Lifting Weights - Need Some Motivators

Options
So I know I need to lift. In fact it's been a part of my plan from the beginning of my weight loss journey (mid-February). Since then I've made it to the gym to lift once. That being said, I've been using Pilates to build up my core a bit as my abs are completely shot after having a baby a little over 9 months ago. So I kind of want my core to be a bit stronger before I lift so that I don't injure myself. That being said, my core is starting to improve and so my reasons (i.e. excuses) for not heavy lifting are quickly running out. It's weird. I look forward to my running (I'm currently training for a 5k, then a half marathon). But for some reason I always dread going to the gym to lift weights. Once I'm there I enjoy that feeling of power and strength that comes from lifting (although I felt like a weakling when I went back in March because my weight that I wrote down in my log for the majority of the lifting was "bar" - lol - I have a long way to go), but I'm struggling to be motivated to get there. Does anyone want to be my friend so that I am forced to look at your lifting workouts in my news feed and think wow - I need to get myself there. I know that will help me be more motivated if I see others lifting on a regular basis. Or if you're struggling to get there like I am, we can struggle together!

I also have a question. So many people seem to be talking about this NROLWFW book on here. I've lifted heavy before (years ago), so I'm not sure if it would be tons of stuff that I know from past experience? I get the eat more, lose more concept well enough from reading online, so I don't want to buy this book if it's more of what I've already read. Or do you feel there's information that would be worthwhile for someone who's lifted previously? I don't mean to sound like a know it all. I'm sure I have a lot to learn about lifting, which exercises are best, how to switch up and/or progress with routines, etc...I would just be disappointed if I got this book and it was a basic primer of why I should lift and that's all.

Replies

• swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If there's a book I'm interested in but not sure I want to buy I check it out from the library first before I commit. Check your local library; mine had it.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    NROLW is a beginner's book- that doesn't mean there isn't tons of good info, but it is mainly for people new to the idea of seriously lifting weights, eating a fueling diet (vs a starvation one) and then there is the workout plan. The workout plan is about a third of the book and many women swear by it. It's a little too fiddly and complicated for my personal taste- but that's personal taste for you :D

The Stronglift 5x5 is what I use and I really like it. I'm not worried about 'toning' or what have you, I personally just want to get strong. So this system of compound moves that increase regularly is perfect for me.

There is the Rippetoe Starting Strength program as well. Hopefully someone with more experience can chip in here. Rippetoe is very well known for his techniques and stance direction with complex moves.

Some members of EMTWL use Cathe STS. They swear by them and say they bring big results- and big sweats lol Again- I have no personal experience with this one.

A good place to start and just get an idea of workout types would be to head over to bodybuilding.com- just ignore all the gazillion supplement ads everywhere. Guess they gotta pay for their site somehow.

I lifted seriously a few years ago and what's surprised me is how much of how we used to lift was wrong or ineffectual at best. Simply put- most of what we did was crap and broscience. I do recommend learning/updating the data banks :)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Swingkid - I always forget about my library...lol...I'll look. My library tends to have very dated selection, but if this book is popular enough maybe they'll have a copy of it. I have overdue books to return anyways....so maybe this would be a good reason (other than fines) to get my booty over there!

Gemiwing - I've heard of Stronglift 5x5 and I know a lot of people use it. I definitely like the idea of compound moves. I may have to look into that at some point. I do have a program that I created using an online resource - I can't remember now - I think it might have been bodybuilding.com. I created it back in February and I followed some guidelines on there for ideas of things to start with. I tend to gravitate towards compound moves, so I wonder how similar my created workout would be to stronglift. Where do I find information on the SL program? I will look into Rippetoe and Cathe STS also. I'm definitely open for new ideas. Maybe I'll even switch back and forth between a couple so that I don't get too bored.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Gemiwing - I've heard of Stronglift 5x5 and I know a lot of people use it. I definitely like the idea of compound moves. I may have to look into that at some point. I do have a program that I created using an online resource - I can't remember now - I think it might have been bodybuilding.com. I created it back in February and I followed some guidelines on there for ideas of things to start with. I tend to gravitate towards compound moves, so I wonder how similar my created workout would be to stronglift. Where do I find information on the SL program? I will look into Rippetoe and Cathe STS also. I'm definitely open for new ideas. Maybe I'll even switch back and forth between a couple so that I don't get too bored.

There's an SL5x5 group for women here on MFP- one of our members wrote up a good breakdown of the program. It's free online anyway- but this would save you from having to download the PDF. There's no DVD's or guided workouts really- it's a very simple program. I like it because I don't want DVDs or have any money to purchase anything. I also love keeping my workouts simple- very simple.

