Calling all geeks! Help me pick a tablet!

Options
tageekly
tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
Here's the deal geeks - I would like to get a tablet and I'm not really into Apple products (will admitting that get me banned from the group?).

I would like something that will play video - nothing high def, surf the web, read ebooks, play music, and run apps on Android. What do you think - Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy, or ???

Replies

• HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have the nook tablet, I got it cause it's relatively cheap. I can do all the below on it. Not an apple fanboy and I'm going to root it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Your specifications are almost exactly what I want! Watching this thread closely :happy:
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's what I commented on Pinuplove's question:

I have a nookcolor and I love it! I would highly recommend a nook tablet! Half the price of the ipad but can do anything the ipad can do with the exception of itunes but you have access to the Android marketplace. Which is the equivalent of the itunes store and there are tons of apps for the Android tablets, including one of my favorites....Angry Birds! Plus, I know that my nookcolor is so user friendly compared to the Kindle Fire. Maybe I'm biased but I also, love the fact that my nookcolor has a loan feature for books! So any books I purchase,and I can share them with any of my friends. Kind of like a library book. Which by the way, you can now borrow books from your local library for any of the ereader devices. Just an FYI!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the nook tablet can play movies too. In fact, I believe that it comes with a free trial of netflix! Plus, you can free trials of magazines on your nook tablet too to try! I love mine!!!
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    my sister has a toshiba thrive which she loves while the bro in law has an apple ipad both seem pretty nice and can do about the same things. Only issues with ipad is that there is no expandable memory and the Thrive like a lot of other tables you can expand the memory with a card. Not sure if that helps but good luck :smile:
  • pinuplove
    Options
    my sister has a toshiba thrive which she loves while the bro in law has an apple ipad both seem pretty nice and can do about the same things. Only issues with ipad is that there is no expandable memory and the Thrive like a lot of other tables you can expand the memory with a card. Not sure if that helps but good luck :smile:

My biggest gripe with the kindle fire is that it doesn't take a card. Even my phone will take a 32gb micro! But i still think its the best option for what I want. I'm not really looking to spend the $$ for an iPad or anything that is similarly priced. I don't need it to do anything fancy. Thanks :smile:
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    Options
    So why go with the kindle instead of the nook? Just the amazon marketplace?
  • tageekly
    Options
    Aah, I read your mind PUL - we want the same thing!

Does the nook tablet have an expandable memory? I could look it up but I'll let the research to y'all. :wink:
  • pinuplove
    Options

Cuz I'm an Amazon junkie? lol And with Amazon prime I can stream their movies and tv on it.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    Options

Cuz I'm an Amazon junkie? lol And with Amazon prime I can stream their movies and tv on it.

That makes sense. :) Also, I would never ever EVER admit to having a ton of epubs of a lot of books and I would NEVER ever admit to be willing to send them to people.. Just sayin.. wink wink wink wink wink.. nudge.
  • tageekly
    Options
    Also, I would never ever EVER admit to having a ton of epubs of a lot of books and I would NEVER ever admit to be willing to send them to people.. Just sayin.. wink wink wink wink wink.. nudge.

While not admitting that I would accept said epubs that you don't have I will message you my email.

129136044431481200.jpg
  • tageekly
    Options
    Any other opinions? I think I've decided but thought I'd ask in case "others" are watching this thread.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about Apple, don't drink the kool-aid. The last Apple product I used ( and still own ) is my Apple IIe.
    I haven't heard anything too bad about the Kindle fire. Just depends on what you want to do.

BTW...some of us "old" guys prefer our books on paper....
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm really loving my Asus Transformer Prime - Android OS. It's got great memory capacity, thinner than an iPad, crazy fast Tegra3 processor and a stunning screen...It responds very well to touch, and there's really no lag. My only gripe is that I can't figure out how to get my damned flash player to work in a browser! That's really my only complaint...

Oh and it's got a micro SD card slot (I just found it on mine just now LOL), and usb via dongle.

I love the android market too, there's a lot of free content - unlike Apple where it's more controlled and less free.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    The Kindle Fire with Amazon Prime is AWESOME. But, you should be aware that it only has a subset of the Android apps available to it, not the full Android marketplace. So if that's a consideration, you may want to go "full tablet" like the Asus Transformer that ZC mentioned.
  • tageekly
    Options
    I just heard about the Asus and, while the flash player is a new issue, I like the other capabilities it has. Someone mentioned the external keyboard as a bonus, but I imagine most popular tablets have this as an option.
    The Kindle Fire with Amazon Prime is AWESOME. But, you should be aware that it only has a subset of the Android apps available to it, not the full Android marketplace. So if that's a consideration, you may want to go "full tablet" like the Asus Transformer that ZC mentioned.

I did not realize the KF had a limited Android marketplace... I only use a few apps (MFP of course), but I suppose that could be a factor in others' decisions.

Thanks for the feedback y'all!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have the Motorola Xoom and I love it. A friend of mine got the Nook and unless you root it, it is very problematic. I have heard similar things about the Kindle Fire.

The nice thing with not going for the Nook or Fire is that you don't HAVE to root it and you can access both the Nook and Kindle softwares.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It must be nice to live in areas where you can get free wi-fi, or not have to pay an extra $40 a month for data........
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm really loving my Asus Transformer Prime - Android OS. It's got great memory capacity, thinner than an iPad, crazy fast Tegra3 processor and a stunning screen...It responds very well to touch, and there's really no lag. My only gripe is that I can't figure out how to get my damned flash player to work in a browser! That's really my only complaint...

Oh and it's got a micro SD card slot (I just found it on mine just now LOL), and usb via dongle.

I love the android market too, there's a lot of free content - unlike Apple where it's more controlled and less free.

I got the same Asus tablet. Flash works for me. It only works with the standard browser. You need to download the Adobe Flash from the android market. do you have it? It will be listed under installed apps.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Any other opinions? I think I've decided but thought I'd ask in case "others" are watching this thread.

So, Miss Geekly, have you decided yet? Now my husband is trying to talk me out of the kindle because of the lack of expendable memory :grumble: He wants me to 'do more research' *sigh* Doesn't he know me by now?? I told him to find and order me one since he's being pickier about it than I am :tongue:
  • tageekly
    Options
    I think I've decided, but before I reveal my choice - why don't you decided on yours and tell me. I don't want my decision to unduly influence yours... :laugh: