Anyone doing NROLFW also a runner?

Options
mandy_lynn
mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
I run 3-4 days a week now, and just bought a bike for the off days. I am interested in starting to lift and I was wondering if it would interfere at all?

Replies

• lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, but I when I started eating more I reduced my runs because the calories are too hard to eat back at the levels I was running (I was training for and competed in a half marathon). So the reduced running schedule has freed up some time to work in the weights. But I'm still running some. I'm doing a MudChug 5k next month.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My first half is in 2 weeks and another a month later. I also have a few 5Ks thrown in this summer too. I love running, it's my therapy!
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    "I love running, it's my therapy!"

^^ YES THIS!!! I just recently got back in to "real" running (I've been running in place for years! Lol) but I also just got back into lifting, too, so I'm trying to find balance...right now it's 5-6 workouts a week with at least 2 heavy lift only days and 3 running only days; if I get the 6th one in it's a combo of a short run (1-2miles) before or after a moderately heavy lifting session. I'm not following NROLFW or training for a race though, soooo I might be doing it ALL wrong! :)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I sorta was, but cut back while doing NRWL4W - my body just can't take both. I'm trying to still get in some short ones, but won't increase my miles back up until I'm done with the program. I wish I had been eating more before - I'm sure my runs would have gone a lot better!
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am training for my 1st half marathon too! I run mine Sunday! I am not following NROLFW really, my gym doesn't have an Olympic bar and only has a Smith machine, which I have been told suck, so I feel like I can't really do it. BUT, I have been lifting heavy for about 2 months (Jamie Eason) and have been loving my results. I haven't noticed it having any ill effects on my running.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm doing both and just finished stage 1. My body was just too tired to run during the first stage, although I did try a couple times. A lot of people do the program with 2 workouts a week instead of three and I think I'm going to do that, at least for stage 2, as I'm planning to do a 10K at the end of May.

The general feedback I have read from others in the NROL group say that they have had huge improvements in their running after starting lifting weights, I think the issue is just that your muscles are so tired! And I'm sure it also depends on how hard you push yourself. I'm a lifting noob so I was really trying to hard to keep upping my weights and going as heavy as I could, others that are more seasoned don't seem to struggle as much.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There are other strength training routines you can do, including some FOR runners. I started with Women's Health Belly Off Program, you can find it online for free. Or search workouts for runners. And EAT, EAT, EAT!