If you get bored with the same five moves (all the moves in the 5x5) then you might enjoy something more like the Cathe workouts. She has varied workouts and from what I've read- no two are exactly alike. Plus- she leads you through DVD workouts so there is that as well. They're not cheap but folks love em. :)

Def check out the NROLW workout as well- lots of different moves but not as many compound moves as one would think. But variety to be had- for sure!
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you go to Amazon you can "preview" the vast majority of the NROLW for free (I did the other night) but the preview doesn't include the actual routines.
    I just started lifting this week. I'm mostly using machines, because my gym doesn't have any bar/free weights. They have a good selection of dumbells, but a very small space to use them in that is pretty much always occupied by a man-beast. (Its an almost-free community activity center w/ free childcare... I can't afford a "real gym... but they have a TON of very nice weight machines and cardio machines that were donated.) I'm kinda looking for a program that I can use with the machines. Right now I'm just kinda experimenting with them to figure out where I should be lifting.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

There's an SL5x5 group for women here on MFP- one of our members wrote up a good breakdown of the program. It's free online anyway- but this would save you from having to download the PDF. There's no DVD's or guided workouts really- it's a very simple program. I like it because I don't want DVDs or have any money to purchase anything. I also love keeping my workouts simple- very simple.

If you get bored with the same five moves (all the moves in the 5x5) then you might enjoy something more like the Cathe workouts. She has varied workouts and from what I've read- no two are exactly alike. Plus- she leads you through DVD workouts so there is that as well. They're not cheap but folks love em. :)

Def check out the NROLW workout as well- lots of different moves but not as many compound moves as one would think. But variety to be had- for sure!

I think I will look up the SL group here on MFP. I actually just googled it and like what I saw. I think part of my issue with weightlifting is going through 7 or 8 different sets. I like the idea of simplifying it - at least to start. I think it might help me to get there if I'm doing less (even though the reps are more, so timewise it's the same). Somehow in my mind it still seems less...lol! I won't be able to do 3x a week as the creator discusses since I have running goals I'm working towards (I enjoy my runs, so I'm not going to cut my cardio). But I'd like to do 2x a week. Eventually after I get past my half marathon this fall I will probably flip my cardio and strength-training through the winter.

I'm not sure the Cathe DVDs would be for me. I go to a gym and don't have a home gym, so having a DVD wouldn't help. I'd just rather have a good plan to take with me.

I was fortunate enough to work with a trainer years ago, so luckily I feel like I have elements of form and such in my knowledge base - it's a matter of finding a good program and GOING!!! Speaking of, seriously, does anyone want to be my MFP friend...lol...feels like I'm in junior high. I just know I'll feel motivated if I see other people's lifting workouts in my feed. Plus I like to do my part to encourage others too!

Oh...and lille - I will look on Amazon, especially if I can't find a copy at my library. Good for you for getting started with lifting! I think doing what you can is important. We all have to work within the limits of what we have available!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I think I will look up the SL group here on MFP. I actually just googled it and like what I saw. I think part of my issue with weightlifting is going through 7 or 8 different sets. I like the idea of simplifying it - at least to start. I think it might help me to get there if I'm doing less (even though the reps are more, so timewise it's the same). Somehow in my mind it still seems less...lol! I won't be able to do 3x a week as the creator discusses since I have running goals I'm working towards (I enjoy my runs, so I'm not going to cut my cardio). But I'd like to do 2x a week. Eventually after I get past my half marathon this fall I will probably flip my cardio and strength-training through the winter.

I'm not sure the Cathe DVDs would be for me. I go to a gym and don't have a home gym, so having a DVD wouldn't help. I'd just rather have a good plan to take with me.

I was fortunate enough to work with a trainer years ago, so luckily I feel like I have elements of form and such in my knowledge base - it's a matter of finding a good program and GOING!!! Speaking of, seriously, does anyone want to be my MFP friend...lol...feels like I'm in junior high. I just know I'll feel motivated if I see other people's lifting workouts in my feed. Plus I like to do my part to encourage others too!

Oh...and lille - I will look on Amazon, especially if I can't find a copy at my library. Good for you for getting started with lifting! I think doing what you can is important. We all have to work within the limits of what we have available!

I actually downloaded Cathe sts program and put them on my phone. My gym is not packed so I do it in a corner. It is an awesome workout. I have been liftng heavy for a while and thought I was doing okay but she makes me feel like a novice...that workout is challenging.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest the Cathe downloads for the gym as well. Cathe is the real deal, and the equivalent of having a personal trainer in your ear. ;)

I also second the library suggestion. I've never purchased any of the NROL books, either, as I've been lifting for years. I got them from the library, but I do suggest many beginners to read them, or anyone confused w/how to fuel properly,& especially women who need to be convinced of the need to lift heavy....

~Kiki
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a link to the sl5x5 group on here? I can't find it?

I am not going to give up my half marathon training, starting week 6 tomorrow, which is the halfway mark, so apart from i love my running, it would feel like i was quitting.

However i do see that lifting will benefit more than body resistance stuff (push ups etc) i am doing :)
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Found it :)

I was typing stronglift, SL then found it by typing stonglifts LOL