what to eat when you up calories?

Options
I thought someone said there was a post about eating suggestions? I have read a lot about people having a hard time fitting all the new calories in...and I'm pretty sure we aren't supposed to get them from leftover Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs :)

What sort of foods do you add in? Higher fat/higher protein foods like beef, nuts, olive oil???

Replies

• sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yep, and protein powders, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, trail mix. Once you do it for a couple weeks you will not find it hard to get it all in anymore! :) Don't buy fat free, sugar free stuff. Get the real thing to bump up calories, plus they are better for your metabolism. I'm sure you can look at most people's diaries on this group and get ideas there. Good luck!
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I added in the dense "super foods" that didn't fit into the 1200-calorie menu: walnuts, pumpkin seeds, avocado, coconut oil, sardines, more eggs. Also carry protein powder (the kinds that mixes easy, meaning microfiltered whey) and a shaker cup. I think that getting the macros to 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) is as important to success as the overall metabolic bump for me. I am feeling literally energized!
  • FitBlitz
    FitBlitz Posts: 146
    Options
    I changed all of my low-fat items/diet foods to the real thing-- that helped a lot. On top of it, more protein powders, avacados, chicken breast (I was only eating Tuna before,) wraps and good cheeses like Feta and Provolone.

I've gone over my fats most days, but it's still a work in progress. :)
  • CurlyJo53
    CurlyJo53 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is Trail Mix is great but be careful to not over do on it. Dried fruit can have a high sugar content, defeating the purpose. Also, measure it out. It is really easy to eat more than you think you are eating.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Any kinds of nuts will help you increase your calories. Low-fat cottage cheese is also a great choice.

I make homemade granola (to keep the sugar and sodium in check) and that always helps increase my calories. Also, if you can, make your own salad dressing. They're really easy to make and those can add good calories to your daily diet (and also helps you control the sugar and salt content).
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions above! I'll add:
    Peanut or Almond butter
    String cheese
    Olive oil (I sautéed veggies, use on baked potatoes, add to smoothies even)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Try adding ground flax seed to....well, just about anything! It provides a good helping of fiber and healthy fats (omega-3s). Aim for 16 g/day to get the full benefits of it. Those 16 g of ground flax seed will give you:
    85 calories,
    6.7 g fat (0.6 sat, 4.6 poly, 1.2 mono)
    4.4 g fiber and
    2.9 g protein.

I buy mine whole and grind with a coffee grinder. Your digestive system can't effectively crack the husks of flax seeds so if you don't grind them all that good nutrition stayed locked up and passes right through. Once ground, you should keep the flax in the refrigerator as those good fats tend to spoil quickly.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh my diary is open...I no longer look so much for calorie dense foods because I am used to eating lots more, I am back to going for volume..I love to eat. But I have loads of fun stuff that are high protein too!
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am new to this too, but so far I've been filling my snacks with more than just fruit and veggies and adding whole grains, granola, peanut butter, yogurts, etc.
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    I had forgotten about a great after work out snack my holisitic chiropractor gave me: rice cakes with 2 tbsp. of peanut butter and a banana cut up...very filling and good protein/carbs/fat combo! Ate that today after 75 minutes of laps (with the kids) in the pool ! Very satisfying!