How heavy do you lift?

Options
VVEXVVEX
VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
I'm curious about how heavy (specific #s) some of our successful EMTWLers are lifting, especially bench and squat.

I'm working on getting into heavier weights but for now I'm ramping up from here:

- Benching 60 (two 30-pound dumbbells), which is up from the 40 (two 20s) I was doing a month ago

- My trainer has me doing a lot of kettlebell swings, and lots of bodyweight lunge/balance board squat work, so it's hard to say what I could straight-up squat, though I know I can do at least 65 when he's not around. ; )

I'm convinced that heavy is the way to go and am just curious about where you ladies are at as I think about what to aspire to.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Define 'successful' lol

I can't lift the most but I've got grit ;D

I can squat my bodyweight- all the way down to the ground. I weigh 260lbs so this impresses me lol
    I can front squat- all the way down- more but haven't maxed out yet so don't have a number to give you.

I can bench a lot more- recently out from illness but was up to 40lbs 5 sets of 5.

Calf raises- 300lb+
    Leg Press- 360lb
    Leg Extension- 100lb
    Bent Row- 100lb (max)
    Lat pulldown- 250lb+
    Tricep Extension- think the last I got up to was something around 50lbs

I'm also a beast though lol I'm built for this stuff and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it :D

Can't wait till I'm cleared to lift weights again! I'm hoping for this week :D
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Woah! Those numbers are awesome- I feel inadequate!

I'm not yet a successful EMTWLer yet, but heavy lifting is really individual- my legs are really strong but my upper body is like a weak tweenager. I was taught that "heavy" lifting is whatever weight maxes you out in 5-8 reps- meaning that at the end of 5-8 reps you are temporarily completely exhausted, you could not do one more rep. More moderate lifting is 8-13 reps and if you can do 13 or more reps its light lifting. I think you have to just go and try out different weights to figure out where you are. Your muscles are combined fast-twitch and slow-twitch fibers, and lifting heavy vs moderate vs light fires different sequences of of the fast twitch and slow twitch muscles.

The most important thing is to weight lift with correct form. It is no gain to lift heavier weights at the cost of proper form.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Awww c'mon Bean- c'mon Via let's have some fun. What numbers do you got? :D

I love seeing what other people lift, press, do ... all of it! It's inspiring and I can't think of anywhere else on MFP where we can celebrate our strength as women AND as lifters. No judgement about body type or being 'unladylike'.

I weigh a lot so my numbers look big- but they're weak for my size. Lucia and Kiki make me look like a plate of limp noodles lol

I wanna get stronger :love: I want to do this someday:
    imagesqtbnANd9GcQGdM4ftT4Zh0_5ljZrb.jpg
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wow now that girl/pic is pretty sexy! :happy:

my weights ummm errrrr ROFL 5kg per dumbbell :blushing:
    hopefully i will get to use some of the plates that came with it hahaha

But i don't do those things you guys speak of i just do like flies and arm raises and stuff :D
    Don't even own a barbell yet and can't afford one just now.
  • VVEXVVEX
    Options
    That's the spirit, gemiwing!

And by successful I simply mean -- MFPers who are pursuing this path! : )

I agree it's very inspiring to hear how strong you ladies are!
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Define 'successful' lol

I can't lift the most but I've got grit ;D

I can squat my bodyweight- all the way down to the ground. I weigh 260lbs so this impresses me lol
    I can front squat- all the way down- more but haven't maxed out yet so don't have a number to give you.

I can bench a lot more- recently out from illness but was up to 40lbs 5 sets of 5.

Calf raises- 300lb+
    Leg Press- 360lb
    Leg Extension- 100lb
    Bent Row- 100lb (max)
    Lat pulldown- 250lb+
    Tricep Extension- think the last I got up to was something around 50lbs

I'm also a beast though lol I'm built for this stuff and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it :D

Can't wait till I'm cleared to lift weights again! I'm hoping for this week :D

Dang girl!!! Someone had the calf raise machine set at 300lbs yesterday. I thought lord, someone can really do that? WTG!

My response may not apply. I'm too chicken *kitten* to do free weights, so I do the machines. These are my stats from a bit ago. I did not take pictures of the weights when I went yesterday (iPod died during running :() so I don't know what my current are. Some went up, but not much :(

Abdominal Crunch 50lb**
    Bench (Chest) Press 20lb
    Calf Raises 36lb**
    Hip Abduction 60
    Leg Curls 60**
    Leg Extension 60**
    Leg Press 110
    Mid Row Chest Supported 40**
    Overhead Press 20
    Preacher Curl 20
    Triceps Extension 30
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Wow now that girl/pic is pretty sexy! :happy:

my weights ummm errrrr ROFL 5kg per dumbbell :blushing:
    hopefully i will get to use some of the plates that came with it hahaha

But i don't do those things you guys speak of i just do like flies and arm raises and stuff :D
    Don't even own a barbell yet and can't afford one just now.

