Scared to take that first step!

Options
Is anyone else in the same boat as me! I'm just petrified to eat more! I think it has been drilled into us that you have to eat less in order to lose weight!

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hey Michelle,

I think that almost everyone is scared/excited to take that first step. It's exciting, yet feels "too good to be true", lol. You are right, the mental transition is the absolute hardest part. But once you get it down....FREEDOM. :bigsmile:

Take your time, read as much as you can. This forum is FULL of posts just like this one, as well as all those "aha" moments when people finally take the plunge or finally can say "it works!" Just getting your life back and finally being in charge are priceless ;)

So go at your own pace, you'll know when you're ready. But until then, get a good look at all the stickied posts, and then browse around through some of the others, as well, to get a good grip on where you stand mentally.

EM2WL ain't goin nowhere, we'll all be here to cheer you on when you take that leap :flowerforyou:

Kiki
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Been on this for a week now; I feel better, have more energy though I haven't lose anything yet. But I do feel better in my jeans and I can see that belly is a bit tighter !

Try it, but don't expect fast results and immediat loss: takes time for your body to adapt. It's been starving for a while...

And yeah, I understand how you feel. I tried to explain my new way of eating to my boyfriend and he had that weird look on his face ! I want to stick to it to prove people they are mostly wrong about my situation.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very scary. And you have to be ready to ride it out and be patient! Well, maybe it will work more quickly for you - you look pretty young.

I'm older and have been on way too many lowcal diets (even did medifast for 6 months a few years back...800-1000 calories while exercising. Sheesh...I could smack my former self) I've been gradually eating more for almost a month and my weight is up 2 lbs (but actually the day-to-day fluctuations are more disturbing, I try my best not to weigh - or to at least not worry about it).

I'm currently at 1800 calories, which is my 15% cut off tdee. I'm considering trying a week or 2 at maintenance. I will say that my mood is good and I feel so much better eating. I'm trying not to be frustrated. At least I'm not starving :)
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far guys! It's great to no that there are other people the same as me out there! After reading through some of the posts in this group, I have taken the leap and upped my cals! Yippee! 1658cals, which is 15% of my TDEE! I'm excited to see some results. Did it take long before the weight moved?
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie at this, but figured I would share my story since I'm not too far ahead of you. I did 6 months at a weight loss clinic (hence the 73 pounds lost) and ruined my metabolism eating 1,200 a day and burning 800-1,000 calories at Zumba. I knew my metabolism was horrible because I was hungry all the time and was diagnosed with a severe vitamin d and magnesium deficiency. So I increased my calories to 1,500 and hung out there for about 6 weeks with a 4-5 pound gain. Then I found this group and increased even more. After another week I lost those 4-5 pounds I had gained and I'm back where I was at my lowest weight. So I can't add how successful I've been yet but I can tell you that you may gain a little but eventually it will come back off.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far guys! It's great to no that there are other people the same as me out there! After reading through some of the posts in this group, I have taken the leap and upped my caps! Yippee! 1658cals, which is 15% of my TDEE! I'm excited to see some results. Did it take long before the weight moved?

My weight moved alright- the wrong way :D Went up ten pounds in the first week- FREAKED OUT! Lemmie tell ya, my poor Hubby. lol

Next week I was down those ten pounds PLUS another one :)

Lesson being- the scale lies so don't freak out like I did lol

If you haven't read What To Expect When Upping Cals- then give it a good long read. It has helped me keep my sanity
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    And yeah, I understand how you feel. I tried to explain my new way of eating to my boyfriend and he had that weird look on his face ! I want to stick to it to prove people they are mostly wrong about my situation.

LOL that's pretty much the same way I feel! I want to be able to say "See! I TOLD you!" to all those that look at me with such pity. :grumble: once that's outta the way, I really want to be that example for other women that I care about that I keep seeing doing it the low cal way and being frustrated. I just don't feel I can say anything yet until I can PROVE it personally.
  • Michelle650
    Options
    Exactly! I wanna prove everyone wrong too!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

LOL that's pretty much the same way I feel! I want to be able to say "See! I TOLD you!" to all those that look at me with such pity. :grumble: once that's outta the way, I really want to be that example for other women that I care about that I keep seeing doing it the low cal way and being frustrated. I just don't feel I can say anything yet until I can PROVE it personally.

Ditto!!! I have a friend I'm doing this with right now and shes freaking so she lowered her cals. Once this works for me and I can be more confident in it I will try harder with her.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm in my first week too and have vowed NOT to get on a scale for at least 6 weeks!

After over 40 years of living and dying by the scale, now that I'm in my 50s, I am going to cut the cord with that d#$m thing!!

So far, I feel GREAT. My clothes are the same, maybe a bit looser. I am doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution 90 Day series for 30 minutes each day along with a 1 hour class at the gym nearly every day.

Most of my "additional foods" have been in the protein category (although today I had this craving for soft pretzels, oy......) and I bought my first protein drink: Jillian Michaels 100 calorie Whey Protein (note that I STILL went for the "100 calorie" product!).

My TDEE minus 15% is 2006 but so far I've set my Calorie Goal at 1800.

I am NEVER hungry and am trying to follow the 3 hour rule as well as an after workout snack.

My BEST advice: STAY OFF THE SCALE!!! Don't do it, just don't........
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Im VERY scared! What a rollercoaster this has been. I started at 1200 calories and lost 20 lbs, not doing more than walking. Then I plateued for a month or so. Now I am running 2 miles 5days wk & strength training 3-5 days wk and increased my calories to 1400. I am 170 lbs & want to lose at least 40 more lbs. It seems that everyone who does the increase is close to their goal weight already.

So Im skeptical & need to see Success stories beginning from a high weight on the eat more weigh less approach.

My BMR  1534 & TDEE  2378
    15-20%=  2141 - 1900

Im so scared to increase to 1900!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

This. I had a huge jump to my cut.. about 1000 calories more a day and when I was explaining it to some GF's, they would give me this horrible look like I was an idiot.. not to mention one "friend" who told me the reason I couldn't lose weight wasn't because I wasnt eating enough, it was because I was eating too much fruit and I was delusional about making changes in my diet... *rolls eyes*
    I would love nothing more than to give them all a big F- you at the end of this..:)
  • Michelle650
    Options
    All of your comments just prove how society is led to believe that you HAVE TO eat less to lose weight! I think that's why sooo many people are petrified to up their cals, including me!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about a year now. Back in August/September, I quit, because I felt like I was starving to death all the time. So when I started back in Feb, I had mfp set my cals and everything for me. I was eating 1500 to 1700 cal a day. One day I got to work, and I felt like I was going to pass out. I have celiacs disease, and it causes me to be hypoglycemic. I thought my sugar was dropping. Nope, sugar was in the 100's. So I had my coworker check my vital signs. Everything was normal. But I was visibly shaking, my head was spinning, and I thought I was going to die. I had a friend bring me some food, and when I ate it, about 10 minutes later, I felt perfectly fine. I put 2 and 2 together and figured out, I wasn't eating enough. This was in March.

I found this group, by a fluke. So I started reading the threads, and it all started to make sense. So I did the math, and told myself, this can't be right. There is no way I am going to lose weight eating 2000 calories a day. This is crazy. I've lost 5 pounds, and I have dropped from a size 22 to a size 18. So, yes it does work, and I feel so much better, and I am never, ever hungry.

We are here for you when you are ready to take the leap. We promise to catch you. Stay focused on your goals, and you will meet them.
  • peachNpunkin
    Options

This. I had a huge jump to my cut.. about 1000 calories more a day and when I was explaining it to some GF's, they would give me this horrible look like I was an idiot.. not to mention one "friend" who told me the reason I couldn't lose weight wasn't because I wasnt eating enough, it was because I was eating too much fruit and I was delusional about making changes in my diet... *rolls eyes*
    I would love nothing more than to give them all a big F- you at the end of this..:)

Wow, with friends like that, who needs enemies. I'm sorry she treated you like that. Soon you will be able to tell her where she can stick her low calorie diet. Right in the trash can with all your big girl clothes. LOL!!! :drinker:
  • peachNpunkin
    Options
    Im VERY scared! What a rollercoaster this has been. I started at 1200 calories and lost 20 lbs, not doing more than walking. Then I plateued for a month or so. Now I am running 2 miles 5days wk & strength training 3-5 days wk and increased my calories to 1400. I am 170 lbs & want to lose at least 40 more lbs. It seems that everyone who does the increase is close to their goal weight already.

So Im skeptical & need to see Success stories beginning from a high weight on the eat more weigh less approach.

15-20%=  2141 - 1900

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as well. I have just upped my calories and I am so scared I'm going to start gaining and then give up. I really want this to work because starving sucks!
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

15-20%=  2141 - 1900

Ok! So I increased to 1900 today. Now, this is going to include my exercise calories too, right?? TDEE is already factoring in my exercise, and I want to lose weight. So Im starting on the low end (TDEE minus 20%). Looking back on my diary, Ive been eating a total close to this already! Lol! So here goes nothing!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    @Burlesque12- Yes that number includes exercise as long as you gave yourself the correct activity level. So many people underestimate their activity level. Give it 3-4 weeks and if you don't notice any change go up another 100 calories because that means you still aren't eating enough.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

15-20%=  2141 - 1900

Ok! So I increased to 1900 today. Now, this is going to include my exercise calories too, right?? TDEE is already factoring in my exercise, and I want to lose weight. So Im starting on the low end (TDEE minus 20%). Looking back on my diary, Ive been eating a total close to this already! Lol! So here goes nothing!

Oh no, here goes fat loss, here goes inches gone, here goes energy and strength! You can do this!!!