Ketostix Test Results

Options
missyyclaire
missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
If you're a bit new to this, you might want to purchase a bottle of Ketostix. They run about $12 for 50 strips. They're made by Bayer, who also makes KetoDiaStix, which test the ketones AND glucose in your urine. They're a little more expensive at about $15 a bottle. Most likely, all you need are the Ketostix.

I think it'd be cool to be able to come to this thread where you can post your 'color' of the day. Today, mine was a pretty magenta, or moderate along the scale. Neat!

Replies

• Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    :smile: My carb total for today is 13. Haven't found ketostix. But 'm still looking.
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for setting up the challenge, I decided to join in because I thought it would be a good opportunity to refocus.

I will be away the day the challenge starts and so will pick up from 3 May.

Not sure I will go as low as 20gms but will monitor as I go and adjust where necessary.
  • jparker12379
    jparker12379 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mine was a light pink ... somewhere between trace and Small I have not been able to get past small in 10 days
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    I was dark this morning, into the large range on the scale.

I started doing ketosis 2 1/2 weeks ago. The first week I lost 3.2 pounds. The next period was a week and a half and I'm down 1 pound for a total of 4.2. Makes me happy to see the scale sliding down again instead of up! I think I put on 6 lbs last month because I let carbs sneak in. I think I was underestimating just how many I was getting, plus I was not trying to get into ketosis til 2 1/2 weeks ago. Just low carb, but not VERY low carb.

I thought by starting a new challenge, for me, and for all of y'all, that it would be a great motivator to have friends all trying for the same goal. This is probably the biggest reason MFP has worked for me, all the support and common bonds. I appreciate everyone here, we all struggle and push and pull for the 'prize' which is a better 'us'. I think we're going to find that in 30 days we'll be a little farther down that trail. COOL!
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Mine was a light pink ... somewhere between trace and Small I have not been able to get past small in 10 days

Just curious how many carbs you're eating? They can sneak in so easily, I think it's why I put on 6 lbs last month...I let them sneak in and wasn't really watching my intake. It's why I started ketosis 2 1/2 weeks ago, to shed those 6 and to push me down the good path again.
  • jparker12379
    Options
    I think the carbs are sneaking in thru my splenda, I drink ALOT of coffee with splenda and cream and don't log it right I am sure!

my daily net carbs have been between 20-30 for 11 days now.

So tomorrow I am making the drastic change to just ONE cup of morning coffee and will see if that makes any differance after a few days.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've been notorious for keep my carbs between 50-100g, so I'm excited to start the challenge. The last few days I have been able to keep mine around 30/40, so hopefully by challenge day I'll be much more disciplined to stay at or below 30g.

Great challenge! Thanks for organizing!
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for a new challenge. I too have noticed the carbs creeping up above my usual range, so this will be added incentive to watch them and really focus on bringing the good fat levels up a bit.

Are you (is anyone) setting your tracker for specific ratios or do you just aim to eat the "keto-friendly" foods and stay there?
  • SlightandSubstantial
    Options
    I've been looking for a way to break away from my plateau (and even a 2 pound gain!) and I think this will be it for me. Need to lose 10 pounds and just being Primal isn't really working. I FEEL healthier but I'm not seeing a difference on the scale or in the mirror. So excited (and nervous!) to start. I'll be on vacation until the 4th so we'll see if I can actually do it while I'm away. Need to get my hands on some strips....
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for a new challenge. I too have noticed the carbs creeping up above my usual range, so this will be added incentive to watch them and really focus on bringing the good fat levels up a bit.

Are you (is anyone) setting your tracker for specific ratios or do you just aim to eat the "keto-friendly" foods and stay there?

I've changed my macros (60% Fat, 10% Carbs, 30% protein)
  • Firesign
    Options
    I got my strips today. I'm between trace and small. I'm happy..I 'm getting there. I went over on my carbs today. I'm trying to stay at 5% with carbs which is only like 17....today I did 21. I didn't realize my turkey breast has carbs in it. 2 carbs per slice. So I'll have to search for more carb free food. :wink: How 's everyone else doing?
  • jparker12379
    Options
    Just tested moderate, I am thinking less coffee today did the trick :-)
  • Firesign
    Options
    Great job jparker!!! This is a quote from The Ketogenic Diet. org . The strips start off neutral in color, and when ketones are present they change through shades of pale pink to deep purple. The darker the color the more ketones, but even the lighter ends of the scale are positive confirmation that you are in ketosis and your body is burning fat. I'm burnin FAT!!!! :happy: We are burnin FAT!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • jparker12379
    Options
    Ths morning I was nagative again.... what could hae taken me out of Ketosis ? So frustrating the scale was also up .8 lbs
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Ths morning I was nagative again.... what could hae taken me out of Ketosis ? So frustrating the scale was also up .8 lbs

Hi J,

I took a peek at your diary just now. I wonder if taking out the Splenda might help. I've given up all artificial sweeteners. There's conflicting information out there about sweeteners, some say they trigger an insulin response simply because the body tastes something sweet. Others say there's no correlation. I decided back in January I'd give up the sweeteners and diet sodas, just in case.

Another thing you might try is real butter instead of margarine. They're both entirely fat, but if you can find butter from grass fed cows, you get the goodies in it like CLA and Omega 3's...grass fed dairy and beef products help our bodies burn fat and build muscle.

Also, with the chicken, I'd go with the skin on. Getting fat on this diet is actually good. I LOVE THAT!

Keep logging and don't give up, we're just in the preliminary time before this challenge...and we're all learning what works and what doesn't.

Be sure to drink LOTS of water too. Ketosis breath can be avoided by not getting dehydrated. I'm saying this out loud for me!
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I've changed my macros (60% Fat, 10% Carbs, 30% protein)

Thanks for sharing!
  • Firesign
    Options
    I read that you need to do the strips in the evening .......... not first thing in the morning after not eating for several hours.....and at the same time everyday.
  • ethelapple
    ethelapple Posts: 79
    Options
    Where can I find Ketostix?
    I'm going to aim for staying under 30 grams of carbs and see if that gets me into ketosis.
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Where can I find Ketostix?
    I'm going to aim for staying under 30 grams of carbs and see if that gets me into ketosis.

Most all pharmacies carry them. You can usually find them over in the Diabetes section. The Ketostix are a little cheaper than the KetoDiaStix

I hope you have (and all of us) success with this!
  • Firesign
    Options
    May 1st /Day 1 my strip is moderate:smile: