Determining Activity Level

Options
CorinthiaB
CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
I posted this on the main board but I wanted some feedback from the group. I am not a big calorie burner. I exercise 3-5 days a week but my burns are roughly from 350-500 calories per session. I selected moderately for my level but I am not sure. I came across this article on the web and wanted to know should I follow the example of calories burned to select my activity level.

Here is the article:

Calorie Restriction Calculator
Calorie Restriction (CR) is a diet in which calorie intake is reduced, compared to diets that do not limit consumption, i.e., ad libitum (AL) diets. CR has been effective in extending the lifespan of many species through biochemical mechanisms that are still not well understood. Mice fed calorically restricted diets generally outlive mice fed AL diets by significant margins. It is not known yet whether CR will extend life on humans, but it is known that being slim, with a Body Mass Index around 21, reduces the incidence of diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Many people have already adopted CR diets to stay healthy and hoping to prolong their lives. To practice CR safely, it is necessary to select foods that provide all the nutritional requirements, but which are low in calories.[1]

BMI 22.0
Male Control
BMI 22.0
Female Control

How do you measure Caloric Restriction?
In animal experiments, scientists divide a set of genetically homogeneous animals into an experimental group and a control group. They measure how much a control group eats, and then use that amount as the basis for determining how much to feed the experimental CR group, e.g., 30% less, etc. Although it is not possible to find genetically homogeneous controls for humans, the predictive energy expenditure equations like Harris-Benedict[2] and Mifflin-St Jeor[3], in addition to the Body Mass Index (BMI) formula, make it possible to determine the calorie requirements of a person with your physical characteristics, but having a BMI of 22.0 which corresponds to the middle of the normal range. This theoretical person will be your "Control Twin" and will have your same height, age, sex, and exercise habits, but a weight corresponding to a BMI of 22.0. The BMI is the ratio of the weight to the height squared. It is calculated by dividing the weight in kilograms by the height in meters squared (BMI = weight / height2).

The Harris-Benedict and the Mifflin-St Jeor equations provide an estimate of the Basal Energy Expenditure (BEE), also called the Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR), or Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Predictive energy equations are routinely used in hospitals and nutrition clinics to determine the calorie requirements of various patients. Of the four most commonly used predictive energy equations, the Mifflin-St Jeor equations give the most reliable results.[4]

The Mifflin-St Jeor equations are:

Male: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age + 5
Female: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age - 161

These equations require the weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years. To determine your total daily calorie needs, the BMR has to be multiplied by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•1.200 = sedentary (little or no exercise)

•1.375 = lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week, approx. 590 Cal/day)

•1.550 = moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week, approx. 870 Cal/day)

•1.725 = very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week, approx. 1150 Cal/day)

•1.900 = extra active (very hard exercise/sports and physical job, approx. 1580 Cal/day)

NOTE: A 150-pound (68 kg) person walking at 4 miles per hour uses about 300 Cal per hour (5 kcal/min). The activity factor lightly active corresponds to walking 2 hours per day, moderately active corresponds to walking 3 hours per day, very active corresponds to walking 4 hours per day, and extra active corresponds to walking 5 hours per day (20 miles). Sedentary would include those sitting at a desk all day with no other activity or those confined to a wheelchair or mobility scooters who are not able to exercise.

Replies

• jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Check this out, this person has a desk job also.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/568723-tdee-and-activity-level-setting
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM to track your burns? I take it as Moderate is working out 3-5 days per week for around an hour per work out or Moderate intensity (the talk test)

The talk test is a simple way to measure relative intensity. As a rule of thumb, if you're doing moderate-intensity activity you can talk, but not sing, during the activity. If you're doing vigorous-intensity activity, you will not be able to say more than a few words without pausing for a breath.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I calculated my numbers saying I am moderately active as well. I work out 30-40 minutes 3-5 days a week, with maybe 2 one hour sessions in there. I also teach and spend a lot of my day on my feet.

What is the difference between the activity levels when calculating all your numbers?
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    I have a desk job. I do have a HRM and my burns varies. The days I do strength training/with cardio warm up I typically burn 350-400. The days I do Zumba or other cardio I can burn from 350-500 depending on the length of time and activity. My TDEE for lightly is 2727 and moderately is 3074. Initially I went with the moderately numbers but, the scale was not moving and it would be a challenge to consume all the calories. Especially trying to eat back my exercise calories after I get home from the gym. Plus, I thought that moderately was too much. I did decrease to the lightly active and I can better manage those calories. I did take the advice and reduce my cardio time to 30 to 45 minutes at the most. I just don't want to be consuming more calories than I should. Also, I kinda tweaked the program. I set my calorie goal to my BMR which is 1983 and I eat back any exercise calories so that I can net my BMR. I started this a week ago and in one week I lost almost 5lbs. I am not sure what this week will hold but the scale did move.
  • jaeone
    Options
    Did you subtract the 15% for your deficit? Plus your TDEE includes your activity so you wouldn't eat back your exercise calories.
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    Did you subtract the 15% for your deficit? Plus your TDEE includes your activity so you wouldn't eat back your exercise calories.

