Working out at home equipment

Options
AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
I know there's a post around here somewhere about this and I can't find it. I've just had a lovely woman send me an email inquiring about home equipment and I wanted to link her to the answer. Can someone show me or bump it so that I can send it to her? Also, do you think this is something else I should sticky? I'm worried about too many sticky threads.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Here's part of my review of the book on Amazon:

No where in the book description, or in the book itself, does it list the equipment needed to perform the program. For those hoping to do this routine at home, here's a list:

* Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs.
    * Full set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Full set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding, you'll need one)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform with multiple risers (I use 16 total for the step-ups)
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar (used in Stage 6 which is optional)
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide limited alternatives if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

In other words, to complete the program as laid out in the book you need a gym membership. Otherwise you will not achieve all that you can, strength-wise and body composition (body fat%).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You rock. That looks complete to me. I agree, you may be able to start the program without a membership but either an extensive home gym or a gym membership is required to complete the program properly.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hey this is a great list! Thanks so much. I want to get a little more savvy with the lifting before I go into the weights area of my gym. I know, I have as much "right" to be there as anyone else, but when I am able to be there the place is very crowded and I'm self-consious. :ohwell: Since we have most of what's on this list here at home, I am going to start there!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a great list! Just a few comments to add:

I don't think it has to be an Olympic bar does it? I bought a cheap one that's smaller and I've been managing OK just by adding weights to it. And I'm hoping to do pull-ups using the bar on the squat rack - in fact, I bought two squat stands (instead of a squat rack) which have been fine - much cheaper and easier to tidy away than a squat rack. and there's no way I can get a pulley station into my spare room, so I just manage as best I can using other things.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i work out at home and i use bodylastics resistance bands instead of a cable pulley worked ok for the first stage workouts not sure if it will keep me going all the way through though. my set does give 350lb of resistance so i have a way to go :)
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hey this is a great list! Thanks so much. I want to get a little more savvy with the lifting before I go into the weights area of my gym. I know, I have as much "right" to be there as anyone else, but when I am able to be there the place is very crowded and I'm self-consious. :ohwell: Since we have most of what's on this list here at home, I am going to start there!

My thoughts exactly. I want to feel like I know what I am doing when I walk into the weight area. I will feel intimidated as it is. So I am starting at home and have most of all the equipment. Thanks for making the list!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I have everything but the cables. I am using the alternatives or looking online for alternatives.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I workout at home and to start, I use my nesting dumbbells. They go up to 45lbs each. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I get beyond that.