Advice on clean eating?

Options
tashaa1992
tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
Hi I'm not new to clean eating as I used to when I was suffering with anorexia, but I'm in recovery and have been properly for almost four months now. My daily diet isn't what it used to be, ie fresh fruit and veg, as I've started feeling okay with introducing new foods into my diet, but I prefer eating clean as I believe if nothing else it kept my skin in good condition.

My concern is I will lose weight from going back to how I used to eat, how can I avoid that?
Also I've been reading up on what you can eat, but again the thought of possible weight loss is what's playing on my mind.

I know it's important to not just eat fruit and veg because I know I will lose weight from doing this, but what else do I eat?
I like wholemeal bread now, but looking at the list of ingredients makes it seem not very clean at all. What's the best bread? Brown rice is fine I think? What about milk?

Thank you for at least taking the time to read this:)

This is the ingredients list from the wholemeal bread I buy-
Wholemeal Wheat Flour , Water , Kibbled Malted Wheat , Wheat Protein , Yeast , Sugar , Vegetable Oil , Salt , Malted Barley Flour , Vinegar , Soya Flour , Emulsifiers: E471, E472e , Preservative: Calcium Propionate (added to inhibit mould growth) , Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) , With 61% Wholegrain (Whole Wheat Flour, Kibbled Malted Wheat, Malted Barley Flour) .

Replies

• Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that there are a lot of variations on what clean eating means. It doesn't necessarily mean low calorie!

The way I interpret clean eating is avoiding processed foods as much as possible and eating foods as close to their natural source as possible. For example, peanut butter. If I don't have the time to grind it myself I try and buy one that only has peanuts (and maybe salt) in the ingredient list. For anything packaged (bread, granola, yogurt, etc.) I look for ingredients that I can recognize in the list. When I can I make my own breads, granola, trail mixes etc. I do but I'm not overly militant with it.

I'm OK with occasionally eating meat and dairy but I aim for organic, grain fed, cage free and all that. I know that some others don't consider that clean eating. Again, it's all up to how you interpret it.

If you're worried about losing weight some higher calorie foods you may consider: nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, cheese (if you're doing dairy), beans

Good luck! If you look at my diary you'll see that I'm not a perfect example of clean eating. I'd say I do it about 80% of the time but that's what works for me!
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    How about including more calorie dense clean foods like nuts?
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I read something about if the product has more than five ingredients it probably isn't as close to its natural state, so I think I may just go by that rule when shopping for bread, rice, etc.
    I don't like cheese and I'm allergic to nuts lol. I also don't like eggs and I don't eat meat or chicken as I'm vegetarian.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bake your own bread. I do, when I have time and find it very relaxing. It is also nice to know what is in your food. I will freeze bread dough so I can quickly make homemade bread when I am busy...
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I did eat bread... before GF I ate Ezeikel Bread

INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

or Made my own .... Oatmeal bread - YUMMY unfortunately I could not do portion control... I could eat the WHOLE LOAF in 2 days!
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options
    When I did eat bread... before GF I ate Ezeikel Bread

This. Ezekiel bread is great and has no additives or cellulose. You can find it at Whole Foods or any kind of health food or more upscale grocer. http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/ezekiel-49/breads
  • LiveforChange
    LiveforChange Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What are the ingred, of the bread you make I would love to know?
  • amandamkarl
    amandamkarl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    would love some bread recipes
  • lafresita
    lafresita Posts: 27
    Options
    What about including things like Hommus with your carrot sticks, flaxseed oil on salads, tahini paste ( ground sesame seads) and honey on bread, lots of pulses like lentils, chickpeas and beans... Roasted chickpeas are a great snack. Get creative with homemade dips and spreads :-) oh and curries or stir fries made with coconut milk....
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    How about whole milk, and whole fat dairy products like yogurt?

I used to watch a little guy who had to gain weight, his nurse recommended lots of things like peanut butter, butter, and coconut oil. He also eats ice cream once a night. I don't know how any of that fits into clean eating?
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You can buy sprouted grain wheat flour for baking your own Ezekial-like bread. I've done it. The bread is a little coarse - just like Ezekial's.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Look into brown rice pasta. The only ingredient is brown rice, and it's loaded with carbs. Choose a good pasta sauce like Mom's, or the Whole Foods 365 brand. Don't get too hung up on the "5 ingredients" thing. For instance you wouldn't turn down a fruit salad made with 8 kinds of fruit. What you're looking for is wholesome ingredients that have names that aren't chemical equations. If your diet philosophy allows it, whole milk Greek yogurt is great, and easy to make yourself. Also Indian food - vegetarian and it has lots of spices that are good for you, turmeric for example. Serve it with brown rice. Look for recipes on line.
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic to all nuts? how about seeds? beans, lentils, quinoa are all great and add some avocados to your diet for protein :)
    I read something about if the product has more than five ingredients it probably isn't as close to its natural state, so I think I may just go by that rule when shopping for bread, rice, etc.
    I don't like cheese and I'm allergic to nuts lol. I also don't like eggs and I don't eat meat or chicken as I'm vegetarian.