What's your routine?

Options
rchupka87
rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
So obviously, we are all doing the same program here. But, as I have been talking to several people, I am finding out that we all do it differently. Inside vs. outside, incline vs. no incline... etc. So I wanna know, what's everyone's routine? Do you stretch before you start? What stretches do you do? How fast are you walking/jogging? Anyone else run with their dogs? or a running partner? Are we all going at this alone?

Replies

• rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'll go first. I do not stretch beforehand. Jillian Michaels taught me this... in the 30DS, she says never to do static stretching before a workout, only after. I figure the 5 minute warm up is enough to get my muscles ready. Then again, I am really sore today, so maybe I need to re-think this.... more research to come. :) I prefer to run outside, since I will be running outside in the actual race. I like the advantages of knowing speed and distance on the treadmill, but if I can be outside, I will be. On the treadmill, I walk at 3.2 and run at 4.9. Outside, I have NO idea. LOL I have two dogs, but I only run with Harley. She is a german shepherd/lab mix, has a lot of energy, and really needs the exercise. Lexi, my big baby, is an english mastiff - she'd fall over after a block. Plus, she just had surgery on her leg a month ago. Even if she would run with us, I don't think she could right now.... I don't have a running partner. Just a girl, her dog, and an iPod.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

It depends on the day for me, though I'm almost always by myself-- and I like it this way!-- with my iPod. On Tuesday I ran outside because it was gorgeous (and I was already home, and my gym is right next to work but that's 20 mins away), but today it's raining and gross and I wanted to get my workout out of the way before work so I was at the gym.

I have no idea how I'm doing when I'm outside, but on the treadmill this morning I was pretty consistently walking at 3.5-3.8 and jogging at 5.2. It almost feels like I'm faster when I'm outside, but what do I know?

I don't stretch first because I've always been trained to "not stretch cold muscles". I will, however, stop to stretch if I need to (saved me from shin splints on Tuesday!) and just pick up where I left off. I definitely stretch quads, hams, and hips after because if I didn't, I'd be hurting. And I started Stronglifts 5x5 on Wednesday, so I'm hurting as it is!
  • StephMykytuk
    Options
    Morning

I am doing it all outside. I have an elliptical at home but not a treadmill. But its nice to get outside and summer is coming! I am a little concerned about when the wether gets really warm. I usually do my walk/run right after work, before supper. Maybe in the summer I will try and get up and go in the morning. That would mean having to get up at 5:15am. Yikes! Otherwise we live right across the screet from a gym and they have an indoor track so maybe I will do that.

I am not too sure of my speed. I know for sure that I am going to have to repeat week one. I haven't been able to do the whole set yet of run/walk. I think I just need to convice myself I can be a runner. I have never ran in my life before. I remember in high school we always had to do this 6 lap run and It would always take me about 20 mins, I would always walk fast but never ran.

I usually take my dog with me. She is a ****zu/bischon and she loves to get outside. She is distracting a little bit as she gets excited when she sees other animals! But hopefully she will get bettter. Otherwise its just my ipod and my dog. I prefer it that way. I don't think I would want to run with someone else. This way I can go at the speed that works for me!

Good luck to everyone else!

Oh and I always stretch after and inbetween if need be!