2 questions- new at this :)

Options
cyreta
cyreta Posts: 19 Member
Hi! I'm at 191 lbs currently. I've done the math for TDEE and BMR and cut my "cut" number. Since I've got a bunch to lose, I'm going with TDEE-20%, which I just started eating last week.

1st question: several people here say lift 3-4 days per week and do little to no cardio, and it will work to reduce fat. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that, after hearing all my life that cardio makes the fat disappear. Right now I do bodyweight exercises for strength building 3 days per week (maybe 20 min of cardio on those days to warm up, maybe not if not enough time). I am also trying to train for a 5k that my sister challenged me to, so I'm doing C25K 3 days per week (45-55 min of walk/run depending on how I feel, I like running). If I decide after the race to stop running and just do the strength training 3-4 days per week, is there really a good chance I'll still hit my goal of losing 50 pounds? I started C25K a month ago and the strength training 3 weeks ago. I'm trying to run a LOT faster than I usually do (sibling rivalry and all lol) so I'm burning a lot of calories that way. I really don't want to eat after my workout for HOURS, but I'm forcing myself to do it to meet my calories. Is that OK?

2nd question: now that I've upped my calories, I'm using MFP to make sure the ratios of protein, fat, and carbs are right, while eating as clean as possible. Because of the fruit that I eat, I go over in sugars every day. I don't want to eliminate fruit, so is it OK to go over the recommended sugar per day?

Whoops, I guess that's actually 3 questions. If you only want to answer two, I'd still love to hear whatever you have to say!!

Thanks

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm at 191 lbs currently. I've done the math for TDEE and BMR and cut my "cut" number. Since I've got a bunch to lose, I'm going with TDEE-20%, which I just started eating last week.

1st question: several people here say lift 3-4 days per week and do little to no cardio, and it will work to reduce fat. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that, after hearing all my life that cardio makes the fat disappear. Right now I do bodyweight exercises for strength building 3 days per week (maybe 20 min of cardio on those days to warm up, maybe not if not enough time). I am also trying to train for a 5k that my sister challenged me to, so I'm doing C25K 3 days per week (45-55 min of walk/run depending on how I feel, I like running). If I decide after the race to stop running and just do the strength training 3-4 days per week, is there really a good chance I'll still hit my goal of losing 50 pounds? I started C25K a month ago and the strength training 3 weeks ago. I'm trying to run a LOT faster than I usually do (sibling rivalry and all lol) so I'm burning a lot of calories that way. I really don't want to eat after my workout for HOURS, but I'm forcing myself to do it to meet my calories. Is that OK?

2nd question: now that I've upped my calories, I'm using MFP to make sure the ratios of protein, fat, and carbs are right, while eating as clean as possible. Because of the fruit that I eat, I go over in sugars every day. I don't want to eliminate fruit, so is it OK to go over the recommended sugar per day?

Whoops, I guess that's actually 3 questions. If you only want to answer two, I'd still love to hear whatever you have to say!!

Thanks

Not a thing wrong with cardio but high burns means eating more cals which can be difficult when you start eating more. Some do so much cardio and end up being unable to eat back the cals to net bmr and that works against you.

Don't give up running is that's what you love, just be sure to eat the necessary calories.

I don't track sugar bec I get mine mainly from fruits. I track carbs and try to stay within the ratios.