Ladies, please give your opinion on this!

Options
bug1114
bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
This was just posted by Jillian Michaels on her facebook status:

*Weight loss tip - So many people come up to me and tell me they can’t lose weight and yet, I haven’t ever met a person I can’t take weight off. You're not counting calories. Forget all the fad diets for a moment and just focus on the basics. Weight loss will always require burning more calories than you take in. Calories in versus calories out. If you're trying to lose weight I recommend 1200 cal...s a day for a woman & 1400 cals a day for a man. Only exception is green veggies. Eat as many greens as you want, but make sure they aren’t cooked in a fattening sauce. Don’t get hamstrung by fads like avoiding carbs or grains, going raw, and so on. It’s perfectly healthy to eat carbs, fat, and protein as long as they are not overly processed and loaded with chemicals like trans fats, artificial sweeteners, flavors and colors, hfcs, and so on. Eat real food with calorie control and you can’t go wrong.*

Um....1200 calories a day for a woman and 1400 for a man? I would LOVE to hear your opinions please!!

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I DO NOT AGREE! You will lose weight for a while until the metabolism slows way down and then what? Sorry, why drop weight fast to gain it back? Howmany "DIETERS" actually keep the weight off? Look at the show biggest loser, a good percentage regain the weight...there is an issue. You can't tell the body to survive on less than it takes to stay in bed for 24hrs for extended periods of time...something has to give. The problem I find with us (meaning our society), is that we want everything right now...no yesterday...and will do whatever to get it, but never stop to think about how it will affect us later on...then you get stuck in a vicious yo-yo diet cycle. Oh man, I am jumping off the soap box!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. :grumble: Nothing against Jillian, but in her very stance "against" fad dieting, she's promoting one. The 1200 cal concept is just the latest "fad." As you can see from the 1600 members of this group, which make up such a tiny part of the population, people are not happy NOR are they having LONG TERM success on these types of plans (unless they eat that way or LESS for the remainder of their lives :indifferent: ).

So I guess I should rephrase that, sure, I agree that people can lose weight on 1200 or 1400 cals, BUT can they keep it off????

:huh:

I sure know I couldn't, and didn't have half the energy or body composition progress that I get at 2000 cals.... :drinker:

Kiki
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I agree with her-

Toddler female- 1200 a day
    Toddler male- 1400 a day.

(Real FDA recommendations for toddlers- between 1200-2000 cals a day)

You guys don't want to hear how I really feel about this- and I try to keep my postings to the group clean and professional. The topic of a nationally-recognized 'fitness and nutrition' professional blatantly spewing out nonesense- it ohhhh nuh-uh... I'm backing away from the keyboard lol
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    ROFLMBO@Gemiwing!!! I know exactly what you mean. Just back away slowly..... :tongue:
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ahhh Gemiwing can always rely on you for a morning laugh ROFL ROFL
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I agree with her-

Toddler female- 1200 a day
    Toddler male- 1400 a day.

(Real FDA recommendations for toddlers- between 1200-2000 cals a day)

You guys don't want to hear how I really feel about this- and I try to keep my postings to the group clean and professional. The topic of a nationally-recognized 'fitness and nutrition' professional blatantly spewing out nonesense- it ohhhh nuh-uh... I'm backing away from the keyboard lol

Wowza girl!!! Don't know you but I like your style!! Glad you're on our side!!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    My 3 1/2 year old son eats more calories than that and he only weights 30lbs. It really frustrates me seeing this type of thing but it isn't just the eat only 1200 calories it is the products that they sell here take a pill it will make you lose weight, by a wrap it makes you lose inches, drink a meal replacement shake it makes you lose weight. The pills and shakes are filled with over processed garbage I agree with Lucia so many people will spend $1000 on gimmick (lose weight now) things but won't spend the time to do it right.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I can't believe she encourages that! I am reading her book "Master your metabolism" and I would never get the message of eating eating so little from that book. I'm very disappointed in her. But I don't think she has any formal training in nutrition, so what do I expect?
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love the replies to this, you ladies are cracking me up! :laugh: