breake between reps

Options
Martucha123
Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
Hi all,
I just have started lifting and I have one silly question,

I know it's ok to struggle with last reps, but is it ok to take a break between reps?

F.E. if I do squats, after 8 reps I'm all red and sweaty (I aim for 12 reps),
is it ok if I stop for 5-10sec (with barbel on my back) to take few deep breaths?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Most programs advocate a break between sets of reps. Perhaps shorten your reps per set- instead of 12 at a go- do 5/rest/5/rest/2 done. For hypertrophy- shorter breaks (90 seconds) for strength take longer breaks but increase your workload (3-5 minute breaks but lifting heavier weights)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I try not to take breaks between reps. The most I do is 5 reps per set.
  • Martucha123
    Options
    thanks
    I guess I will lower reps then
    as the only problem is i'm out of breath after 8-10 reps...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have for like 2-3 seconds before just because I know I can do more, just need to catch my breath. 5-10 seconds? No, I wouldn't see the point, but would rather just stop there / lower the rep range.

Maybe 12 reps is a bit much for you? I know if I did 12 reps on squats I'd be exhausted, I usually up the weight when I can do 8.
  • Martucha123
    Options
    I agree that 12 might be a bit much, but I have read that begginers should go with higher reps, lower weight, to allow small muscles that are responsable for stabilizing to develop.

I guess 8 reps might be good point of start.

I don't think my rest time is more than 3 secs though. I literally take 2 breaths

thanks
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    2 breaths is not that much. :) If you just started lifting stick with the higher reps, lower weights until you are comfortable with form and the whole thing. After let's say a couple weeks up the weight and lower the reps. I don't think a breath or two between reps. is really taking a break. Don't over think it too much, have fun! :)
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have for like 2-3 seconds before just because I know I can do more, just need to catch my breath. 5-10 seconds? No, I wouldn't see the point, but would rather just stop there / lower the rep range.

Maybe 12 reps is a bit much for you? I know if I did 12 reps on squats I'd be exhausted, I usually up the weight when I can do 8.

Agreed. Sometimes I need that 2-3 seconds to build up the mental and physical strength to make it through those last couple of reps. any longer than that and I think you need to just take a normal break and begin a new set. Look over your workouts at the end and see if you need to adjust your weight so you can meet your rep goals. I like heavy weight, apx 6-8 reps per set.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    2 breaths is not that much. :) If you just started lifting stick with the higher reps, lower weights until you are comfortable with form and the whole thing. After let's say a couple weeks up the weight and lower the reps. I don't think a breath or two between reps. is really taking a break. Don't over think it too much, have fun! :)

This is also true. If you are still very new, make sure you are not using such a heavy weight that you are compromising your form. The goal is not just to get those reps out, but to do them with correct form. If you find that your last couple of reps are very sloppy then you need to adjust your program so that you are getting the most out of your workout and not putting yourself at risk for injury.