Introductions

Options
damuchi429
damuchi429 Posts: 33 Member
My name is Damuchi and I am starting the journey at 256 pounds. I hope to lose 25 pounds. I am starting with 50 grams of carbs per day and will increase it slightly each week. Of course I am kicking all sugars and eating very little salt. I hurt my leg so I can't do any exercise that requires putting weight on it so I will be doing floor exercises and arm work.

Replies

• Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi, Damuchi (and anyone else who pops in here!)

I too am starting at exactly 256 pounds. My goal is to lose 25 pounds in the next 18 weeks. I'd love to lose them in the next 6 weeks, but it seems the older I get (just turned 42) the harder it is for me to drop weight quickly. I am a 42 yo married female - I work a full time job, a part time job, and I'm going to school part time too for massage therapy. I am currently doing clinic on Friday afternoons and all day Saturday to get in my required number of massages so I can graduate in June!

The only time I can find to work out is really early mornings. I commute to work - about 40 miles - and there is a gym right by work. So on M-W-F I haul my butt outta bed and out the door by 5 a.m. so I can get to the gym and get in a workout before I have to get ready for work.

I personally am following a different plan that isn't technically low carb - Eating For Life by Bill Phillips - not low carb necessarily, but supposed to avoid all the white stuff - white bread, white rice, white sugar, LOL. Healthy carbs like whole grains are expected, though I do eat them in strict moderation. I tend to get more of my carb intake from veggies.

Ok, I think I'm writing a book - sorry bout that. Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    My name is Marie and having Internet problems so will be sweet and short

Marie
  • damuchi429
    Options
    Hey Resalyn nice to meet you. I liked your story it motivates me with all that you have going on that you still find time for workouts.
  • MsPetuniaPig
    MsPetuniaPig Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello All!!! I am super excited to be invited in!!!!

Ok.. 6 weeks... I am starting around 175. ( I will weigh myself in the morning.) I really prefer a low carb lifestyle. It's kinda nuts, but I can stay below 40 NET carbs a day when I try. I am a born carnivore :smile: I was doing the 30DS until the feeling came back in my cervical nerves. I have cervical spondi-something and am having the nerves fried by radio frequency this Friday. C2 - C7. I should be able to start the 30 days that has been stunted off and on for about 3 months around the 15th of May, but I will make an effort to get something in before there.

I have a meeting in 5 minutes, but cannot wait to get back to read all about everyone. I have been in a funk since right before Easter when the pain started getting beyond uncomfortable. This is exactly what I needed. I love being competitive and having teammates to help call me out on the bad days and cheer me on in the good times!
  • damuchi429
    Options
    Hey Petunia glad to meet you and see your excitement.
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My name is Sondra. Well I have been fighting the same 3 pounds off and then on again with out changing anything much so I am looking forward to the challenge. More exercise and less carbs. I have about 15 pounds to go total. I would be happy to lose 6 in the next six weeks. Just need to find my Atkins book for the meal plans.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi, I'm Bailey. I am starting at 155 pounds. My original goal was 150, but I can already see that I will be making a new goal once I get to 150. Probably 140. I would really like to start to work on working out more and getting toned. I have lost about 50 pounds in the last year or so. I have had 3 kids, so I have a lot of loose skin. My stomach is dreadful! I am currently doing Atkins and keep it under 20 net carbs a day, and that has really worked out well for me. Add me as a friend everyone! Im' excited to be in this group!
  • HAMMBONE
    HAMMBONE Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,

Damunchi, are you doing net carbs or gross? I am going to try to stay between 30 - 50 net carbs.

I am super excited to see our great group coming together.

I will be back in abit to catch up as I must go show an apartment, then I have a client coming in at 1:30.

ARE YOU READY TO LOSE???? We are going to rock this place over the next 6 weeks... wooohooo
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Jenna. I'm 39 and a mother of two young boys, 5 and 7. My husband works full time and is also a graduate student, I also work full time, so that's a lot going on in our house. I am currently starting week 2 of South Beach Phase 1 (no grains, no starch). After that week I'll slowly work whole grains back into my diet. My biggest challenge is making dinner every night. I hate cooking in a messy kitchen, but most nights I'm exhausted by the time I cook dinner, eat, and get the kids in the tub. It's a LOT of work to then wash dishes, clean the kitchen, and then get to laundry. So those are my additional challenges!
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kay, will be 61 July 1st. I'll be going to the beach June 16th and I plan on losing those last 10 pounds before then so this challenge is perfect.

