I'm really struggling and need some help please

Options
pelleld
pelleld Posts: 363 Member
I've been REALLY struggling lately and don't know what to do, any advice from those who have been in maintenance for a while would be appreciated, but first a little background.....

I will be 49 y/o in July and am 5'3" tall. I started here in Feb of 2011 at 143, with a final goal of 125. I hit goal in late May 2011, slowly went up to maintenance calories, but lost another 10 pounds by Nov 2011, settling in at 115. I've fluctuated within 2 pounds of that since then. To lose the weight I followed MFP guidelines, added exercise to my life and ate most of my exercise calories back. I did an "everything in moderation" approach and gave up very few foods (only those where control was an issue for me). I was religious about logging. The exercise totally changed my body and I was thrilled about my new body. I had a complete physical in November so my doctor saw me at 115 and said it was a good weight for me but not to go any lower.

Lately I've been getting off track with my eating, not fully logging, and eating less quality foods. It is not being reflected on the scale as I am still within my 2 pound range. I am still going to the gym 5 days per week for an hour (1/2 cardio, 1/2 weight machines). But I don't like the way I feel, as if I am failing myself somehow. In the meantime, people in my life are encouraging me to gain weight, saying I am too thin now. I "pooh poohed" them until I was trying on dresses yesterday (to wear to my grandson's first communion in May). All the dresses just hung on me, even the XS ones. I couldn't find anything I like. I've been feeling great in my new size 2 levi jeans but in dresses yesterday I realized my curves are gone. I felt as depressed as when I was heavy when I left the store.

Do I need to gain weight? Do I need to change my exercise and will that get some of my curves back? Why can't I find a dress to flatter me? Is this why I am getting off track? How do I get back on track when I am growing conflicted about what is a healthy weight for me? Maybe I just need to buy new clothes! I am just so confused. I'm having more trouble with maintenance than I did losing the weight! I feel ridiculous complaining after having such success but I need to find a way to make this maintenance thing work for me...............

Replies

• mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    How do you feel in terms of your energy and health?
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way about my curves a bit, and then I realized I was criticizing the one thing that MIGHT be lesser now than it was before. I think it's just our nature to be critical.

I think you need to take a good look in the mirror and be proud of what you've achieved. If you truly thing you'd feel and look better with a few more lbs., go for it! You know how to get them back off if you need to.
  • struggling_to_maintain
    Options
    First off congrats on a job well done. You've accomplished what I'm trying to do. I turned 40 in February, I'm 5' 2" and I weighed 138 in January. I reached my goal of 125 in March and I'm wondering if I can actually get lower then that. I have HUGE hips so I'm not really worried about losing my "curves". I have got down to 117 in the past and I've been told the same thing you are getting told from friends and family. I looked too thin. The thing was I felt great! To actually be told I looked too thin was a blessing to me. But me being who I am, it didn't last. There is such a thing as being too thin. So I'm told anyways. :) If you are comfortable where you are and your doctor has said that it was an OK weight for you, then you should stay where you are. You mentioned feeling like a failure due to the foods you've been eating. Everyone goes off track once in a while and you are still maintaining so I wouldn't worry about it. I recently went on a 2 week vacation and threw out all diet knowledge. I gained back 5 pounds (lost 3 of them in the first week back) and I was OK with that. I knew it was going to happen and knew once I got back I would get back on track with exercise and diet. Maintenance is very hard to do. That is why I looked up this group today and joined. I was thrilled to see that there was a group for this on MFP. I need the help and encouragement to keep going. I like my smaller size clothes and I want to stay there.