So confused..

Options
Danielle_2013
Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
Unlike many of the amazingly ripped heavy weight lifting women in this group, I am at the opposite end of the scale!
(But I want to be you :wink: )

My challenge is this:

Started Nov 11 on low carb /very clean diet that WORKED for about 4.5 months and I lost 55-60 pounds. Starting weight was high - 330. I walked, but really didn't exercise much.
As weight loss slowed, my eating got better and I started exercising more (longer walks, a bit of jogging and just started 30ds). No weight loss at all for about the past month. But I did join MFP about 2 weeks ago!

I think the low carb diet that was working was somewhere around 1500-1700 calories a day, and yet my BMR is just over 1900.
As I'm still at 271, I really thought I could take the diet and low exercise thing for another 50 pounds or so, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I think this is where the eating more (and adding weights) part comes in. But I am totally freaked out to do so. Other people say to just eat the same as before and exercise more - but I find if I cut it down any more I will get very hungry and want to eat something terrible.

Advice? I want to try this, but also have to fit into a dress for a wedding in July that I know is too small for me. Not sure I trust my body to figure it out and start losing again before then. Could someone help me run the numbers and provide a little advice?
I get where this could work for those that don't have a lot to lose - but does it also apply to those that are bigger?

My stats:
5"8
271 lbs
wheat/gluten sensitivity
large frame - put on muscle very quickly
Goal weight is 170 (for now-but probably realistic)

Thank you thank you in advance - and wow this group is inspiring!

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Depending on your exercise levels, you'd need to be eating around 2329 (light exercise ~1-3 hours/wk) or 2626 (moderate exercise 3-5 hours/wk) based on your stats. :noway:

You can pick yourself up off the floor now....

Eating your TDEE -15% works for *anyone* whether they have much or little to lose, and it's actually even better for those who have more to lose, because as you see, when you have to keep dropping your cals at plateaus, eventually you can't go down much further. So this is def not just for "ripped chicks" lol.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. The way that you were eating before that "worked" is actually something that should only be applied at the END of your weight loss journey, for the very reason that you've discovered, it's temporary. The low carb/carb cycling is often one of those last "tricks" that people pull out when battling the last 5 lbs, or trying to lose a quick few lbs for an event (even though they may very well gain it right back).

Key thing to remember along your journey: Everything "works" in the short term, but will it work forever?

With low carb diets, that is a big "no." So I'd highly recommend working some good carbs back into your diet again, which you will NEED if you plan on adding weights, which I also highly recommend. Weights will reshape you like you would not believe, and will sculpt you to fit into that dress just right :wink:

Please be sure to read all of the sticky posts, if you haven't already. Knowledge is power, and preparation, along w/consistency will be your greatest weapons.

Remember this is not a fad diet or a quick fix, but a lifetime endeavor. Not to say that you will not start to see results, but just to say that you should not start doing anything to lose the weight that you don't plan on keeping up for the rest.of.your.life.

There is no reason to deprive yourself any more of good fuel for your muscles, and good healthy carbs.

So, welcome to the group! Someone is always around to answer questions eventually, so feel free to ask as they arrive. (although you'll likely find that almost any question you can think of has been answered here at some point, lol) :flowerforyou:

Kiki
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Kiki - THANK YOU. Sincerely.
    I start scrolling and reading posts and it tends to get a bit fuzzy or I wonder if it applies to me and if I can actually do this! (?)
    I so appreciate you taking the time to be encouraging and give me a summary of everything that has been said bit by bit in 5472308 posts before. :laugh:

Am going to go change my calorie goals now..
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    a summary of everything that has been said bit by bit in 5472308 posts before. :laugh:

yep, that number looks about right :tongue: