Using normal barbell, not olympic? Also, HiIT - essential?

Options
I just got my stage one equipment delivered and am dying to start. I noticed though, that some exercises require an olympic barbell? Is this important or will a normal barbell do? It said nothing about improvising this in the book.. (Obviously ill load the barbell with weights..)

Also... Interval training. (EEK!)
I absolutely can't do intense cardio or i get sick. Could i replace this with my own form of cardio?
I've got Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's, Zumba DVD's and C25K week 1 podcast.

Would it be okay to replace the HiIT with these?

Replies

• mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of the HIIT workouts is to go fast and then recover to spike your heart rate to increase your strength and endurance. They don't have to be long workouts and the intensity is all up to you. It could even mean jogging at 5 mph for the higher intensity and then recovering at a walking pace. Good luck!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    What is a " normal" barbell? The olympic bar is 7 ft. long and 45 lbs.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you'll need an olympic barbell if you start using heavier weights. olympic barbells are that long and heavy to support those weights. if you're not going to be using 45 pound plates for awhile then a less barbell should be OK

and it's OK to replace anything with anything you want, you're an adult. noone's going to come and put you in NROL4W jail :laugh: just know that each replacement changes the program. the more changes you make, the more off program you're going and dont be surprised if you dont get results exactly like ones in the book
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I think the idea of the HIIT workouts is to go fast and then recover to spike your heart rate to increase your strength and endurance. They don't have to be long workouts and the intensity is all up to you. It could even mean jogging at 5 mph for the higher intensity and then recovering at a walking pace. Good luck!
    Thanks for that - you're a star... sounds like C25K intervals will be perfect then!!
    What is a " normal" barbell? The olympic bar is 7 ft. long and 45 lbs.
    The one i have is under 6 ft long and about 20kg. (i think- havent properly weighed it but it certainly isn't heavy)
    you'll need an olympic barbell if you start using heavier weights. olympic barbells are that long and heavy to support those weights. if you're not going to be using 45 pound plates for awhile then a less barbell should be OK

and it's OK to replace anything with anything you want, you're an adult. noone's going to come and put you in NROL4W jail :laugh: just know that each replacement changes the program. the more changes you make, the more off program you're going and dont be surprised if you dont get results exactly like ones in the book
    Well I've problems carrying shopping bags so i doubt I'll be lifting that heavy for a while!! Gives me time to save for the olympic barbell i suppose!
    I just want results - i know everyone's bodies are different so I won't really look like anyone I've seen. I suppose some people can't afford a regular barbell and are doing the plan with improvisations so i guess using a normal barbells better than the two cans of ravioli i was using as weights for my old toning workouts! :P
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If that bar is 20 kgs that is 44 lbs, just a lb off of the oly bar. :) You can lift whatever you have and can, as long as it is heavy for you.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have used non-olympic bar at home for up to about 90 lbs for squats and deadlifts. My bars are 13lb and 24 lbs. I put 5-10 plates on them because that's all I have.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have a standard bar at home. I use it because I can't squat more than a couple reps on the Olympic bar...yet. I'm working my way up to it. :)
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Just weighed my bar - 3 measly lbs!!! Hope it lasts me a while...
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Excuse me everyone. I am missing something. Where does the HIIT part come in to the routine? I have been doing stage 1 for about 3 weeks and have not done any HIIT. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The HIIT starts in stage 2 I believe
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, HIIT starts in stage 2. You're 3 pound bar will work for a while, but you will have to up the ante eventually. Start saving up now, because you're not just going to need to buy the bar but also the plates and the squat stand. And keep an eye out on Craig's list.