Question about dumbells

Options
Ok I love my work outs and I love strength training. This is my question. I need to up my weights to at least 25lbs each for a total of 50lbs for squats but my hands do not feel strong enough to hold on to this much weight. I will admit that I have inflammatory arthritis and carpel tunnel in my wrists (though this does not bother me during a workout or after). My hands are just very weak they have gotten stronger through this process but just not sure that they are ready to hold 25lbs for 6-8 reps at a time. The work out that I am doing calls for 6-8 reps very slow so no momentum but just one set do you think that maybe I should just stay at 20lbs for now and do more than one set? Or do you guys have another suggestions?

Replies

• trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    1. Are you working out at home or at a gym? If at a gym, have someone spot you.

2. Can you add more weight, but not 5 lbs on each side? Do you have access to 1 lb weights? Then you can add 2lbs on each side instead of 5 and work up to it.

Other than that, I am out of ideas...
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I work out at home and only have access to 2.5lbs plates and up. Thanks for your ideas though.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sounds like ChaLean Extreme? I started using resistance bands because the highest weights I have are 19.5 pounds. So far, it seems to be working. Fortunately/Unfortunately I still need more resistance for my squats though. I saw that there are some adjustable resistance bands on amazon where you can put multiple bands on the handles to increase resistance. This is currently part of my wish list.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Have you tried them with 25? Can you do as many reps as you can with the 25lb and then switch to 20 for the rest - develop the grip strength gradually?

Can you try gloves? SOmething like this might help. They are a little pricey though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X4TZYA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1Z1MYI3QJCLG2
  • Cclancaster
    Options
    Have you tried them with 25? Can you do as many reps as you can with the 25lb and then switch to 20 for the rest - develop the grip strength gradually?

Can you try gloves? SOmething like this might help. They are a little pricey though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X4TZYA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1Z1MYI3QJCLG2

No I haven't tried the 25 yet but my hands get extremely tired using the 20's. Have you used this type of thing before? I have tried gloves they don't help actually an actual glove is worse cause I fell like I have to squeeze harder. They look like they could be useful though I am not sure how they work by just looking at the pictures.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't used them myself, one of my friends on MFP uses them. Maybe just regular straps would be the right tool:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-NB52-Lifting-Straps/dp/B001F1Y1EO/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1335434740&sr=1-3-catcorr

or

http://www.amazon.com/Schiek-Sports-Lifting-Strap-Dowel/dp/B00117YTSU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1270847481&sr=8-2-fkmr0

(But no, I've not used any straps before, yet)
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, and my other half got me some straps. Tried them with him helping, you can do them yourself. it did make it easier, but have only used them once. you have to make sure that you dont let get of the end!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok I love my work outs and I love strength training. This is my question. I need to up my weights to at least 25lbs each for a total of 50lbs for squats but my hands do not feel strong enough to hold on to this much weight. I will admit that I have inflammatory arthritis and carpel tunnel in my wrists (though this does not bother me during a workout or after). My hands are just very weak they have gotten stronger through this process but just not sure that they are ready to hold 25lbs for 6-8 reps at a time. The work out that I am doing calls for 6-8 reps very slow so no momentum but just one set do you think that maybe I should just stay at 20lbs for now and do more than one set? Or do you guys have another suggestions?

Ok, I don't have any issues as you mentioned, so you may need to consider getting hooks or straps. BUT I will say, I used to use hooks and was told not to because the only way to get the strength in the forearms to hold the weight, is to do it w/o. If you want to build them up, I would suggest, pushing to hold the 25's, when you absolutely can't, then drop them and for the rest of the set use the 20lbs. You then take your whatever sec rest and pick back up the 25s and do the same. That way you build the strength...if you use the straps you won't.
  • Cclancaster
    Options
    Thanks guys this gives me some amazing suggestions. One last thing what if I got a strap or something similiar and only used it after my hands started to feel like they can't do it on their own? So start my workout not using them and then when I feel like my hands are giving out but not the area I am working out use the strap this way I can continue with the weight I am using but release some of the pressure off of my forearms?
  • Cclancaster
    Options
    bump.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this gives me some amazing suggestions. One last thing what if I got a strap or something similiar and only used it after my hands started to feel like they can't do it on their own? So start my workout not using them and then when I feel like my hands are giving out but not the area I am working out use the strap this way I can continue with the weight I am using but release some of the pressure off of my forearms?

I would say, since you don't have any pain during or after...let's strengthen up the forearms...lift the heavier weight when you can't hold any longer pick up the lighter set, finish rep, rest for the minute, then pick back up the heavy set can't hold...etc.

Each time you try to hold heavy one for one rep longer than the last time...to gain that strength.

If you find that just isn't working, then resort to the straps.
  • Cclancaster
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!!