Want To Start Next Week - Few Questions

Options
zukkiz
zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
I used to lift when I was young and LOVED it. Now that I am 43 with 6 children I need to start again. Our youngest it 10 mths and I breastfeed. I'm already consuming at least 1650 calories a day +300 for breastfeeding. I've been losing pretty well I have just decided that being fit is better for me than just being smaller.

I was just wondering if, since I am 5'5.5" and weigh 172.5 (goal 150), if I should wait to start until I have lost these extra pounds, or should I just go for it?

Is everyone here also following the diet to a T?

I love the concept of the diet, I have no problem with all the protein, I am just not a "sugar-free" kind of person.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• zukkiz
    Options
    Bump
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I'm not doing the diet - well - not fully. I'm going mostly by the macronutrients (sometimes just the calories), but i do aim for 3 protein shakes a day to ensure i get my protein in every day.

I hear the Paleo diet being mentioned by a lot of people who do NROLFW and it seems like a winner - though it seems too boring and restrictive to me. (I'm way too much of a foodie..)
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've got 30 llbs to lose and I've started on this. I hope that by lifting and eating right I'll lose weight during the process. And if I don't lose weight but my clothes become baggy I'll be quite happy with that :)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You don't have to wait until you lose the pounds, go for it! If nothing else, it will add challenge to your pushups and other body-weight exercises :D

Most people here are not following the diet to the T. I think I am like most people in that I aim for the macronutrient percentages but I have trouble getting all the protien. Also, I think a general trend here is that few of us want to eat as much as the book recommends. I try to eat no fewer than 300 kcal less, and some days I manage to eat all 1900 calories, but that's usually because I had a brownie or something :)
  • zukkiz
    Options
    My husband says I should start now too. So I am biting the bullet and diving in.

Thanks so much for your responses. I won't have any issue with eating the calories, since, I breast feed. My husband lifts as well so I know he'll guide me towards a great protein powder. I could never do Paleo, because I believe grains are necessary. Plus I have diverticulitis, and need high fiber.

We just have yo get a barbell and we are set.
  • zukkiz
    Options
    I forgot to ask should I add back the 300 for breastfeeding?
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'd keep the 300 BF calories too, unless you're ready to wean, then you could play it by ear to see if you're hungry for them, or losing well & maintaining your milk supply without them.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would start now and keep the BF calories! You may find you need to actually increase more on lifting days - or the day after.
  • zukkiz
    Options
    Thanks. I am going to keep those calories. The more I thought about it I realized the extra calories I was doing was for the lifting and I needed the extra 300 for breastfeeding.

So it will be 2600 lifting days and 2330 rest days. Um, wow!!!

You think that's a little much?
  • zukkiz
    Options
    Oops, miscalculation. It is 2199 on lift days and 1927 on rest days.