NROLFW -Question about equipment to use

Options
nixirain
nixirain Posts: 448 Member
I have read the book and I am ready to start the program today, but after reading a few things on here I have a few concerns about the equipment at the gym I go to and I want to make sure I am getting the most out of the program. I am a novice lifter and just want to make sure I am doing this right. I go to Planet Fitness as my Gym, but I am willing to move on to another gym if they will have a better platform for lifting

1. I read on here from a few people that the Smith Machine will not work for the barbell exercises like the squats. Is this true? My Planet fitness only has the Smith Machine, no free standing rack with bar and weights.

2. Step ups: I don't remember seeing any kind of steps to use for this exercise. Is there something else I can use?

Thanks for the help guys! I am super excited about starting and if I have to get a few free week passes at gyms until I find the right one I will!

-Mandy

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Here's an article on why the Smith Machine is bad for squats: http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

One of the main reasons, as I understand it, is that it doesn't allow for a natural range of motion (it only allows straight up & down motion), and by balancing the bar to be perfectly horizontal for you, you're not working the small muscles you'd use to balance the free bar yourself.

For step-ups, I just discovered today that my gym has a machine for this, which is just a sturdy, adjustable step. Before I saw this, I'd been using an aerobic step with 2-4 risers on each side.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Ack! Ok, that makes sense. I am thinking I should either find another exercise to do instead or find another gym to go to that has the proper equipment.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Oh, thanks for the info! I didn't even know what the machine was called until I saw someone posting that it was no good and then googled it. lol. I mean I know the basic equipment since I took weight lifting class in HS, but that was 12 years ago!!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have to use the smiths machine the barbell is so painful on the back of my neck even with the pu$$y pads. Hubby is going to come with me next time and see if he can help me figure out if Im holding the bar wrong or what.

I use a bench for the step ups when I cant find the aerobics steps.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    At the Planet Fitness in my town there is a "30-Minute Circuit Express" room. If your gym has this, they probably are using steps for the cardio part of the circuit. If so, just take the dumbbells into that room with you and do them in there.

As far as the Smith Machine goes, its fine for me because I'm not body building, so I'm unconcerned with the small muscles used for balance. I'm doing squats to work the larger muscle groups. If you want to work on balance, try yoga in between your workouts... its one of the things Alywn recommends. Swimming is another exercise that uses the small muscles in your shoulders/chest/back. I'm not saying the Smith machine is ideal, but if that's what you have available, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I been doing the barbell for my squats and my neck/shoulder area ache. I just used the smith machine for the first time yesterday and was able to go deeper in my squats, but hey, who is to tell, I just may be doing something wrong, I do not know, although it felt better.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Thanks guys! I talked to one of my friends that is a health and exercise nut and he recommended that I just use dumb bells on my shoulders and do the squats and it worked just fine! I forgot about the steps in the circuit room until I got there. It was perfect! This is the first day I actually feel sore after lifting in a long time. Good sore of course!

I didn't realize it was going to be so much fun!!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Am I getting it wrong or are the squats in Stage 1, Workout A just regular squats and not the "barbell squats" which come in a later Stage?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Am I getting it wrong or are the squats in Stage 1, Workout A just regular squats and not the "barbell squats" which come in a later Stage?
    Regular squats = barbell squats. See page 158. If you're unable to do squats even with an empty barbell (Olympic bar weighs 45 lbs.) then you might have to start by holding dumbbells in each hand at your sides or resting on your shoulders.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    See, that's where I was getting confused....the plan for Workout A says "Squat (page 157)", which is just a plain old squat.

"Barbell Squats" are on page 158 but are not part of Workout A, I found them on a later stage (don't have the book here at work with me to confirm what stage but maybe Stage 2).

I found it hard to believe that such a squat was called for in Stage 1.
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    See, that's where I was getting confused....the plan for Workout A says "Squat (page 157)", which is just a plain old squat.

"Barbell Squats" are on page 158 but are not part of Workout A, I found them on a later stage (don't have the book here at work with me to confirm what stage but maybe Stage 2).

I found it hard to believe that such a squat was called for in Stage 1.

I took the "squat" to mean the barbell squat as well. Page 157 just tells you what a squat is, what muscles it works etc. Obviously if you don't have a barbell, dumbbells will do, but no matter what you want to do it with as much weight as you can and increase that weight as you move through stage 1.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I have to use the smiths machine the barbell is so painful on the back of my neck even with the pu$$y pads. Hubby is going to come with me next time and see if he can help me figure out if Im holding the bar wrong or what.

Hold the bar an inch lower. It should be resting on the shoulders, not the neck. Avoid the smith machine if you can.

http://befitandstrong.com/why-the-smith-machine-may-be-the-worst-piece-of-exercise-equipment-you-can-use/
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/avoid_lifting_injuries/The_Smith_Machine.php
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My gym also only has a Smith machine to use - I'm not opposed to using dumbbells instead tho. Can someone post a photo or link about how to set them on your shoulders? I'm a little confused about that one...
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Regular squats = barbell squats. See page 158. If you're unable to do squats even with an empty barbell (Olympic bar weighs 45 lbs.) then you might have to start by holding dumbbells in each hand at your sides or resting on your shoulders.

Last night I did my first workout A Stage 1 week 1. I tried the 40 pld barbell for the squats and it was too light... Tried to lift up the 50 pld barbell to my shoulders but tooo heavy... Figured I would try using the "squat rack" with the olympic bar and 2 5 pld weights. Anyhow - some muscle bound dude monopolized the equipment for almost an hour! How rude. He even knew I was waiting. Any sugggestions for what I could or should do in this case? Needless to say. My squats were a little light last night. Tried using (2) 25 pld dumbbells but "ouch" they were not comfortable on my shoulders at all.
  • nixirain
    Options
    My gym also only has a Smith machine to use - I'm not opposed to using dumbbells instead tho. Can someone post a photo or link about how to set them on your shoulders? I'm a little confused about that one...

this is how i did them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PeqytTtq4