I love that pic too! She's awesome :D
    I started with just the dumbell bar lol It goes up from there- you'll see! Have you looked at squats and stuff like that? I've done individual moves for as long as I've lifted weights and the first time I did a squat was a month ago. HOLY COW lol My legs have never had a workout like that before! lol
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Dang girl!!! Someone had the calf raise machine set at 300lbs yesterday. I thought lord, someone can really do that? WTG!

My response may not apply. I'm too chicken *kitten* to do free weights, so I do the machines. These are my stats from a bit ago. I did not take pictures of the weights when I went yesterday (iPod died during running :() so I don't know what my current are. Some went up, but not much :(

Abdominal Crunch 50lb**
    Bench (Chest) Press 20lb
    Calf Raises 36lb**
    Hip Abduction 60
    Leg Curls 60**
    Leg Extension 60**
    Leg Press 110
    Mid Row Chest Supported 40**
    Overhead Press 20
    Preacher Curl 20
    Triceps Extension 30

I weigh 260 so I better be able to get on my toes with just a little more weight added on lol Never put away groceries again :D

Your 60lb leg curls impress the heck out of me! That's my biggest weak area.. poor hammies. I've got piglets. Seriously your preacher curl is great too! :D Machines count- even though I do prefer free weights ;D
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know my numbers- I haven't been keeping track. (Aah!! I know!!!!) I'm going to get organized about it and start jotting it down next time I lift...I will post my numbers soon.

I was just trying to say in my previous post that if you're looking to build strength, then you need to lift (just about) every set to failure in that 5-8 or 8-13 rep range. If you lift this way (which everyone should IMHO) then the weight you use is 100% determined by your own ability, which is highly individualized.

What numbers exactly are you ladies posting? What weight you're lifting for high intensity sets? That would seem to make more sense to me than a one-rep max for this thread. Right?
  • VVEXVVEX
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know my numbers- I haven't been keeping track. (Aah!! I know!!!!) I'm going to get organized about it and start jotting it down next time I lift...I will post my numbers soon.

I was just trying to say in my previous post that if you're looking to build strength, then you need to lift (just about) every set to failure in that 5-8 or 8-13 rep range. If you lift this way (which everyone should IMHO) then the weight you use is 100% determined by your own ability, which is highly individualized.

What numbers exactly are you ladies posting? What weight you're lifting for high intensity sets? That would seem to make more sense to me than a one-rep max for this thread. Right?

Good point, Bean. My 30# dumbbells x 2 are sets of 12.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Comparing folks lifting on different programs can create some issues- hard to compare a 50% intensity with 80%. I have a friend who trains for speed and power- she does 100% but just once and boy can she sprint! Have another buddy who runs all day long- her training is low weight but long times- like five hours lol

Some of these are going to be pyramid (from building up to being able to do 5x5 program) and some are 5x5's. Difference being pyramid numbers will be closer to 60% effort and 5x5 closer to 85% (give or take the day).

Oh- and the sun was in my eyes. :tongue:

Calf raises- 200lb pyramid
    Leg Press- 200lb pyramid
    Leg Extension- 80lb pyramid
    Bent Row- 60 5x5
    Lat pulldown- 250lb all day long- like hypertrophy to the max. (pyramid)
    Tricep Extension- 40 pyramid

Squat-
    Front- 10lbs 5x4
    Bodyweight (back style with empty 15lb bar) 5x5

Deadlift-
    20lbs 5x5 (really push for this one lol I'm a weakling in my piglets)

Chest press- 45lb 5x5

Bent Row- 60 5x5

Shoulder press- 20 5x5

(Pyramid goes like this- 12 reps at 30%; 10 reps at 40%, 8 reps at 55%, 6 reps at 75%, 12 reps at 30%)
    (stronglifts 5x5- 5 reps at 40% warm up, then 5 reps at 80% with three to five minute rest between. Repeat five times hence 5x5)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights are relative....so your heavy weights are different from my or anyone else's. The key is to alway try bumping your weights with each lift session.

