lol..set me straight please!

Options
i keep overthinking this. Okay my profile is public so you can view what I found my TDEE to be. I am going to gradually increase it by 100 each week until I get where I need to be and my body adjusts. The one thing that keeps getting me is when I change my cal goal on mfp is the excercise cals. TDEE factors this in so since I have my goal at 1668 do I not add excercise on MFP and just keep a total in my head of what I burned per HRM? Because like today I've burned 532 so far and I will still be active later (I have a fitbit). I added this to MFP so of course my net is down low. Do I just not enter excercise? If so I'll go nuts because thats one thign I liked on here is seeing that number...lol. What do you do?

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I enter my exercise, I just don't dip into the cals it gives me back for them. I log from my iPhone, so it's easy to compare my "goal" and "food" (which is what I actually ate) since they're right next to each other. As long as those two match, I try not to pay attention to the "remaining" cals
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I enter my exercise, I just don't dip into the cals it gives me back for them. I log from my iPhone, so it's easy to compare my "goal" and "food" (which is what I actually ate) since they're right next to each other. As long as those two match, I try not to pay attention to the "remaining" cals

Ok, so you're just really looking at the total food intake then and ignoring the minus number and net that are on the home page?
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hmm. this still confuse me. I thought we look at the net and if the net is below BMR you eat back calories to get to your BMR. I am sorry for being so slow on this. lol
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Here's what I did to keep it simple.

Ignore all of MPF fitness settings and use the custom settings to set how many calories you want to eat. (click on Goals - Change Goals - Custom - Continue - change calories & macros here - click on Change Goals at the bottom to save)

This is what my home screen looks like w/out exercise:
    Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 0
    = Net 2066

After I exercise this afternoon this is what it will look like:

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 300
    = Net 1766

As long as my NET calories stays above my BMR I don't have to worry about anything.

Make sense?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you're on the computer, then when in your diary just look at the top number, or "total"

ignore the "daily goal"

your "remaining" should pretty much be equal to or close to the "you've earned x calories from exercise"

it's so much harder to explain for me because the phone app makes it so easy for me to see exactly what my "net" is, whereas it seems like you'd have to do some math to find that out on the actual site, hopefully someone who logs from the computer can explain it better?

Kiki
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Ignore all of MPF fitness settings and use the custom settings to set how many calories you want to eat. (click on Goals - Change Goals - Custom - Continue - change calories & macros here - click on Change Goals at the bottom to save)

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 0
    = Net 2066

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 300
    = Net 1766

As long as my NET calories stays above my BMR I don't have to worry about anything.

Make sense?

This is what I do. On days that I workout I keep an eye on my net calories and make sure they're above my BMR, but in my food diary I don't eat the extra calories that MFP gives me.
  • witrixie2011
    Options

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 0
    = Net 2066

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 300
    = Net 1766

Make sense?

This is what I do. On days that I workout I keep an eye on my net calories and make sure they're above my BMR, but in my food diary I don't eat the extra calories that MFP gives me.

Exactly!! If you go under your BMR, than eat a little more.

I'm definitely happy to see someone else does it the same way. Always had that little "OMG.. am I doing it right?!?" worry in the back of my mind. :blushing:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 0
    = Net 2066

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 300
    = Net 1766

Make sense?

Exactly!! If you go under your BMR, than eat a little more.

I'm definitely happy to see someone else does it the same way. Always had that little "OMG.. am I doing it right?!?" worry in the back of my mind. :blushing:

Yup, my votes on this one too...it's exactly what I do! Doing it this way also helps you determine if your TDEE cut number is too low. if you always net under BMR, then it's a good sign you need to up your cals. (at least that's what I've understood.:smile: )
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 0
    = Net 2066

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 300
    = Net 1766

Make sense?

okay so thats exactly what I've been doing :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 0
    = Net 2066

Goal 2074
    Food 2066
    Exercise 300
    = Net 1766

Make sense?

\Got it! Cool you guys i've been doing it right...yay!!!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Got it! Cool you guys i've been doing it right...yay!!!

:drinker: