Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How long does it take to make a difference?

debbylee22
debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
Hi everyone,
I really appreciate this board & being able to read what you all have been through.
I am new to Hypothyroidism, have known for less than a month that I have it.
I started on Synthroid about 10 days ago. Thought I "might" be getting better at first.
But have been having lots of the same symptoms with palpitations, A bit of dizziness,
and dry skin. Seems like the brain cells are working a bit better, but had someone
notice that I talk slower now. Ah!! I hoped no-one was noticing! I am still losing wt.
very slowly, but at least its going down.
Sure hope these symptoms go away soon. I'd sure love to know how long it takes.
I have to wait 4 weeks before the blood test to see if they need to raise the dose.

Replies

• hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 134 Member
    I know when I was first diagnosed, it took about three months before I felt any different and adjusted to the medication. However, I never really felt that great on Synthroid and eventually switched to a natural thyroid medication (Armour first, but now I'm on NatureThroid). Give it some time.
  • debbylee22
    Thanks. I'm hoping to get a different Dr. once I get my blood tested again. (I go to a clinic). Also considering a naturepath, But I don't want to change the way I eat, and especially don't want to give up my coffee. LOL... I'll just have to keep taking herbals to deal with the palpitations I guess.
    The cold I just got rid of just came back again too. Wah.
    Someone suggested kelp to me, but I see lots of advice against it.
    Thanks for your reply. :smile:
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Thanks. I'm hoping to get a different Dr. once I get my blood tested again. (I go to a clinic). Also considering a naturepath, But I don't want to change the way I eat, and especially don't want to give up my coffee. LOL... I'll just have to keep taking herbals to deal with the palpitations I guess.
    The cold I just got rid of just came back again too. Wah.
    Someone suggested kelp to me, but I see lots of advice against it.
    Thanks for your reply. :smile:

I would not use Kelp or anything with extra iodine in it until you are tested for iodine levels. Here's the excerpt from www.stopthethyroidmadness.com -- yep, almost any question you have about hypothyroidism is out there!!

Supplements
    On the opposite side of the coin of insufficient iodine is taking too much from iodine-containing herbs such as kelp, bladderwrack, or bugleweed can increase your risk for hypothyroidism. Many multivitamins, glandular support formulas and combination products contain these supplements.
  • debbylee22
    Thanks again. :drinker:
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    I struggled for a year and a half after having my thyroid removed to get my levels in the appropriate place for me. But once I did the results were almost immediate. Make sure you and your dr. are keeping an eye on your symptoms as well as your lab results. Good luck!
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    You could notice results within one month at the earliest but be aware, the first year on thyroid medication you may need your dose adjusted a few times.
  • debbylee22
    Thanks! :wink:
    I thought I felt better the first week, but now it seems almost the same. Good to know.

Yes, actually the day I went in for the results, I was having panic attacks. Told him my symptoms & he just says "hypothyroidism can give the strangest symptoms." (I couldn't believe he didn't even take my heart rate)! LOL