I am pre-diabetic and am taking metformin ER. Hopefully if I get the rest of this weight off my doctor will take me off of it. I try to keep my carbs below 100 per day. Need someone to tell me if the carbs on MFP are net or gross? I try and eat Primal as much as possible.
  • th1nkth1nmama
    Options
    I'm Sharon, I'm a 29 yr old married mom of 2 boys. Going to try to stay between 50-70 net carbs and workout 4-5 times a week. my start weight is 218 and I turn 30 on June 7th so I'm hoping for Onederland by then... or close to it. I was there June 23rd last year and gained the weight back...
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm Renee. 42 yoa. Mom of 4 girls (the baby is 13) and Granny of a 3 yr old boy and almost 7 mth old girl. I have been overweight almost my entire life. On one diet or another most of the time. This is the first year I have really gotten serious. I started at 250. Today I am at 231. My cousin had great success with the 17 day diet (another form of a low carb program that slowly adds carbs) so I am going to try it starting Sunday. I have to wait to buy groceries til then. I tried Atkins and my kidneys couldnt handle it. I am diabetic, have battled cardiomyopathy and CHF, high blood pressure, and bad feet. All of which I am on meds for. All of which I am hoping weight loss will take care of. This journey with supportive people sounds like what I need!
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    Name is Katie - I currently weigh in at 189 and have been fluctuating between 186 and 194 for well over two years. Just watched my roommate drop 35 pounds like it was nothing and it's time I jump on that train!
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite! My name is Tracy, l currently weigh 217 and am looking to lose about 70 lbs. I've been having a hard time trying to keep the weight off. I'm 41 and I have PCOS. I know that low carb works well for me, but I need to do it in a way that I can keep it up for life. I always start out great, then go back to eating carbs. My body is so sensitive to carbs that any sugar at all causes me to gain weight. :( I tried the 4hour body diet (hoping that a cheat day would help me stick to low carb) but my body just held onto the calories I ate on my cheat day. ugh!

So, I've been tweaking the carbs and exercise trying to find the magic number for my body and my sanity. So far, I'm maintaining, but really want to lose. I've upped my calorie intake, purchased a Fitbit pedometer and I am monitoring EVERYTHING! every bite, every sip, and every step. I'm hoping to see that scale start to move soon. :)

My motto: NO EXCUSES!!!!
  • Resalyn
    Options
    purchased a Fitbit pedometer and I am monitoring EVERYTHING! every bite, every sip, and every step. I'm hoping to see that scale start to move soon. :)

Hey, FireSwan! I'm a fitbitter too! I climbed the Coit Tower today, LOL. I love my Fitbit!
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Happy to meet everyone. My name is Susan. Married 41 yrs this Oct. I Have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. I work as a mammographer. ( I do mammograms) My starting weight is 142... My goal is 130. Cause I'm only 5'3". I'm doing net carbs. Trying to stay under 20 carbs.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    purchased a Fitbit pedometer and I am monitoring EVERYTHING! every bite, every sip, and every step. I'm hoping to see that scale start to move soon. :)

Hey, FireSwan! I'm a fitbitter too! I climbed the Coit Tower today, LOL. I love my Fitbit!

Wow, pretty cool, Resalyn. I'm still getting used to the fitbit and how it syncs with MFP. So far, I love it!!
    I climbed 12 floors yesterday (the tallest snowman lol). I would like to try and get that + more everyday. So far today I have 8 floors.
  • Resalyn
    Options
    FIRESWAN: This is a lifting day for me - so I did my UBWO (upper body workout) and then did 35 mins on the treadmill Hill Profile. My fitbit says I've climbed 13 floors already, which is odd - I didn't think it would count the hill profile as floors climbed? Oh well, I'm not complaining! I didn't make my 10,000 steps goal yesterday - but I'm almost half way there already today!

To all of you - I think I have identified a trigger food that I am sensitive to. I LOVE banana with PB. I mean LOVE IT. I could eat it six times a day. High in carbs, though, because of the natural sugar. For a while there last month I was having it as a snack at least once a day - sometimes twice a day.

Now, even though I ate this snack, I still stayed within my calorie limits at a 500-cal a day deficit - and I GAINED. Not a lot, just a few pounds. I got out of the mood for my fav snack, stopped eating it, and dropped those few pounds. Here it is a month later, and I'm trying to follow my EFL eating plan, which means 5-6 small meals a day - and I had this snack once on Monday, and twice yesterday - and got on the scale this morning and I've gained 3 pounds since Saturday morning.

I KNOW this is water weight from this sensitivity I have - not sure if the sensitivity is to the banana or the PB or the combination of both. But as sad as this makes me, I am going to have to swear off my absolute FAVORITE thing to eat. Dammit. Intellectually I know this is what I need to do, but man it makes me sad. Why is it that we get so attached to things? <sigh>

So that's my revelation for the day.....
  • HAMMBONE
    Options
    Can I say "WOW". So happy to see so many coming together on this journey!

Alittle about me... my name is Debbie. I am 53. Married with 2 grown boys. Love being outdoors!

I have struggled with gaining/losing for years now! Ready to break the cycle.

Tired of sore, achy joints and feeling I can't do some of the things I used to do when I KNOW I CAN! It is time to stop allowing WEIGHT to control my life!!!!

I am happy each of you have decided to come with me on this journey!!!
  • HAMMBONE
    Options
    Ladies, please post what way of eating (WOE'ing) you plan to follow so we can help keep you accountable over the next 6 weeks.
    Post if you are incorporating exercise too.

Some of us will have limits and that's ok but let's do our best to do something even if it is sitting in our chair doing leg swings!!! Movement is movemeng and it burns calories!