Goal Body weight and body fat calculators on Fat2Fit

Options
Has anyone used the goal body weight calculator to try to figure out their goal weight? I am 5' 7" and currently ~150# and was thinking, that I'd like to be 125#-130#. I was able to get to that weight on weight watchers (I was about to turn 40 and that was a strong motivator..lol). I am now about to turn 43 and would like to be healthy and strong.

The body fat calculators on fat2fit shows that I should be anywhere from 20% (covert bailey) to 30% (military) body fat. Most show me about 26.75, so I'll go with that.

The lowest body fat for my age according to the goal weight chart should be 23%. If I input that info I end of that my goal weight should be 143#....which is not where I feel comfortable in my body. Anyone have thoughts on this?

BTW---I am in week 6 of upping my calories from 1200 to 1900-2000.

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It is very possible with strength training that you could be that weight (143) and still be the size that you want. I would focus on BF% instead of the scale. Sometimes the scale plays mind games.
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    You're right. I need to bear that in mind. It is a HUGE change in thinking for me. I wish I could put the scale away for a while. I need to wait until this intro period is over for me so I can tell the hubs how it works...then we can put the scale away.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Use the scale, but take it's stats with a LARGE grain of salt, lol. I very rarely "lose" weight. But the clothing size has changed drastically. So just include your scale w/a large variety of other factors, like measurements, bf% and clothing size. As nixirain, said, you may never drop another lb, but you can be sure that you'll look 10xs better w/strength training is involved..

~Kiki
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I'm pressing on until my 6 week mark, then I will evaluate where to go from there.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I am eating for my 'goal' weight as given on fat2fit, I have gone for a middle body fat % for my age but also am keeping in mind that my eventual goal weight will probably be more - I just have a way to go yet before I get there!!