NROLFW vs P90X?

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
I've been doing P90X for a bit now and am just starting my 3rd phase. I don't mind it, but I won't say it's my favorite program in the world!! As I've been checking out the forum, I've been hearing so much about NROLFW that I'm wondering if I should get the book and switch things up a bit after I'm done my last phase of P90X instead of just starting it over again. (I don't do the diet part of P90X by the way...just the exercise program-I'm happy with my own diet here :smile: )

Does anyone know what differences there are in these two options? Or can you give me some more info on NROLFW that will help me decide whether or not to get it?

I'd like to keep strength training but not necessarily do P90X over and over and over. But I also don't want to buy a book that is just going to explain how weight lifting is important and gives me a few moves. What does NROLFW lay out for you? Does it give you programs of sorts to follow? Is it a rigid program? Flexible? Could I integrate it easily with a cardio program such as Insanity or something? I'd really just like to know more about it before I buy it (I'm kinda frugal...lol)

Replies

• NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the feedback you get! I just bought the book NROLFW on amazon.com and it was only $12 paperback. Started reading it last night!

11490831.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I would also like more info on NROLFW...is the strength training program something you can do at home, or do you need a lot of weights and equipment to follow it? How about P90X?

I don't belong to a gym because it's expensive and I like to be able to work out on my schedule (usually after I put my kids to bed around 8:15 or 8:30PM). I couldn't imagine getting in my car at that time of night to drive to the gym for a 30-45 minute workout!

I currently have in my arsenal a treadmill, elliptical, TV/DVD player (haha!), pair of 6lb dumbbells, an excercise ball, and a 5lb (I think) medicine ball...I'm thinking about investing in a kettlebell and some additional dumbbells in the near future...what would I need for either P90X or NROLFW??? :huh:
  • jyska
    Options

I don't belong to a gym because it's expensive and I like to be able to work out on my schedule (usually after I put my kids to bed around 8:15 or 8:30PM). I couldn't imagine getting in my car at that time of night to drive to the gym for a 30-45 minute workout!

good point...I didn't include that in my question. I also do no belong to a gym nor do I plan to. I am actually more inclined to work out if I don't have to drive somewhere first!! So working out at home is what I'd be doing too. I have free weights and am happy to buy more, but I do not own any benches or machines (except a treadmill). I'd like to keep the exercise 'furniture' to a minimum.
  • jyska
    Options
    Bump!

I would also like more info on NROLFW...is the strength training program something you can do at home, or do you need a lot of weights and equipment to follow it? How about P90X?

I currently have in my arsenal a treadmill, elliptical, TV/DVD player (haha!), pair of 6lb dumbbells, an excercise ball, and a 5lb (I think) medicine ball...I'm thinking about investing in a kettlebell and some additional dumbbells in the near future...what would I need for either P90X or NROLFW??? :huh:

Obviously I don't know about NROLFW, but for P90X you need a series of dumbells (if you are just starting lifting, 5lb, 8lb, 10lb and 15lb should get you started), a pull up bar (I got one I can put in a door frame for about $40 and it works great), and a yoga mat (not imperative but helps if you don't have a super soft surface or find yourself slipping). You can also opt to use bands instead of weights if you prefer. I prefer the weights.

That's about it! other than a dvd player and lots of water! :)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I started NROLFW last night so I am not an expert but I have seen that a few women do it at home. For the first work out I needed a barbell on a squat rack with weights dumbells (heavy) a step and a swiss ball (ab ball) Going through the book it seems doable at home with a few investments on weights, rack and bench pull up bar and a few odds and end here and there.. I do mine at the gym and I still have to make some adjustments.

I will say it was fun! I was quite surprised. lol
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    NROL4W is a full program--takes roughly 5-6 months to complete. You can modify the exercises to do it at home with dumbbells. I've been using a pair of 40lb adjustables (the old school kind with plates--nice because they can also work with a standard bar, which I use for deadlifts). I also have a Swiss ball and an aerobics step, but these aren't absolutely necessary.

