Intro and some help please

Options
Shellza
Shellza Posts: 38 Member
Hi All,

I have just purchased the book and have nearly finished it, so glad I have found this group!
I am going to start properly next week although I am mot new to lifting, Have been lifting in the gym for about 2 months but not heavy as yet.
a bit about me.... I am 5"3 and currently weigh 245lbs. have been doing quite well up until about 3 months ago when my cardio routine seemed to stop working and I haven't lost any weight in that time. I have quite a bit to lose still so thought I would change things up a bit and look into lifting.
I lift quite a lot as I work in a goods in and am constantly lifting quite a bit of weight.

My main thing that I want to get peoples views on is how other people have reacted when you told them you're lifting, I have been met with quite a lot of scepticism and "are you sure you can handle that" and "why, are looking at going into bodybuilding?"
I am quite shy and going into a gym and lifting weights with a load of men is quite a daunting prospect, all the sceptics are not helping matters. How have you overcome shyness etc I have found music helps a bit but just feel so self conscious.
all help greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Just do your thing.
    If someone asks a dumb question you can either 1) Be nice and assure them you know what you're doing or 2) Make the ugliest face possible and maintain it until they walk away Ala Jenna Marbles.

I think in the gym you'll receive less skepticism than you do by coworkers or family members. Most coworkers and family members only go to the gym after the New Year, whereas gym rats can appreciate someone working on their body the right way. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    honestly, i'm an adult. i really dont care what other people's views are on what i do with my body. my suggestion is to put on big girl panties and not give too much importance to other people's opinions or expectations about your life, your decisions, your body, your whatever.

but funny enough, i also dont get stupid questions like that. i think most people somehow sense that a condescending question is going to result in an extra snarky answer. i'd be partial to something like "well as long as we're giving each unsolicited opinions......" and take it from there :laugh:

oh and odds are the guys will not even pay attention to you past anything more than a cursory glance like "hey there's something you dont see often" or if you look like you dont know what you're doing they might look over to make sure you dont need a spot. but for the most part they arent paying attention to you unless you're half naked, or doing something they rarely see in a gym like front squat push presses or 1 arm DB snatches. I do tend to get lots of attention when I do those, mainly because the exercises are pretty sweet looking.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    In an average gym I think most of the guys are busy enough looking at themselves in the mirror and making sure to suck in their gut. I have never ever been bothered at the gym-- not even a military gym on-base-- and I've been lifting weights on and off for 10 years. Act like you belong there and you'll fit right in. :)

If you're not in the mood to defend your choice to lift weights, then maybe just don't bring it up? Unless someone is complementing you and asking what you did to get those nice biceps. "I pick up heavy things" is my favorite response.
  • Shellza
    Options
    Thanks everyone, feeling very psoitive about it all now.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I don't bother telling friends and co-workers that I'm lifting weights because the negative comments and disgusted looks made me want to punch more than one person for their stupidity. I'm a northeasterner transplanted to the south where most women my age are "soft" and everyone seems to think that if you lift a 5lb weight, you will turn into an extreme bodybuilder as seen on tv.

As for the gym, other than a brief nod of recognition, since they've been seeing me in and out for a while, no one bothers me. They do, however, tend to give DH a few looks because he's doing NROLW right along with me, and you don't see men using steps very often. (DH doesnt go near the swiss ball, though!)

Just put on your headphones, do your thang, and in a few months people will be gaga to know how you're slimming :smokin:
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've gotten mixed results from people i've told. Some of them think it's stupid and that only boys and body builders should do it, some think they know everything about it and try to tell me that i need to do lots of reps with low weights, and some people think it's awesome. My boyfriend goes with me sometimes just to make sure i don't fall over (literally, i'm the most clumsy person on earth).

I found that going to the gym a little later, around 8:00, means that there will be hardly anyone around in the weight room. The ones that are in there have their headphones on and don't even pay attention to me while i'm there. Eventually, once i get the hang of it, i might try to go earlier, but as of now doing it this way i don't get nervous and i can just do my own thing without being stared at
  • tinkerbell42381
    tinkerbell42381 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but when I'm in the gym deadlifting an olympic barbell and someone walks in a gives me a surprised/awed/confused/impressed/(insert adjective here) look, I feel quite pleased with myself. There's a sense of satisfaction knowing that I can do what a lot of other gym-goes don't even try to do, and even if I don't do things perfectly, I'm proud of myself for trying :)
  • Shellza
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I went to my trainer yesterday with the book and left it with him and asked him to help me with the weights and show me what I sould be doing so I dont hurt myself and he was more than happy to, it just goes to show how people in the know react compared to everyone else! My gym is at work so I know quite a few of the people who use it and some of them are serious lifters and they were giving me advice too so I am much more relaxed about things now :)