Does it really matter what TIME you eat?

Options
2012asv
2012asv Posts: 702 Member
Don't eat after 6pm. Eat 6 meals a day. Eat whatever you want as long as you're within your macros. Don't eat carbs at the end of the day. Drink protein shakes after workouts not before.

so many contradictions. Anyone come across medical proof or evidence of truth behind any of this?

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I can't obsess over all those details. I try to stay within my calories. The rest of it...eh...whatever...lol. I'm doing just fine without all of those added rules.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but since I'm a "first thing in the morning weigher", if I eat a lot too late in the evening, I'll see undigested food weight on the scale in the morning, which is always a bit disappointing, but not "real" pounds.
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm going to commit internet fraud by not substantiating my claim with any facts but I have a handful of MFP buddies that continually post scientifically supported information that says the following: hit your daily macros, period. When you eat, how you eat, where you eat, what you eat is all personal preference. There is no scientific evidence to back up the "6 meals a day to keep your metabolism stoked" conventional wisdom that floats around every health forum on the planet. Eating carbs and protein immediately after you work out doesn't hit a magical "carb upload" window. Chances are you haven't even remotely come close to depleting your muscles' glycogen.

Hopefully some internet savior can come and post all the links backing up my wild conjecture. I gotta go get my 3 year old to stop yelling from her bed so the 7 year old can get to sleep.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't really matter. just get it in, consistently. Everyone finds ways to make it work for them. I know plenty of IFers who skip breakfast, and lose weight just fine, even though I'm a huge breakfast eater, and wouldn't be caught dead skipping it. Plenty of people stop eating after 6, but I eat in the bed right before going to sleep, most nights, lol. I eat all day, every day, but someone else may choose to eat three square. The only problem comes in when you're not eating enough. That's typically when I'll suggest a person try to fit more small meals, until their body gets used to more food, then they can set up their eating schedule as best for their lifestyles...

Kiki
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't really matter. just get it in, consistently. Everyone finds ways to make it work for them. I know plenty of IFers who skip breakfast, and lose weight just fine, even though I'm a huge breakfast eater, and wouldn't be caught dead skipping it. Plenty of people stop eating after 6, but I eat in the bed right before going to sleep, most nights, lol. I eat all day, every day, but someone else may choose to eat three square. The only problem comes in when you're not eating enough. That's typically when I'll suggest a person try to fit more small meals, until their body gets used to more food, then they can set up their eating schedule as best for their lifestyles...

Kiki

Hi Kiki,
    Thanks for the info! I beleive you because I've followed your posts and you seem to have it down. I always get a late start to food. I'm one of those I'd rather not eat breakfast but I force myself to otherwise I cant meet my goals, blah blah blah. But by the time I'm done running around like a headless chicken at the end of the day Its pretty late. So I eat late.... Then I wait an hour before my workout and then after I'm done working out I get hungry for a snack, by then it's super late lol I figured it was "ok" since I'm sticking to my macros for the most part and eating clean anyways. I just needed some non-myth follwing confirmation.

Thanks again! :smooched:
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Uh well considering it's 10pm and I haven't ate diner yet, I hope there is no "right" time. I routinely eat this late, and I was loosing weight :)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's 11 here, and I just ate....again... :tongue:
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's 11 here, and I just ate....again... :tongue:

Doesn't it almost make you feel like a baby? Eating all the time? At least I feel that way, hah!