Scared to do negative chin ups since reading about rhabdo

Options
hello77kitty
hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
Link here, she was doing negative chin ups and got rhabdo
http://fitfeat.com/blog/2011/06/03/rhabdomyolysis-if-you-exercise-read-this/

I am not at that stage yet(still on stage 1), but reading this has kinda got me scared..

Replies

• jody75
    jody75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First off, standard disclaimer, not a medical professional just a prolific reader. Rhabdo is a serious issue and its important to be aware of. Most of the accounts I've read have been people banging out high numbers of negative chin ups or GHD situps. The only place negative chin ups are used in NROLFW is in stage 6 where you are supposed to do 3 sets of 1 rep as slowly as you can. I think its safe to say that you would be at low risk for rhabdo. Hope this helps!
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't think rhabdo needs to be high on your list of concerns. It's really not that common. Risk factors for rhabdomyolosis include dehydration, poor fitness, over exertion and dietary imbalances. Anyone following NROLW should have none of these, so unless you have some rare genetic problem (which you would probably have had symptoms of by now), you're unlikely to develop rhabdo. I know people aren't horses, but as an analogy, rhabdo in horses is common called "Monday morning disease" because it was common for horses to develop it on Monday morning. Why? Because their owners, who never bothered to exercise them regularly would go out on Sunday, ride them really hard and put them away on Sunday. Poor conditoning + overexertion = muscle breakdown.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I don't think rhabdo needs to be high on your list of concerns. It's really not that common. Risk factors for rhabdomyolosis include dehydration, poor fitness, over exertion and dietary imbalances. Anyone following NROLW should have none of these, so unless you have some rare genetic problem (which you would probably have had symptoms of by now), you're unlikely to develop rhabdo.
    I agree 100%. By the time I reached stage 6 my strength, diet, and fitness level were above average and I had no problem doing negative chin-ups for 60 seconds. After 2 workouts they were no longer challenging so I progressed to doing regular chin-ups.