Yes! At first I was at 15% and then I went to 20% because I have so much to lose. I was confused about that. I would eat back my burn so I could net my BMR. Duh Corinthia! That is probably why I wasn't moving. I was stuck on you must net your BMR.
  • jaeone
    Options
    Good Luck. Maybe the experts will pop in with some more info!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I do have a HRM and my burns varies. The days I do strength training/with cardio warm up I typically burn 350-400. The days I do Zumba or other cardio I can burn from 350-500 depending on the length of time and activity. My TDEE for lightly is 2727 and moderately is 3074. Initially I went with the moderately numbers but, the scale was not moving and it would be a challenge to consume all the calories. Especially trying to eat back my exercise calories after I get home from the gym. Plus, I thought that moderately was too much. I did decrease to the lightly active and I can better manage those calories. I did take the advice and reduce my cardio time to 30 to 45 minutes at the most. I just don't want to be consuming more calories than I should. Also, I kinda tweaked the program. I set my calorie goal to my BMR which is 1983 and I eat back any exercise calories so that I can net my BMR. I started this a week ago and in one week I lost almost 5lbs. I am not sure what this week will hold but the scale did move.

Well normally we say go for TDEE - 15% and you do not eat back exercise calories unless you have a high burn and are under BMR. We don't want you just eating the BMR amount on non-workout days because remember BMR are the calories needed for you to stay in the bed and not move all day...so you know like I do, we get up and get moving...so bam calories above BMR are being used.

What I do is put in my cut value as my goal and eat that every single day, and I eat anything more unless my home page NET calories says I am under BMR... So with your burns, you really shouldn't have to eat more than your cut value.

The body is getting a constant amount of food that way but still running at a deficit...see this isn't about losing weight rapidly, it is about fueling and getting the body to run efficiently and to revv up the metabolism...then it is able to go harder, lift heavier, so that you start burning some fat and minimize loss of muscle tissue while losing.
  • CorinthiaB
    Options

Well normally we say go for TDEE - 15% and you do not eat back exercise calories unless you have a high burn and are under BMR. We don't want you just eating the BMR amount on non-workout days because remember BMR are the calories needed for you to stay in the bed and not move all day...so you know like I do, we get up and get moving...so bam calories above BMR are being used.

What I do is put in my cut value as my goal and eat that every single day, and I eat anything more unless my home page NET calories says I am under BMR... So with your burns, you really shouldn't have to eat more than your cut value.

The body is getting a constant amount of food that way but still running at a deficit...see this isn't about losing weight rapidly, it is about fueling and getting the body to run efficiently and to revv up the metabolism...then it is able to go harder, lift heavier, so that you start burning some fat and minimize loss of muscle tissue while losing.

Ok. I think I have it now. Do my TDEE with a cut and not eat back exercise calories unless I am below my BMR? What level of activity should I use? I don't think my burns are at moderate for the simple fact it is rare that I get above 500 calories. I just want to make sure I am not doing more damage than good.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yep, you got it. I'd still stick w/moderate for 3-5 days of workout per week. How long are your workouts usually?
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    Yep, you got it. I'd still stick w/moderate for 3-5 days of workout per week. How long are your workouts usually?

Zumba with a warm up is normally 50-55 minutes

Strength training with warm up is normally 45-50 minutes

Walking I try to do atleast 30-45 minutes or longer
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    I'd def consider 3-5 hours per week "moderate" if you feel that you're doing more than that, like 5-6 hours, then you may wanna even go up to the next activity level...
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    I'd def consider 3-5 hours per week "moderate" if you feel that you're doing more than that, like 5-6 hours, then you may wanna even go up to the next activity level...

Thanks! I will reset my goal in the morning. Again thanks!
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    Reset my goal this morning. I am debating hiding the scale for a few weeks. I am going over and over with the same few pounds but the inches are falling.
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    You know yourself better than anyone. If that scale is gonna drive you nuts, accept it and make that choice. For me, I was SLAVE to that sucka, lol. I had to give it away to Goodwill, lol, cause I didn't wanna be tempted, and give that scale dominion over my life anymore. I hated those days when I would step on the scale feeling great, and then it would spew forth some crazy lie back at me, and ruin my whole mood. :explode: As if the # should really change the way that I'd felt just 30 seconds before?! Insane. I didn't have a scale for years, just finally bought my current one, less than a year ago, when I was finally ready to accept whatever it told me. I was still pretty darn shocked at the # that it gave me :noway: (way higher than I "felt"), but I no longer cared, because I knew that my new pants size told the real truth...
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    You know yourself better than anyone. If that scale is gonna drive you nuts, accept it and make that choice. For me, I was SLAVE to that sucka, lol. I had to give it away to Goodwill, lol, cause I didn't wanna be tempted, and give that scale dominion over my life anymore. I hated those days when I would step on the scale feeling great, and then it would spew forth some crazy lie back at me, and ruin my whole mood. :explode: As if the # should really change the way that I'd felt just 30 seconds before?! Insane. I didn't have a scale for years, just finally bought my current one, less than a year ago, when I was finally ready to accept whatever it told me. I was still pretty darn shocked at the # that it gave me :noway: (way higher than I "felt"), but I no longer cared, because I knew that my new pants size told the real truth...

Thanks so much for sharing! It is no longer a debate. The scale is in the closet for the next couple months.