I am now doing the Cathe STS program, but was doing heavy lifting (or what was heavy for me:-)

Lat pulldowns 100lbs
    Low pull 100lbs
    Chest press 105lbs
    Bicep curls 25lbs
    tricep push downs 50lbs
    Squats110lbs
    Good mornings 95lbs
    Deadlifts 115lbs
    One arm pull backs on bench 45lbs

I tell you, when I was eating lower cals...my weights were less than half that...I couldn't go up...but when I started eating, I felt like a monster in the gym...RARRRRRRRRR! LOL
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    I weigh 260 so I better be able to get on my toes with just a little more weight added on lol Never put away groceries again :D

Your 60lb leg curls impress the heck out of me! That's my biggest weak area.. poor hammies. I've got piglets. Seriously your preacher curl is great too! :D Machines count- even though I do prefer free weights ;D

My preacher curl is horrible. I just had to de-load (see I learned a new word in my research today!) because it wasn't getting any better and I needed to change it.

My quads/hams are good. I swear my thighs are like tree trunks. I hate them very much so, and I keep hoping they will trim down. I think they are like 26in, it does not make me happy :(

So basically I should be able to do a calf raise of 200-210? Calf raise of at least your weight?
  • gemiwing
    Options
    My quads/hams are good. I swear my thighs are like tree trunks. I hate them very much so, and I keep hoping they will trim down. I think they are like 26in, it does not make me happy :(

So basically I should be able to do a calf raise of 200-210? Calf raise of at least your weight?

Better tree trunks than stuffed sausage ;D

Can you stand on your toes? Then voila- you've just done a calf raise of your body weight :D A bit limited ROM-wise, but stand on a step, right on the edge while pointing your toes to the incline. Now push the heels down and then lift up to your toes- weight is on the ball of your foot. Now you've done a rull ROM calf raise with your own body weight.

Now some calf raise machines are standing and some are sitting- so those numbers will vary. My number was a seated calf raise- should have put that in there. Standing I haven't done in so long- haven't been to a commercial gym in ages and my grip gives out around 100lbs so barbelling the standing one wasn't working for me.
  • VVEXVVEX
    Options
    Heavy weights are relative....so your heavy weights are different from my or anyone else's. The key is to alway try bumping your weights with each lift session.

I am now doing the Cathe STS program, but was doing heavy lifting (or what was heavy for me:-)

Lat pulldowns 100lbs
    Low pull 100lbs
    Chest press 105lbs
    Bicep curls 25lbs
    tricep push downs 50lbs
    Squats110lbs
    Good mornings 95lbs
    Deadlifts 115lbs

I tell you, when I was eating lower cals...my weights were less than half that...I couldn't go up...but when I started eating, I felt like a monster in the gym...RARRRRRRRRR! LOL

Love seeing this -- I know it's relative but VERY inspiring to see how strong you have become! I'm feeling stronger now that I'm EATING and look forward to pushing more weight up and down.

If I can't lose that last 10 pounds, I will turn it into muscle!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Lat pulldowns 100lbs
    Low pull 100lbs
    Chest press 105lbs
    Bicep curls 25lbs
    tricep push downs 50lbs
    Squats110lbs
    Good mornings 95lbs
    Deadlifts 115lbs

Love seeing this -- I know it's relative but VERY inspiring to see how strong you have become! I'm feeling stronger now that I'm EATING and look forward to pushing more weight up and down.

If I can't lose that last 10 pounds, I will turn it into muscle!

Love the attitude...that is it right there! I really don't care what my scale says...with the weights, the fat is disappearing the muscle is toning...that makes all the difference in the world to me! Your focus totally shifts from that little demon scale...lol
  • justagirl2013
    Options

Better tree trunks than stuffed sausage ;D

Can you stand on your toes? Then voila- you've just done a calf raise of your body weight :D A bit limited ROM-wise, but stand on a step, right on the edge while pointing your toes to the incline. Now push the heels down and then lift up to your toes- weight is on the ball of your foot. Now you've done a rull ROM calf raise with your own body weight.

Now some calf raise machines are standing and some are sitting- so those numbers will vary. My number was a seated calf raise- should have put that in there. Standing I haven't done in so long- haven't been to a commercial gym in ages and my grip gives out around 100lbs so barbelling the standing one wasn't working for me.

Did y'all just notice that light? Yup, light-bulb turned on ;)

Yes, I stand on my toes and when my daughter has practice I stand up on the steps like that all the time!

ROM= range of motion, correct?

The machine i use is standing, I hate that it hurts my shoulders so. I tried doing sitting calf raises on the leg press machine, but I didn't try hard enough.