Calling all geeks! Help me pick a tablet!

Options

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm really loving my Asus Transformer Prime - Android OS. It's got great memory capacity, thinner than an iPad, crazy fast Tegra3 processor and a stunning screen...It responds very well to touch, and there's really no lag. My only gripe is that I can't figure out how to get my damned flash player to work in a browser! That's really my only complaint...

Oh and it's got a micro SD card slot (I just found it on mine just now LOL), and usb via dongle.

I love the android market too, there's a lot of free content - unlike Apple where it's more controlled and less free.

I got the same Asus tablet. Flash works for me. It only works with the standard browser. You need to download the Adobe Flash from the android market. do you have it? It will be listed under installed apps.

Oh...I've been using google chrome... I'll try with the standard browser :) Thanks!!
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Any other opinions? I think I've decided but thought I'd ask in case "others" are watching this thread.

So, Miss Geekly, have you decided yet? Now my husband is trying to talk me out of the kindle because of the lack of expendable memory :grumble: He wants me to 'do more research' *sigh* Doesn't he know me by now?? I told him to find and order me one since he's being pickier about it than I am :tongue:

I have a Kindle Fire, and I haven't found memory to be a problem. Anything you purchase is saved on Amazon's cloud, so you can pretty easily remove and add things over and over if you run out of space. Also, if you're connected to WiFi, you can stream directly from the cloud without ever having to download it to your tablet. I love my Kindle Fire!
  • eprissel
    eprissel Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have an HP TouchPad which they do not make anymore but its a decent web browser and thats about it. I got it really cheap from someone that didnt want it anymore, I am planning on putting Android on it but I dont know what version to put on it, it seems like someone is putting out an update every night.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have an HP TouchPad which they do not make anymore but its a decent web browser and thats about it. I got it really cheap from someone that didnt want it anymore, I am planning on putting Android on it but I dont know what version to put on it, it seems like someone is putting out an update every night.

Ice Cream Sandwich is the latest from Android :)
  • eprissel
    Options

Yeah I know im waiting for it on my RAZR MAXX.
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

My husband just recently converted my HP Touchpad to Android's Ice Cream Sandwich, and it's awesome. It actually dual boots, so you can still boot into the regular OS (if you want to).
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Rooting the nook tablet tomorrow, pray for me.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Rooting the nook tablet tomorrow, pray for me.

Post an update about how it goes. I considered doing that to mine but never got around to it and now I'm going to replace it anyway with something new.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    Options
    The nook is rooted, I am running cyogen mod 7 on it and all my amazon and google apps work.

It doesn't have a camera, GPS or bluetooth.. But for 250 its a damn awesome 7 inch tablet
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I think I've decided, but before I reveal my choice - why don't you decided on yours and tell me. I don't want my decision to unduly influence yours... :laugh:

Ok girly, I'm posting from my Galaxy tab! My other half chose it so no judging :tongue: It's so weird after using my HTC EVO for so long!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Another Xoom tablet user here. Its not as sleek as some of the other brands, but it is sturdy and reliable.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have an iPad2 for work, and honestly, I did not poop rainbows and see stars fall from the sky when I started using it. It mostly collects dust on my desk. I don't see what the big whoop is about. However, If the Galaxy Tab is half as good as my Galaxy SII phone, I may poop said rainbow.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the ASUS Transformer and I love it =) very easy to use, lightweight and decent sound for videos and music.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have the ASUS Transformer and I love it =) very easy to use, lightweight and decent sound for videos and music.

same. does everything I need.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    Options
    Yeah, i'm stupid happy with my nook. If you go with it, I'll walk you through rooting it.

Plus - Cheap / Powerful / Compact
    Minus - No camera/bluetooth/gps - Some apps are a bit wonky still.
  • twkelly
    twkelly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Asus Transformer for me! I love it. Tablet takes a memory card, keyboard dock takes a memory card, keyboard dock has extra battery that charges the tablet battery (tablet docked will last for at least 14 hours). It is awesome.
  • Mythel
    Mythel Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm posting this right now from my Toshiba thrive which I love!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    For anyone who has yet to get one...allow me shed some insight from the inside of the industry....

Stripped down answer - Apple iPAD2 (unless you are graphics geek like myself, then the 3)

Best bang for your buck - Kindle Fire - But you also get what you pay for. It has its limitations - Memory & marketplace for aps being the biggest of concerns.

If you swear off Apple, ASUS is dominating, though the SONY has much better appeal. Both have cons with the greater on them being with intermittent wireless issues on SONY.

If you are or will do more than Web, email, & Aps - You NEED the iPad. 2 vs. 3 is EXTREMELY minimal, and while I have the 3, go with a 2 unless you fit the aforementioned graphics comment.

Only major issue for those of you who swear by Android - unless you know WTF you are doing by wiping out an OS and reloading...the OS by Androids have a 2-year road map for support. This means in 2 years, you will need to get a new one or screw with the OS.

The best thing about Apple - it just works. And they continue to push support for all OS.
  • eprissel
    Options

My husband just recently converted my HP Touchpad to Android's Ice Cream Sandwich, and it's awesome. It actually dual boots, so you can still boot into the regular OS (if you want to).

Could you please message me a link to the steps he used and what version?

Thanks
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Because I know you've all been waiting for me to report back (hence why this thread hasn't been active), I just ordered an Asus Transformer Prime. I had to do more research and find time to price compare and I finally had a free night tonight and ordered one. So excited to get it!!