First day, but a bit concerned?

Options
DrG3n3
DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
So I did my first day today :) I did a 5 min warmup walk on the treadmill and then expected to bust butt.

Well on the squat I did the bar for the first set and then added 10 for the second, so 45 and then 55. I def. feel like next time I can added more but my biggest concern was if I was doing the squats right. I'll have to google a video to check maybe. What weights did any of you guys start off with? I'm 181 lbs if that helps. I've done dumbbell overhead sqauts with 10 lbs in each hand before.

Push ups are HARD when you do them right. I had to do an incline off a bench, so it was about 20 inches off the ground and a low incline, maybe 30%. It was really hard to make sure that I kept my arms close and let my chest get down to the seat.

The seated rows were interesting. The gym has a diverging seated row machine. Will this work? I'm trying to google for info but having a hard time checking out if they are the same.

The step ups and jackknifes I messed up :P Forgot to switch to the other leg with the step ups but then I got it right. I did 20 lbs in each hand on the step-ups. Do I count that as 40lbs? The step was about 20 inches off the ground, what height did every one else start with?

Also with the jackknifes, did anyone find it really hard to do the 8? I know we work up to do more, but 8 seemed really challenging (not to mention its easy to fall off those things)

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just second guessing if I am doing this right.

Replies

• CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Hey I think I'm doing the same weights as you for squats (22lbs altogether - i think that's 10kg)

Why did you do an incline for push-ups? Does it make it easier? I find them impossible to do right and am weaning trying to avoid using wall pushups. (I'm only doing them to replace the pushups i couldn't do on the floor now)

I do a bent over row with the barbell since i don't have a rower at home.

I count my dumbells as an overall weight - not just weight per hand. I suppose its just personal preference? Eh... i used my stairs which was WAY too narrow for my dumbells - must invest in a proper step!

Jacknifes, i found impossible!! I lasted under a second before falling off the ball on each rep. Watched a tutorial video on how to do them and had to laugh at how pathetic i was compared to it!

Only on my second rest day so others might be able to help you more!
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    I did the push ups with my feet on the ground and hands on a bench because I can't do them with proper form on the floor. This is a low incline so its harder than on a wall or a counter, but doing them on the ground with proper form isn't within my means JUST yet but it will be soon!

I think I'll try to add a BIT more weight on the squats next time and REALLY make sure my form is proper.

I may also try the bent over row or something because this machine is new to me and I'm not sure it works the same.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with those jackknife problems.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The step ups and jackknifes I messed up :P Forgot to switch to the other leg with the step ups but then I got it right. I did 20 lbs in each hand on the step-ups. Do I count that as 40lbs? The step was about 20 inches off the ground, what height did every one else start with?

You count the total weight, so yes, 40lbs. I would record it as 2*20 in my journal coz that's just how I think.

I started on the 2nd step on my back porch :D About 20" is my guess as well.
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day and here is what i did:

20 minutes on the treadmill, 3 mph with an incline

squats - I did mine with dumbbells because there was someone else using the bar area. I wasn't sure how much to use, so i just grabbed the ones that were 12.5 lbs in each hand. I probably could have done more, but i haven't worked out in ages.

Push Ups - I did the girl version, I am not ready at all to do regular ones yet, but i actually got through all of them this way, which was a first

Seated Row - I used 45 lbs

Step ups - 20 inch box, 20 lbs in each hand

Prone Jackknife - I did the first set of 15, but it took me 3 tries to do them, and the second set i could only do about 7 because i was getting tired from all the other work. Those things are super hard for me because my balance is terrible. I'm super clumsy anyway, so those were really hard for me.

thats basically what i did though.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Sounds pretty close to what I did, except I did 50lbs on the row and then 45lbs. 50 was too heavy but I couldn't reach to change the weight :p

I think, though, that the book says on your first 2 sets of jackknifes you are supposed to do 8?

And I guess doing 45lbs and then 55lbs for the squats wasn't too outrageous. I think I'll try to do 65 next time though.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty close to what I did, except I did 50lbs on the row and then 45lbs. 50 was too heavy but I couldn't reach to change the weight :p

I think, though, that the book says on your first 2 sets of jackknifes you are supposed to do 8?

And I guess doing 45lbs and then 55lbs for the squats wasn't too outrageous. I think I'll try to do 65 next time though.

It is supposed to be 8 for the first 2 work outs.

I am afraid I may have done a little too much and I am feeling it today! I started on Tuesday and I a more sore today than I was yesterday.

I am 139 4'11"

And I did:
    Squats:
    2 20lb dumb bells for the first 15 and 17.5 for the 2nd. I go through them, but it was HARD! I think I did a little too much. Maybe 12.5 or 15s next time.
    Push ups:
    I did them at a 60% incline. Still hard but doable.
    Seated Row:
    40lbs, again, very doable.
    Step ups:
    2 20lb dumb bells-not too bad.
    Pron Jack knife:
    I liked these! I fell off the ball several times, but when I was on the ball they weren't too hard to do. I only did 8.

I am thinking since I can barely walk straight today that I need to start over next week and throw this week out the window. I hate that, but I can barely breath when I get out of my chair. Ugh.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    I've read that we can be even more sore two days later than the next day. I dread tomorrow.

I, also, fell off the ball a bit >.> Actually a lot.
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also started Tuesday and my legs are more sore than they were yesterday! Just about to go for the next round, looking forward to the deadlift but not the swiss ball crunch - (which sounds like a type of cereal to me!)