Also, there's a lot of info posted in the NROL4W group at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 1 of NROLFW. it's a full program (7 stage) with every workout laid out for you. If you do it 3 times per week (max recommended), it would take about 6 months to complete (which includes required break days/weeks). In the book he talks about doing addn'l workouts on top of the ones outlined. He says to trust your body but to keep in mind that your body needs rest to heal and build muscle and if you keep working it day in and day out, you'll do more harm than good. He really recommends less intense exercise if you feel the need to do more than what he has outlined. In addition to weight lifting, he does interval training and body weight matrix workouts in the latter phases of the program.

I am doing it at home and have a bench, various dumbells (up to 45lbs), barbell and exercise ball. There are variations for most of the exercises for home modification.
  • jyska
    Options
    I am doing it at home and have a bench, various dumbells (up to 45lbs), barbell and exercise ball. There are variations for most of the exercises for home modification.

you say variations available for most: does that mean there would be some I'd just not be able to do without a certain machine? Will I be missing any muscle groups?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I'm starting stage 3 of 7 stages on Monday (finished stage 2 today). The book is definitely worth the $12.99 (I bought it on amazon). You strength train 3 days a week (you can do 2 but not less or no more than 3). You dont do much cardio if any at first but I did as it helps my mood. So I have to add more cals to my day. :) It gives you 7 stages (6 months) worth of excercises so its not just a few. The info in this book was aweesome too. Beleive me as I have read a ton in the last 20 years. I cant remember your other questions. If you have any specific questions just PM me and I can see if I can help although I am only finished w/ stage 2 so maybe go to the NROL4W group too.

OH and i do not go to a gym, I modify all this at home with dumbells and my husband has a barbell, bench, etc...
  • Kooopons
    Options

you say variations available for most: does that mean there would be some I'd just not be able to do without a certain machine? Will I be missing any muscle groups?

I think every exercise has a variation but some aren't as optimal as the recommended exercise. Mainly a lat pull down machine is ideal for working the lats and the substitutions given for that exercise are OK in that they still work your lats, but with different muscles in concert with them. With the substitution exercises you will employ your pectoral and triceps. Also, since they are on the bench, they will prevent some movement of the shoulder blades that you would get using a machine.

Lat machines aren't cheap. I've looked into making one- LOL- rather having my dh do it as I've seen several "how to's" online, but for now I'm doing the substitutions. The cable row exercises have adequate substitutions. That is really the only other "machine" used.

The other thing that would be very beneficial would be a chin up bar- you can get them pretty cheap or if you have rafters in a basement you can use pipe to just make a bar.
  • jyska
    Options

I think every exercise has a variation but some aren't as optimal as the recommended exercise. Mainly a lat pull down machine is ideal for working the lats and the substitutions given for that exercise are OK in that they still work your lats, but with different muscles in concert with them. With the substitution exercises you will employ your pectoral and triceps. Also, since they are on the bench, they will prevent some movement of the shoulder blades that you would get using a machine.

Lat machines aren't cheap. I've looked into making one- LOL- rather having my dh do it as I've seen several "how to's" online, but for now I'm doing the substitutions. The cable row exercises have adequate substitutions. That is really the only other "machine" used.

The other thing that would be very beneficial would be a chin up bar- you can get them pretty cheap or if you have rafters in a basement you can use pipe to just make a bar.

Thank you for the clarification. I do have a pull up bar so that is good! I definitely won't be buying a Lat machine in the near future so I guess I'd have to just adapt that one as much as possible. All the info is very helpful in helping me make some decisions here. :happy:
  • Kooopons
    Options
    Here is a list of equipment someone wrote up on the NROLFW board. I don't agree that you need a gym as she writes at the end. I think it's very possible to complete at home. This person notes about the substitutions being "flawed" as well, but I still think they are not going to ruin your experience. If anything perhaps they will fractionally decrease your benefits.

"No where in the book description, or in the book itself, does it list the equipment needed to perform the program. For those hoping to do this routine at home, here's a list:

* Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs.
    * Full set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Full set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding, you'll need one)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform with multiple risers (I use 16 total for the step-ups)
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar (used in Stage 6 which is optional)
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide limited alternatives if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

In other words, to complete the program as laid out in the book you need a gym membership. Otherwise you will not achieve all that you can, strength-wise and body composition (body fat%)."
  • jyska
    Options
    Here is a list of equipment someone wrote up on the NROLFW board. I don't agree that you need a gym as she writes at the end. I think it's very possible to complete at home. This person notes about the substitutions being "flawed" as well, but I still think they are not going to ruin your experience. If anything perhaps they will fractionally decrease your benefits.

"No where in the book description, or in the book itself, does it list the equipment needed to perform the program. For those hoping to do this routine at home, here's a list:

* Incline/Decline Bench
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide limited alternatives if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

In other words, to complete the program as laid out in the book you need a gym membership. Otherwise you will not achieve all that you can, strength-wise and body composition (body fat%)."

That was extremely helpful! and thank you for your own personal thoughts on it. I can probably get a few things to supplement what I do have, but the lat pull down bar and squat rack will have to wait. If I get to a point where I REALLY need those things to progress I guess i can consider my options then.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

* Incline/Decline Bench

Wow~ I just ordered this book from Amazon and am I GLAD that I DO have a gym membership!!
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've just started NROL4w and I'm not sure I'm pretty glad I've got a gym membership. Aching quite a bit today and back on it tomorrow :)
  • Kooopons
    Options
    Yeah, kind of seems like a lot, but overall financial investment isn't too bad, esp compared to a gym membership.

Incidentally I do have a gym membership at a super swanky place that has everything you could want and more..........BUT getting there is another story. With my kids and their schedules, it's so hard to fit it in. It's also about a 25 min drive. Right now we use it mostly for the pool, esp come summer. I also find I work out better at home. I put on my music and can go at my pace and when I need to do something, no one else is using it- LOL! One day I look forward to going there for more "me" time, until then my basement it is!
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Yeah, kind of seems like a lot, but overall financial investment isn't too bad, esp compared to a gym membership.

Incidentally I do have a gym membership at a super swanky place that has everything you could want and more..........BUT getting there is another story. With my kids and their schedules, it's so hard to fit it in. It's also about a 25 min drive. Right now we use it mostly for the pool, esp come summer. I also find I work out better at home. I put on my music and can go at my pace and when I need to do something, no one else is using it- LOL! One day I look forward to going there for more "me" time, until then my basement it is!
    [/quote]

Big fat "DITTO" on that one...I much prefer my basement to an overcrowded gym at this point! :blushing:
  • wowmom23
    wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you have a Gold's Gym near you, my membership with NO CONTRACT is $5/week. For me, this seems crazy cheap :). I have no excuse not to go but definitely wish I had the equipment at home when I cannot go during the day.

I haven't tried P90X but am finishing Stage 1 of NROLFW. It's pretty fun. Just an idea of Workout 1: Squats, rows, pushups, ab-work on yoga ball, step ups. That's it!

Elizabeth
  • jyska
    Options
    If you have a Gold's Gym near you, my membership with NO CONTRACT is $5/week. For me, this seems crazy cheap :). I have no excuse not to go but definitely wish I had the equipment at home when I cannot go during the day.

I haven't tried P90X but am finishing Stage 1 of NROLFW. It's pretty fun. Just an idea of Workout 1: Squats, rows, pushups, ab-work on yoga ball, step ups. That's it!

Elizabeth

Sounds like a breeze compared to an hour of pushups and pull ups like I did yesterday with P90X! Where do I sign up?? haha!!

Actually the gym membership wouldn't be so bad at $5/week, but with my schedule I find that if I have to drive somewhere to work out, I tend to work out less. :frown: the added 1/2 hr or hour it takes in drive/prep time just feels so inefficient and makes it harder to squeeze in a workout. Plus I'm a bit of an introvert...prefer not to have people around me when I work out or I tend to not work out as hard cause I feel so uncomfortable.

However, it sounds like a lot of it can be done at home up to a certain level. At that point when I get stalled in my progress because I don't have a squat rack or something I will have to make a decision one way or another what I want to do I guess. I've talked to my husband about it and he's promised to think about a bench and barbell at least for now. I have a lot of the other smaller equipment already. (although he's freaking out that I'm going to turn into some muscle bound crazy woman....not sure what's up there) sigh.
  • IrishPiratess
    Options
    I can't add much that hasn't already been said, but Im another NROL4W junkie.
    This is my second go-round with it.
    loving every second of it