when you have zero self confidence, and you are completely and utterly petrified by the potential of rejection by a member of the opposite sex... how do you fake that confidence to actually approach members of the opposite sex in a public setting?

I have never (without help from a friend i.e. Hi, have you met Bryan?) approached a woman in a public setting unless they were in a service capacity (selling something, waitress, ya know). I have never picked up a woman in a bar, nor in any other circumstance.

Any advice other than just go out and do it? Or, the easiest thing is just saying "Hi"! I'm really not sure what the hell else to ask other than stupid cliche crap like, do you come here often, what's your sign... all that dumb crap.

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    This is easy. Just smile at them. If they smile back, they are receptive. Then you say hi, maybe make pleasant introductions and start talking about something.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Let me know when you figure that out. I'm 33 and I've never approached a guy in my life!

"Sprinkle glitter all over yourself and stand in the sunlight. The girls will come running." :tongue:
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Agreed .. smile .. if she smile back .. walk over and say hi. I was trying to type something up to chat with her .. but yikes .. I got nothing! Everything I type is lame.. lol.

I guess it depends on the setting what you would talk about. Hm .. this is hard! lol. But that is why you are the man! ha!
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Let me know when you figure that out. I'm 33 and I've never approached a guy in my life!

"Sprinkle glitter all over yourself and stand in the sunlight. The girls will come running." :tongue:
    I shower too much to be a twilight vampire... I'd probably stake myself if I was.
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    This is easy. Just smile at them. If they smile back, they are receptive. Then you say hi, maybe make pleasant introductions and start talking about something.

You my friend, are assuming that I have women actually looking at me. I don't think I've ever gotten or at least noticed a woman looking in my direction.

I promise this is not an attempt at a pity party, I'm just confused about how all this works.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Not to get open for all the world to see but I would have NEVER guessed this in a million years about you. You seemed very confident and comfortable with yourself when we "spoke". You have nothing to be afraid of. I promise. :flowerforyou:
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    Not to get open for all the world to see but I would have NEVER guessed this in a million years about you. You seemed very confident and comfortable with yourself when we "spoke". You have nothing to be afraid of. I promise. :flowerforyou:

Thanks! You're not opening anything that isn't ok to be opened. I am able to talk and chat with people in a non-real-life interaction all day, all night, whenever.

It's the face to face thing that makes me want to poop myself. lol
  • DMZ_1
    Options

You my friend, are assuming that I have women actually looking at me. I don't think I've ever gotten or at least noticed a woman looking in my direction.

I promise this is not an attempt at a pity party, I'm just confused about how all this works.

You have to hold eye contact with them first. Eye contact, then smile.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options

Aw. I would totally look in your direction. I looked at your pics and you have a pic with girls in it .. so you must be doing something right.. ??
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Agreed .. smile .. if she smile back .. walk over and say hi. I was trying to type something up to chat with her .. but yikes .. I got nothing! Everything I type is lame.. lol.

I guess it depends on the setting what you would talk about. Hm .. this is hard! lol. But that is why you are the man! ha!

Talk about the reason why both of you are where you are, what you are both are up to, maybe even something light and fun in the news cycle.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Hi. Nice to meet you. I'm 30 and have never been approached BY a guy for a date IRL. Wish I could help, though.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    So when you have zero self confidence, and you are completely and utterly petrified by the potential of rejection by a member of the opposite sex... how do you fake that confidence to actually approach members of the opposite sex in a public setting?

It is hard, because our society expects men to approach women, so shy guys kind of lose out I think. I'm shy, and I've never approached a guy I've found cute before. If I was braver, perhaps I would, but I also get cut a break because I'm a woman.

The other day though, this guy's mouth was bleeding at the bar, and I went up to him and said, "What happened?" and cracked a joke. He said something back and I wandered off. It's good to sometimes talk to people you don't know, even in general, because it helps build your confidence.

But yes, "Hi" is perfect, and "how about this weather?" or something right. If she finds you attractive, she'll respond back. If she says something back that seems so-so, just respond and walk away. Just gauge how she is feeling you first before you go in hard. And keep your eye open for shy girls like yourself, the ones that are standing in the corner!
  • jaxdiablo
    Options

You have to hold eye contact with them first. Eye contact, then smile.

Should I be holding the free candy sign at this point? Or just wait till she sees it on the side of the van? lol I kid...
  • jaxdiablo
    Options

Aw. I would totally look in your direction. I looked at your pics and you have a pic with girls in it .. so you must be doing something right.. ??

That damn picture is going to be the bane of my existance. I work with a local vaudeville/burlesque troupe. They are friends of mine who are performers. lol If I really had gorgeous girls like that on my arm already I'd give up on this weight loss and just be a P.I.M.P. lol
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I get nervous too, but usually once you start talking to someone conversation just comes naturally.

The other night I was at a bar with one of my buddies, had just ordered some drinks and some nice looking ladies come up to the bar to order. I just came up with something out of my *kitten* that me and my buddy were talking about cologne and were debating about whether women liked it or not. Obviously they do, but the conversation started and that's all that matters.

Sometimes I just say "Hey, how's it going?" and if they seem receptive than I'll stay and chat, but if they seem uninterested I'll just move on.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Just say "hi", its that simple. DOnt ever use pickup lines. Also, you are going to have to hide your lack of confidence. FInd a way. Women are turned off by that. Thats why they tend to like bad boys, they just take control and do tha d^mn thing. DO you have a puppy? Do you have baby? DO you like art? Where I am going with this is, you should try to go places where women dont expect men to approach them like in bars. In bars, its hard sometimes. We one of our buddies say "that girl is hot", we just push him into her when he isnt looking and you would be surprised how much that works because he says "omg, im so sorry" and she will say "its ok, its crowded in here" and then they start talking. We dotn push him so hard that it causes her to drop her drink or anything. Try art museums, dog parks, volunteering, running in the park, indoor rock climbing, meetupdotcom, church singles, or like places like target. You would be surprised how many guys meet women at Target because they look clueless and asking things like "do you know where this is or what should I get for my friends bday?". We never know what we are doing and women like to help us. You can meet women anywhere, they are everywhere, just be yourself and say hi. You seem like a cool guy so women would love to meet you just get out there.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this one,I have no clue either.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. You guys on here are wonderful. These girls just don't have any taste I guess. :flowerforyou:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as Faking it until you make it.

Confidence comes from through trial and error. Have faith in who you are. Step forward, Jump! BAM! you now have it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I would say do something like go to the grocery store and pretend you need help finding something, but I am so clueless when it comes to guys hitting on me that I'd probably assume you really needed help. I am that girl who thinks that if a guy talks to me, he's just being friendly. But one tip I can give you is whenever you approach a woman, introduce yourself properly. It's much less creepy when a guy tells you his name rather than talking to you like he already knows you.