Strava Application Users - New MFP Cycle Club

Options
13»

Replies

• Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I just uploaded my last 30 rides to Stava and signed up for the mfp club- cool!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Just joined up. Hope my daily commutes don't spam the group too much! It's the nice thing about commuting by bike: you get a workout and you save gas!
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Just joined the MFP Club on Strava under the name Gary M.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard Gary - just in time to see my outdoor mileage tumble into oblivion as the weather gets worse and worse...
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    OK - I figured out how to join both Strava and the MFP group - now it looks like it wants data from the Garmin device - most of the workouts for the next couple of months will be indoors and interval based rather than ride based (there are a few exceptions) - I guess we'll find out how Strava looks at files without a GPS map since I turn the satellites off when we are indoors. I'll see how this works. For the indoor workouts, I have been using recently the Training Peaks site (free version) as the data from an indoor workout is downloaded to their site - shows the heart rate, wattage, cadence, and speed (which is useless on the trainers) and it looks at the data from an analysis point of view (ie degree of difficulty etc). Will be fun to compare the two approaches for indoor workouts.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I just joined the group though I have no data at Strava. This community here had me looking Strava over. I tend to use cardio trainer to record both my runs and rides. Can you log spin rides at Strava? I moving to winter and that's spin season for me.
  • CyclingAddict
    Options
    Just joined the Strava group (feel free to follow; I will in return). Have only been using Strava for a few short weeks and have not had any monumental rides in that time. Hopefully I can post something impressive there soon.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    OK - I figured out how to join both Strava and the MFP group - now it looks like it wants data from the Garmin device - most of the workouts for the next couple of months will be indoors and interval based rather than ride based (there are a few exceptions) - I guess we'll find out how Strava looks at files without a GPS map since I turn the satellites off when we are indoors. I'll see how this works. For the indoor workouts, I have been using recently the Training Peaks site (free version) as the data from an indoor workout is downloaded to their site - shows the heart rate, wattage, cadence, and speed (which is useless on the trainers) and it looks at the data from an analysis point of view (ie degree of difficulty etc). Will be fun to compare the two approaches for indoor workouts.

To be honest, strava is pretty much rubbish with indoor cycling stuff - I only record there out of a sense of "completeness" ...

Compare the same ride, same .TCX file as produced via a .HRM file convert direct from the Tacx Trainer I use...

Garmin Connect - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/242721305

Strava - http://app.strava.com/activities/27618524

Apart from the fact that Strava choses to re-calculate the calories consumed (irritating, seeing as I'm using actual power figures from the trainer, verified as being within 1-2% via a powertap wheel!) I can't incorporate the mapping (and hence altitude data) into the strava file - unless of course I want to end up getting KoM notifications on every slope (as I was riding the route with a drastically down-graded output power rating!) - I tried this once, on a Virtual ride up Alpe d'Huez and got the KoM time by something like 9:30 over 3 of the blokes from the pro-peleton... at that point, I decided it wasn't really "the done thing" to incorporate mapping into anything I export to Strava :laugh:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I can't incorporate the mapping (and hence altitude data) into the strava file - unless of course I want to end up getting KoM notifications on every slope (as I was riding the route with a drastically down-graded output power rating!) - I tried this once, on a Virtual ride up Alpe d'Huez and got the KoM time by something like 9:30 over 3 of the blokes from the pro-peleton... at that point, I decided it wasn't really "the done thing" to incorporate mapping into anything I export to Strava :laugh:

:laugh: I'm sure I don't know what you mean... :bigsmile: :blushing: :noway: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    :drinker: :woot: Just managed to get my ride in for the BMC 79 Challenge - made it with nearly 1.5 miles to spare :woot: :drinker:

Thinking about it, this is probably the longest ride I've done since I turned 30 !
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :woot: Just managed to get my ride in for the BMC 79 Challenge - made it with nearly 1.5 miles to spare :woot: :drinker:

Thinking about it, this is probably the longest ride I've done since I turned 30 !

Strong work! :drinker: Not near that level...yet.
  • FullMelt
    Options
    I'm in.

Just got back into the swing of things on MFP and fixed up my fixed gear, it will be cool having contact with others via Strava/MFP! I hope it inspires me to ride more haha